Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 11:29   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Brand has the best and most economical ASS and which is the costliest?

In recent times, service centers from pretty much all brands push unnecessary cost items down the throat of customers - polishing, waxing, upholstery cleaning, AC duct cleaning, wiper change, teflon coating, brakes cleaning, door interior panel coating, underbody coating, wheel/alignment balancing at double the price - the list goes on. You have to ask them to remove it from the "to do" list.

They have all become like banks that try to push life insurance policies down the throat of customers.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:14   #212
BHPian

Re: Which Brand has the best and most economical ASS and which is the costliest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
another friend told me a person serviced a Rapid at 20000kms for a whopping 40000rs. Not sure how much it is true though and whether anything was changed.
There's something amiss here. Vento/Rapid service intervals are at 15K Kms/1year intervals, whichever comes first. So a 20K service seems odd. He may be referring to a repair cost, but to shell out 40K from pocket, it has to be some major work.

My Rapid's 15K/1 year service cost was somewhere between 7-8K. While my Hyundai i10's service interval suggested by the service center is every 6 months, and I usually shell out 4-5K at each visit.

This is after striking out every unnecessary "cleaning" / "polishing" add ons which both Skoda and Hyundai puts in their service cost estimates.
Horizon81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:29   #213
BHPian

Fiat service is not expensive. It is on par with others. The spares are not too expensive either. Its just that the initially launched products were/are glitchy and require expensive maintenance (though one time jobs) viz. Timing chain replacement failure in 90 hp models, ground clearance kit, gear box synchro ring failure.
I've just spent 57 k on a brand new suspension /brakes/rotors/rubber plastics on my 2010 linea. The labour was about 6k. Taxes 7k.The car war serviced at a Tata ASS. Parts were ordered online from Mumbai to Ludhiana and reached in 3 days. The guys doing the jobs were OK. Experienced in doing the respective jobs as apparently they are the only FIAT ASS around now. But they do have an attitude of Replace everything /repair nothing, but I guess that's what all ASS are upto these days. They also do engine repairs as hydrolock is a common occurrence during rains and its fairly priced I'd say.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 14:11   #214
Senior - BHPian

Lets us have a fair comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
Obviously I've heard that the Maruti ASS is the best with its widest coverage in the country and decent enough pricing.

I've also heard from a lot of people that brands like Ford and Hyundai are costly in terms of the service and spare parts cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
3) Hyundai definitely was costly and is still costly. But still I believe is lower than Skoda/VW. Maruti is almost catching up to Hyundai now in terms of costs. Hyundai service is generally accepted as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have never owed Hyundai, but from what my friends say, their service charges are rising monotonically and so are the cost of spares.
See, there lies the problem. We are passing judgements based of feelings and hearsay.

Last time I checked, this forum believes in facts and figures.

I have posted the service charges for Hyundai cars (as a happily satisfied Hyundai customer).

http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.i...harges-40.aspx

Lets other car owners post the data for their car brands. Then we will compare apples to apples.

For the purpose of a fair comparison, following needs to be met:
1. Service charges should be from a reliable source, such as company website, which is updated as and when required. Information on dealer websites or excel sheets cannot be considered reliable as it may not be updated.
2. Service charges should be compared for car models in the same price segment and same fuel type.
3. Service charges should be compared for same tier of city.
4. Service charges should be compared in the same time frame.

If one is going to compare the 10 year old service charges of an entry level Maruti petrol hatchback in a tier 3 city with the current service charges of an other brand diesel sedan in a tier 1 city, it is bound to be as different as chalk and cheese. Unfortunately that is what happens most of the time.

Also, we all expect our salary to keep increasing every year, but will always keep complaining about increasing service costs for the cars. We never complain about the inflation in essential commodities, clothing, cosmetics, medical costs, but we expect the car service charges to remain the same as they were in the 90s. I find this very amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findviru View Post
Thanks bhaskar.guru for starting this thread. I own an Alto and do servicing at Maruti ASS. People think it is economical but I dont think as service costs at Maruti are rising.
My colleague owns Alto (previous gen 800cc) and I generally accompany him for servicing. I have observed that the service and spare parts charges are higher than my Hyundai i10 1100cc.

Rohan
Old 29th July 2016, 15:05   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?

I own a '11 WagonR 1.0. My service costs have been 3-4k per visit (8k kms or 1 year). The only time it was 4.4k was because the service was done at our doorstep by their mobile van and the labour charge for that service was 1.5k. I am careful and don't entertain requests to perform a injector cleaning/polishing/engine additive etc.
Old 29th July 2016, 15:26   #216
BANNED

My Ford Aspire Petrol Automatic had its first paid service at 10000 kms and it cost about ₹1500. It was a surprise as my colleague had his Polo automatic serviced for ₹12000! Both cars are from bit different segments, but the Volkswagen service is definitely costlier. I don't why Volkswagen is so costlier, but that's not a good thing in India. Most of the Volkswagen owners vouch that they won't return for another purchase.
Old 29th July 2016, 16:45   #217
Team-BHP Support

I recently got all three of my cars serviced.

'10 Honda City: routine 50k service which included engine oil, oil filter, air filter, a/c filter and throttle body cleaning. Total bill Rs. 7500.

'13 Hyundai i20 1.2 petrol: routine 20k service which included engine oil, oil additive (he said this was necessary), oil filter and wheel alignment/balancing. Total bill Rs. 7500.

'16 Ford EcoSport 1.5 P AT: first free service but asked for engine oil and oil filter to be replaced. Total bill Rs. 1150.

The servicing bills for our Zen were near about in the same range; maybe 500-1k less.

I don't think any one particular of these mass manufacturers is cheaper or more expensive than the others.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 08:13   #218
BHPian

Sorry Guys I don't have detailed information about my services. but the following I had noted down so I am sharing for the cars I have owned in past 5 yrs in Bangalore :-

1) Swift DDiS (2010-12)
1000kms Service => 2700rs
6000kms Service => 1662rs
10000kms Service => 2500rs
15000kms Service => 1700rs
20000kms Service => 8961rs
25000kms Service => 2100rs
Total Service Cost ==> 19623rs
Avg Cost of Service/km ==> 0.78rs

2) Fiesta Classic TDCi (2011-13)
5000kms Service => 3250rs
10000kms Service => 2839rs
20000kms Service => 5876rs
30000kms Service => 6240rs
Total Service Cost ==> 18205rs
Avg Cost of Service/km ==> 0.60rs

3) Ertiga ZDi (2013-till date)
10000kms Service => 8747rs
20000kms Service => 13739 (Front brake pads changed)
30000kms Service => 10731rs
35000kms Service => 10691rs (Front brake pads replaced, EGR hose replacement)
42000kms Service => 16000rs (incl 1200rs for windscreen 3M treatment)
Total Service Cost ==> 59908rs
Avg Cost of Service/km ==> 1.43rs

So overall in a nutshell if I consider the service costs for all three cars till 30000kms, Swift was 19623rs, Fiesta was 18205rs and Ertiga was 33217rs.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 31st July 2016 at 08:19.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 08:37   #219
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Skoda Yeti normal annual Servicing cost - 15000~23000 depending on if any extra jobs are scheduled by me.
If any replacements or other additions are needed the bill in a year can go up to ~ Rs 60-65K - for example this year, a new set of tyres ~ 24K + Fender Protector Extenders from Skoda ~ 20K + in another week or two, Im replacing my A Pillars which got damaged in a car wash in 2013 and I never bothered about them till now preferring to simply stick em back and cover the damage with cheap carbon fibre wrap from 3M. Now replacing these is going to cost around 10K.

Add to this the annual service in December and I imagine another 18K so all in all this year I would have spent about 80-85K on my Yeti, but this is an aberration.
Like I said, the normal plain jane standard annual servicing cost sits at about 15-18K...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 09:19   #220
J.Ravi

My XUV 500, The Miser!

I always believed that maintaining a petrol car is more economical than that of a diesel car. I am proved wrong. It's a myth, atleast in case of my past and present cars. After 40 k km, my erstwhile petrol Linea and the present XUV 500 cost almost the same for maintenance, numerically. But, considering the factors like big SUV v sedan, 2.2 litre engine v 1.4 litre engine, turbo-charged v naturally aspirated, diesel v petrol and 2013-15 v 2009-12, my XUV 500 is a proven miser!

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-linea.jpg

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-02112015sireesh.jpg
  (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 09:53   #221
Senior - BHPian

Although it is too early to comment on the service costs of my TUV, the first two (free labor) services have costed me Rs 2374/- and Rs 4575/- respectively. Here is the break-up of part charges.

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-3k-service-details.jpg

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-service-breakup-10k.jpg

So as of now the maintenance is coming out to be Rs 0.70/km for the first 10K kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
But, considering the factors like big SUV v sedan, 2.2 litre engine v 1.4 litre engine, turbo-charged v naturally aspirated, diesel v petrol and 2013-15 v 2009-12, my XUV 500 is a proven miser!
Wonderful, one request here though. Ravi Sir, if you don't mind can you please upload a bigger picture or larger font size, because as of now the service costs picture that you uploaded is not legible.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 31st July 2016 at 09:56.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 10:38   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Although it is too early to comment on the service costs of my TUV, the first two (free labor) services have costed me Rs 2374/- and Rs 4575/- respectively. Here is the break-up of part charges.
OT: There's a line item in the first pic: "Resonator Vacuum (Replacement under Recall)". That along with Vacuum Modulator EGR and FDM that are done FoC.

Is there a recall on a TUV part already?!
Old 31st July 2016, 12:07   #223
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
if you don't mind can you please upload a bigger picture or larger font size, because as of now the service costs picture that you uploaded is not legible.
Here are the two screen-shots of the maintenance history of my erstwhile Linea adequately magnified:

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-linea1.jpg

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-linea2.jpg

XUV 500's maintenance history could be read easily by clicking on the image.
  (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 13:28   #224
Senior - BHPian

In 118000 kms following is the details of money spent on my 2008 Swift vxi:
  • Service and repairs: 94,113
  • Battery: 4,890
  • Tyres: 43,404
  • Miscellaneous: 5000
  • Total: 1,42,317

This figure is with synthetic oil. I have incomplete records of cost insurance so that is not included here. Fuel cost is also excluded for the same reasons. ( it gives a fuel economy of 12 kmpl n city and 14 on highways).
Old 31st July 2016, 14:27   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
OT: There's a line item in the first pic: "Resonator Vacuum (Replacement under Recall)". That along with Vacuum Modulator EGR and FDM that are done FoC.

Is there a recall on a TUV part already?!
You are right, those are recall parts. During both the above services, 3K and 10K kms, there was a recall for 3 parts in each service.

3K service:
  • RESONATOR VACUUM (Replacement under recall)
  • VACUUM MODULATOR EGR
  • FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM)
10K service:
  • ABS lamp continuous ON, cable setting
  • Radiator hose replacement (as there were some coolant leakage complaints)
  • EMS data flashing
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed