Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th July 2019, 22:06   #226
BANNED

Default what about maintainence costs ?

Hi

I have been an avid follower of this forum for many years and would like to thank all for such an engaged and informative forum .

Over time, I am realising that one thing that is kind of missing is discussions and details of maintenance costs. Yes, they are there on and off, but for the kind of detail that is normally associated with posts on Team-BHP, it's not so for maintenance costs. The general mention is that these costs are high or low!

This i.e. maintenance costs are an essential part of car ownership as well as purchase decisions and will really add to the depth of knowledge on this forum.

The formal Team-BHP reviews can be a good start for capturing maintenance costs - maybe taking them on the basis of the maintenance schedule of the car or maybe one of the experts can start a thread on comparative maintenance costs.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 14th July 2019 at 16:23. Reason: Typos, language
Old 14th July 2019, 12:00   #227
BHPian

Default Re: what about maintainence costs ?

Sounds good.

I shall list the maintenance cost of my cars :-

1. Hyundai elantra 2005 gls

Regular servicing - 9000Rs
Incl - Engine oil, Filters etc and labour costs

2. Scorpio Vlx 2008
Regular servicing - 11000Rs
Incl engine oil, tightening of doors, lubricating doors, Filters etc and labour costs.

These are the costs from the last service of the two vehicles. Both done in 2019
Old 14th July 2019, 12:34   #228
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: what about maintainence costs ?

Depending on running, engine type and segment, the maintenance costs vary between Rs.0.50 per kilometer to Rs.10.00 per kilometer.

For example

Service cost of My Alto K10 is around Rs.3.5K every year. As I run less than 4K km, it is around Rs.1/km. If I run 10K km it will come down to Rs. 0.35/km.

A single service of S Class Mercedes may exceed Rs.1,00,000/, while that of E Class Rs.40,000/. So if you run 15K km between service, the S Class will be around Rs.6/km, while a E Class Rs.3/km. Lower running between service will increase per kilometer cost.

From what I have gleaned, WAG cars cost around Rs.1/km for service.

Just keep in mind that for lower segment these are pure service and oil change costs. For higher segment cars it may include all sorts of consumables - brakes shoes, rotors etc.

Last edited by Aroy : 14th July 2019 at 12:36.
Old 3rd May 2020, 21:30   #229

Default Re: Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?

My wife's Santro of 2006 used to cost me anywhere between 15 k to 20 k for regular service in Bangalore in 2018 19 at blue hyundai Bangalore and the one near corporation circle charged me 35000 for no major work. Till I called the online app car i forgot the app name.
The running was 6km a day 25 a week. For a more run car of a colleague who brought wagon r a week after me, the service cost in Mumbai and Nagpur was approx 4.5 to 6000. So it is no myth that Maruti service cost less. I am going for Maruti now.
thelonewolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 22:47   #230
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?

For my i10, a normal yearly service costs at the max Rs 3500. I prefer getting my car aligned and wheels balanced from outside. It includes all filters, labour, oil change etc.

My Activa 5G costs me approx 900/service every 3 months (Yes it's costlier than my car). Though my run is not much more so I'm planning to shift to 6 monthly intervals. Anyone doing the same for their vehicles?
Old 3rd May 2020, 23:19   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonewolf View Post
My wife's Santro of 2006 used to cost me anywhere between 15 k to 20 k for regular service in Bangalore in 2018 19 at blue hyundai Bangalore and the one near corporation circle charged me 35000 for no major work......So it is no myth that Maruti service cost less. I am going for Maruti now.
For perspective, my 2004 Santro costs me 2.5-3k a year to service at my FNG. The same at Hyundai costs me around 5k. Of course, this is assuming no major parts have to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
My Activa 5G costs me approx 900/service every 3 months (Yes it's costlier than my car). Though my run is not much more so I'm planning to shift to 6 monthly intervals. Anyone doing the same for their vehicles?
I have a 2015 Shine that costs me approx Rs 800-900 to service at Honda. I get it done once a year since my yearly running is always less than 1000 kms (more like ~800kms).
Old 3rd May 2020, 23:29   #232
BHPian

Quote:

Isn't the regular service interval like 6 months or some thousand kms whichever comes first? Why are you taking it in every 3?
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 23:59   #233
BHPian

Hey Peeps,

1. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDI+ :

The car is at about 55K Kms after 2.5 years of ownership. The service intervals have been 10K kms or within one year. The average cost of service has been about Rs 7-8k per service as per authorised checklist. Even the Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire Vdi owned previously also saw 85K kms before we sold her off. The average cost was similar to the aforesaid costs.

2. Triumph Street Triple 675 :

Owning a Superbike is not a piece of cake. Itís as good as owning a premium car just for weekend fun. The bike is at about 23K kms after 4 years of ownership. The service intervals have been 10K kms or within one year. However, every odd 10K kms I.e. 10k, 30k kms and so on are minor service intervals where the average costs are about Rs 7-8k and every even 10k kms i.e. 20K, 40K kms are major service intervals which includes, service kit replacements and few more checkpoints; collectively costing about Rs 18-20K per major service. But with a superbike, there are lot many other spends as well apart from service like - Tyre set (Cost - Rs 25K a pair), Front Brake pads (Cost - 8K) which roughly will surprise you at every 15K kms.

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-a176cee69e6c42e0bb22312dab6e891d.jpeg

Cheers
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 01:23   #234
BHPian

Talking about service costs, for my Ford Aspire TDCi I've to spend around 3,000 to 4,000 for each service. Car has run 86k kms till date.

Apart from this, there are some scheduled maintenance, all of which I've listed in my ownership thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...80-000-km.html
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 10:04   #235
Senior - BHPian

I have run 18,400 in my Alto K10 since I bought it in August 2010 (less than 2K/year. or 150km/month). Most of the journeys are of less than a km each way - markets etc) The annual Service cost at MASS started at Rs.1,300/ and is Rs.3,300/ now. The service consists of
. Washing
. Oil and filter change
. Air Filter change
. General checking of spark plugs, gear oil and battery water.

The increase is primarily due to inflation and increase in taxes which were at around 5% in 2010 and are now 28% on parts and labour.

To date I have spent Rs 21K on service and repairs - two rims, one tyre and various small repairs and replacement. By the way I have also spent 1.05L on fuel.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 18:35   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Isn't the regular service interval like 6 months or some thousand kms whichever comes first? Why are you taking it in every 3?
AFAIK and remember with 2 previous Activas, service interval is 3 months only. I'll still cross verify with the service manual.
Old 4th May 2020, 19:37   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonewolf View Post
My wife's Santro of 2006 used to cost me anywhere between 15 k to 20 k for regular service in Bangalore in 2018 19 at blue hyundai Bangalore and the one near corporation circle charged me 35000 for no major work.
There is a 2008 i10 (P) in the family which I extensively use. The regular service intervals is 6 months or 5000 kms whichever is earlier. A regular service costs me about 5k-9k at Hyundai ASS and the same costs 3k- 6k at FNG.

Quote:
I have a 2016 Activa 125 and it has a 4 month or 3-4k kms regular service interval. I get it serviced regularly every quarter at Honda ASS and it costs me about Rs.900-1400 each time. Average is about Rs.1000 per service. Now since the EW got over I'm pushing the 6th month since last service. The oil has darkened a bit but have not lost its viscosity and doesn't seem to have any sludge. My mileage is about 700- 900 kms per month. Now I'm waiting for lockdown restrictions to be lifted so that I can get it serviced. Some excessive vibration from the body panels are there now also feel like every bolt needs some tightening. Other than this there is no problem, engine doesn't sound gruff and it is still super smooth at 50kmph. So I guess it is safe to stretch the service intervals to 6 months or 5-6k kms for Activa. Provided the warranty and EW are over and the FNG is trustworthy.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 23:06   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post
I have a 2016 Activa 125 and it has a 4 month or 3-4k kms regular service interval. I get it serviced regularly every quarter at Honda ASS and it costs me about Rs.900-1400 each time. Average is about Rs.1000 per service. Now since the EW got over I'm pushing the 6th month since last service. The oil has darkened a bit but have not lost its viscosity and doesn't seem to have any sludge. My mileage is about 700- 900 kms per month.
Mine is going to cross 2 years on 10th. I've had to unintentionally push the service since I was lazy in March and then the lockdown happened. This will probably be my last service at an ASS, will be probably changing the oil every 5-6 months myself. Since my running is low right now (4kms in 4*1km runs), I'll probably get the spark plug and air filter cleaned once a year.
I'm also pushing my i10 which has hardly run 4000 kms over the year since it's last service in Mar 19. Oil looks good though.
Old 5th May 2020, 00:33   #239
BHPian

I have a 2009 make Indica Vista Aqua TDI model (Engine same as Indigo). It has been driven only 43k kms till date.

As soon as the extended warranty ended I have taken it to neighborhood garages (NG and not FNG). I would not call them as "Friendly" as I am yet to find one. I hardly trust anyone when it comes to my cars service because the sweetest people have duped me in the process. I always make a point to get the car serviced in my presence.

10,000 kms or 1 year is my car service interval. All the consumables I buy it on my own and carry it to the garage which includes Engine Oil, Engine Oil Filter and Fuel Filter.

Following is the breakup:
1) Engine oil: Rs 1100 I have tried all oils (not synthetic) and found no difference in them so opt for the lowest cost of branded Diesel Engine Oil which meets the standards as per the manual ie. SERVO cf4 15w40 Diesel Engine Oil (5 Litre). Mobile used to cost around Rs 1800 earlier.
2) Engine oil filter: Rs 150 (Make Purolator or Elofic brand)
3) Fuel Filter: Rs 180 (Make Purolator or Elofic brand)
4) Service labour charges: Rs 650-700 for Changing above consumables and car wash.

Total: Rs 2200 -2300 (Including tips some extra small work if any)

Alternate year (as my car running is very less) I get my Air filter replaced (Rs 350) and brakes cleaned greased ( Rs 250-300 extra).

Every 3-4 years I get my Coolant and Gear Oil replaced.

Trust me modern cars dont require much service and they run well. I have had no issues with my car till now, no break down except one where my engine overheated (luckily my head gasket survived) thanks to so called "FNG" who filled boring water in my Radiator. In my area we do no get premixed-coolants easily we get coolant liquid bottles to which we have to add water. Got the radiator chemically cleaned and flushed (Rs 2500) and I was all set to drive next 3000 kms for my Gujarat trip.

My engine being a 475 IDI engine ( 1930 technology engine same as Indica Turbo DLG and Indigo Engine) has very less electronics and is tolerant to bad quality fuel. Parts are cheap too.

Overall if you maintain your car on your own and spend some time and efforts, you will be rewarded with an extremely pocket friendly service costs.

One warning though:- You cannot achieve low service costs if you are not present during the service and understand some basic things about service. Trust me in your absence the garages can forget to fill oil or tighten bolts which are directly related to your safety. This sometimes also happens in Authorized service centres but the probability is less.
I am still unfortunate to discover a "FNG" whom I can trust and will be at the same time pocket friendly. Luckily I know a FNG for my motorbike whom I can trust for even engine repairs blindly.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 21:44   #240
BHPian

I have a 2019 Creta SX. 4 services done until now. Service costs are as follows

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-service-history.jpeg

The best part is the estimates given in the app are fairly accurate. I happen to discover only today that the labor cost varies across cities. As I keep hoping between Kochi, Calicut, Mumbai and Silvassa I think it would be more beneficial for me to service in Silvassa.
The estimate from App (Without GST)

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-estimate.jpeg

Actual bill with GST

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-actual-bill.jpg

Most Viewed