Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 10:30   #181
BHPian

Compilation of Maintenance Charges: Invaluable resource for a new car buyer.

For a prospective new car buyer, the factors considered for deciding upon a car are many; starting from power, ride, handling, space, reliability etc, and the list can go on. Most of these can be reliably gauged from the exhaustive team-bhp official reviews . However, what are not readily available are the routine maintenance charges, charges that one has to incur in the first/ second/ third ‘free’ services and beyond; basically cost of ownership of the car, that forms a very important factor while choosing the right car. One can get fairly good indications of the same by going through successive ownership threads of a car, but that is like looking for a needle in haystack! Then there are the stereotypical responses like “Euro - expensive to maintenance and low on reliability’, “Jap – easy on the pocket on maintenance, high on reliability” and so on. Could we have a compilation of the routine maintenance charges and reliability of the car models on Indian roads today, with contributions from owners of different cars, in a single thread please? In fact, if the mods, through their ‘considerable clout’ , could squeeze the manufacturers to furnish these maintenance and service costs upfront, that would be truly great. This surely would be a handy resource for new car buyers. Inviting all car owners to furnish their maintenance and service costs please!
Old 25th June 2013, 17:00   #182
Senior - BHPian

Re: T-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend on your c

M800 - Year 2000 model

Years of ownership - 8 (2005-2013)
No of Kms Run - 65k

Battery Replaced - Twice - 2005, 2010 - 6k
Tyres Replaced - Once - 4 - 2006 - 11k
Clutch Plate assembly - 2012 - 5k
A/c unit replacement - 2010 - 24k
Rear fender - 1k
Old 25th June 2013, 17:39   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: T-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend on your c

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
A/c unit replacement - 2010 - 24k
Could you please share reason for AC unit failure.
Old 25th June 2013, 17:46   #184
BHPian

Car - Fluidic Verna
Year of Manufacture - 2011
Mileage - ~31,000

I got the tihird service done. The bill was almost 13,000. I was told i may have to replce the break pads and disks, luckily the service guys felt i could do another 10,000 kms with them.

No regrets on buying the car (so far).
Old 25th June 2013, 18:10   #185
Senior - BHPian

I am using Swift Dzire Vxi for last 4 years now. I am totally happy with its maintenance costs.

Maruti Swift Dzire Vxi
July 2009
Mileage - 30,000 (Little low i know )

First year servicing costs were not much. For last 3 years, car maintenance costs are around 3500 - 4000 per year. Nothing more. All main parts like battery, tyres, clutch, lamps are still stock fittings. Nothing changed. I am very happy with the car. I do servicing once in a year as my running is around 7000 per year. Which includes weekly city traffic running and yearly 8-10 highways runs.

Overall i am very satisfied with cars performance, mileage, etc. Maintenance / Service costs IMHO are very reasonable.
Old 25th June 2013, 18:53   #186
Senior - BHPian

My bill last time for full service (engine-oil & filters change), Brake pad replacement & few nuts & bolts tightening was Rs.2850.

Definitely changing to FNG has helped a lot. A bonus... the owner of the garage resides near my house & meets me regularly in the park where I go for jogging & he goes for walk with his oldie friends. He himself keeps a tab on how the car is performing.
Old 25th June 2013, 20:35   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I am using Swift Dzire Vxi for last 4 years now. I am totally happy with its maintenance costs.

Maruti Swift Dzire Vxi
July 2009
Mileage - 30,000 (Little low i know )

First year servicing costs were not much. For last 3 years, car maintenance costs are around 3500 - 4000 per year. Nothing more. All main parts like battery, tyres, clutch, lamps are still stock fittings. Nothing changed. I am very happy with the car. I do servicing once in a year as my running is around 7000 per year. Which includes weekly city traffic running and yearly 8-10 highways runs.

Overall i am very satisfied with cars performance, mileage, etc. Maintenance / Service costs IMHO are very reasonable.
I am still driving a 2007 Swift Vxi and clocked 62K now. Its still running smooth and very low on pocket.

Only reason I might change my car this year is just out of boredom and may be good resale value.
Old 17th April 2014, 20:38   #188
BHPian

9k for Honda City ivtec 60kkms service - fair or costly?

Guys my Honda city ivtec has done 61k kms so far.
I am going in for service tmrw (last service was done at 56k)
Sundaram Honda says it will cost me 8.5k
Capital Honda says it will cost me 9k

Is this the norm?

mods - move this to appropriate thread if i am posting it in the wrong area.
Old 17th April 2014, 21:30   #189
Senior - BHPian

Re: 9k for Honda City ivtec 60kkms service - fair or costly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post

Is this the norm?
Hi mate, It will be easier for us to respond to your query and suggest you if you may provide us with the To-Do List of the service. However, as you are following the 5k kms interval so at 61k kms this amount does seem to be high. Honda City ivtec is a car that is easy to maintain. I own one so I can guide you. Is your car giving any sort of major electrical/mechanical issues?

If not then I dont think you should spend this amount. Over here in Noida, I own a 2.5 year old Ivtec City. The car has run 24.5k kms till date. Till date my expense on the car with regards to service has not exceeded INR 2500.

Let me know which engine oil you are using and also tell me when did you change the car's gear oil.

Thanks

AD
Old 17th April 2014, 21:54   #190
BHPian

Quote:

Is this the norm?

mods - move this to appropriate thread if i am posting it in the wrong area.
Last month I had my ivtec's 60K service. It costed me Rs.8800. I opted for synthetic oil which was about 1300 costlier than regular one. Right now I don't have the bill. In case i get I'll let you know.
Old 17th April 2014, 22:02   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

The 65k km service entails only oil and oil filter change and a general check up. Not even the air filter is to be replaced. The same is mentioned in your car's manual in the maintenance section. This should cost in tune of Rs 3000. Everything else is for extra work (if any) like clutch or brake pad replacement or alignment or balancing or AC service etc.

Will suggest that you put up a detailed break-up of all the jobs they intend to do. Do not opt for any of those stupid extras like sensor lubrication or engine or silencer coating that they will try to push down your throat.

Note that alignment and balancing need be done only if and when required. Also, rates will be much lower at your local tire shop.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th April 2014 at 22:03.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 02:56   #192
Team-BHP Support

At times, if the car's running has been too less or too high in a 6-month period, SE may suggest post/pre-poning certain jobs. So, you might want to compare the last one or two service records.

Have they recommended change of the clutch assembly or other big ticket items?
Old 18th April 2014, 10:48   #193
BHPian

Heres my service record

:::55kms service: Rs4800:::
Parts- Engine Oil (1140), Oil Filter cartridge (150)
Labour - 55klabour 1000, ac disinfection(800), speed sensor problem (400), waxoyl motor care (400)

:::60kms service: Rs8000:::
Parts- Engine oil (1140), air filter (650), ac filter (950), transmission oil (1300)
Labour - 60kkmslabour

@libranof1987 - no major job such as clutchpad
@infinitewheel - almost same pricing
@ad3952n - looks like every 20k kms you got to shell out 8k

But overall not a big deal because for 4 years it has just crossed 50k <touchwood> (not sure if thats less but definitely not high in my opinion esp when i have spent nearly 4lacs in petrol...may be other bhpian might know better)
Old 18th April 2014, 11:12   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
:::55kms service: Rs4800:::
Parts- Engine Oil (1140), Oil Filter cartridge (150)

:::60kms service: Rs8000:::
Parts- Engine oil (1140),
But overall not a big deal because for 4 years it has just crossed 50k <touchwood> (not sure if that's less
Mate, I can guide you for one thing i.e Engine oil. You are using the mineral oil and that would be Idemitsu if I am not wrong. Well, You can use the Synthetic Castrol Magnatec oil for the engine which needs to be changed at 10-11k kms. This will help your car's performance and is far better than the OEM with a cost of INR 1428/- for 3.5 L pack. This also will require the oil filter change after 10,000 kms.

Attached a pic for your record (From my car's review)

Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?-photo0698.jpg

Thanks

AD
Old 18th April 2014, 11:30   #195
BHPian

@ad3952n thanks mate i spoke to sundaramhonda now but they dont use castrol. They use only honda's synthetic oil which is 3500 rs. Next time i will refill the oil myself at a shell station and i will try castrol. For now as the car is with them i am going with the mineral oil itself @1140.

BTW sundaram honda called and informed me that my rear brake cylinder oil is leaking and front brake pads have to be changed which would set me off by another 15,000. I have opted for the rear brake cylinder work alone for 3500 as it is mentioned in the previous service recommendation too and i feel braking is not perfect recent days. Front pads i am not sure because i dont hear any sound nor i have the feeling of bite missing so i am taking some time till next service.

Got three calls from sundaramhonda so far and everytime my bill went up like this - 6500, 8000, 23000 suggested landed in 11500.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks