Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 13:30   #181
Senior - BHPian

Saw Linea add in paper this morning with side profile of car and was really impressed with it. Are these specs correct, or there is some mistake in price?

Linea: Overall Length, 4560 mm. Overall Width, 1730 mm. Overall Height, 1500 mm
Civic: Overall Length, 4545 mm. Overall Width, 1750 mm. Overall Height, 1450 mm
ANHC: Overall Length, 4420 mm. Overall Width, 1695 mm. Overall Height, 1470 mm
Corolla Altis: Overall Length, 4540 mm. Overall Width, 1760 mm. Overall Height, 1480 mm
VW Jetta: Overall Length, 4554 mm. Overall Width, 1781 mm. Overall Height, 1459 mm
Ford Fiesta: Overall Length, 4282 mm. Overall Width, 1686 mm. Overall Height, 1468 mm

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 16th January 2009 at 13:42.
Old 16th January 2009, 13:44   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Saw Linea add in paper this morning with side profile of car and was really impressed with it. Are these specs correct, or there is some mistake in price?

ANHC: Overall Length, 4420 mm. Overall Width, 1695 mm. Overall Height, 1470 mm
Corolla Altis: Overall Length, 4540 mm. Overall Width, 1760 mm. Overall Height, 1480 mm
VW Jetta: Overall Length, 4554 mm. Overall Width, 1781 mm. Overall Height, 1459 mm
may i add
mahindra logan : overall length ,4247mm . overall width, 1740mm. over all height 1534mm , wheel base 2630mm.
Old 16th January 2009, 14:09   #183
Senior - BHPian

How much does this translate to useful interior space ?
Old 16th January 2009, 14:46   #184
BHPian

Well Fiat in no way can compete with Toyota's and Honda's in India. Indian people buy these two brands with their eyes closed while Fiat reputation is not anyone can boast about. Thats the reason i10 sells and not Palio. If they price their product close to Honda. No one will buy it people would rather buy a honda then a fiat.
Old 16th January 2009, 15:03   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
1.Well Fiat in no way can compete with Toyota's and Honda's in India. Indian people buy these two brands with their eyes closed while Fiat reputation is not anyone can boast about. Thats the reason i10 sells and not Palio. If they price their product close to Honda.

2.No one will buy it people would rather buy a honda then a fiat.

1. To an extent i agree with you about this point.
2. How can you say that no one will buy it?? There are quite no. of people who have booked the car already. People who want badge will go for Honda, people who want a better built , VFM car will go for Linea!
Old 16th January 2009, 15:54   #186
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

category where Linea falls

Have seen a lot of debate about the category of cars in which the Linea falls.

To me the Linea seems to have achieved a bit of a breakthrough in pricing, with the spec, build and features of cars like the Civic, Corrola, Octavia and the price of the Fiesta, Verna, SX4, NHC, with the size again of the ANHC, Civic, Corolla, Optra etc.

The features such as the the stearing mounted controls are not present on most of the above listed cars, and the Rear Sun Screen, and rear AC Vents are not present on any of the cars below the Laura/Merc, while the Blue and me is again a new concept in India, and mainly available only though the aftermarket players or on the Indigo XL.

The Build is europian, while the price is closer to the cheapest of Japs, (Read Suzuki.)

It on top of all this offers Diesel where half the cars in the same segment dont provide the option at all.

Am a fiat fan - Evident from the above and would like to see it succed.
Old 16th January 2009, 15:55   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post

Those specs seem right. When I saw the car at the AutoExpo in Delhi last year, I felt the same way - such a large car can't be priced a class below. To me it seemed the Linea was a competitor to the Corolla ahd Civic (size-wise) rather than the City.
Now that we know the pricing, the Linea is trully the most car you can get for the money.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:03   #188
Senior - BHPian

Considering the size and specs, Linea more or less should compete with Civic, Corolla, Octavia, and Optra in space; but with lower segment in price.

If only I needed a car now, I would be very keen to get to actively know more about the Linea, because of its specs vs. price equation. However, how it performs and user feedback should be available in a few months, in time for a personal decision on a new car.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:06   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
All Delhi prices:
Aveo starts from 5.9 Lakhs
Linea starts from 6L
Fiesta starts from Rs.6.07 Lakhs .
Verna starts from 6.3L

Nothing shocking about Linea's prices.

About G Punto: Let Fiat make up their mind about launching. When it is launched we will talk about the price.

There u go, fiats the cheapest with the most features. That my friend is called VALUE FOR MONEY.
cheers:
Old 16th January 2009, 16:17   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
There u go, fiats the cheapest with the most features. That my friend is called VALUE FOR MONEY.
cheers:
There is something called After Sales as well. Fiat still has to prove a lot on that.

I bought a Black & Decker Juicer last year that seemed vfm (very good quality, decent price etc). 1 year of trouble free ownership and very satisfied with it. But recently the top cover got broken. Hence the juicer cannot be used anymore (while everything else is fine.. just the cover is not there and the machine wont run without that). And now only came to know how bad their service it. Waiting for that silly cover (worth not more than a couple of hundred rupees!) to arrive here in Delhi for more than a month now!
Old 16th January 2009, 16:25   #191
Senior - BHPian

After owning Palio for 5 years, I can say that the *** is reasonably OK. I can not compare it with segment leaders like Suzuki and Hyundai, but, so far, they have taken care of all the grouses I had mentioned. I can not thank Concorde Motors enough when they managed to put together my car which got rear-ended about a year ago, within a week. Yes, there have been glitches here and there, but, overall, nothing that could make me say that the after-sales service is bad.

To put it to perspective, I have never had an experience of excellent service on any product in India, except for the Titan watch and Eureka Forbes Aqua Guard. No wonder all my watches from the day I had money enough to buy one have been from Titan so far.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:00   #192
BHPian

Ok...since the discussion is heating up..here's my 2 cents...

I have owned a Fiat Siena 1.6 ELX for the last 5 years - in the 2 years I was in US - I had a Honda Civic ( 2002 model - stick shift, coupe) - So i am a great fan of Honda as well as Fiat..

Now coming to VFM in India - way back in 2004 when i bought the car for 5.10 lacs ( On road inc of 1st year insurance) - i got -
- 100 horses with the rugged suspension, super handling..et al - all things which u all Fiat fans rave about
- features like rear defogger, electic rear view mirror controls, central locking, child locks, dual folding rear seats, fog lights, 6 speaker system - all in the highest end spec at that time - ELX
- have done around 43k kms with no problems - planning to keep the car for another 3- 4 yrs more ( so resale value is of minor importance to me)
- get consistent mileage of 11-12 km/l in city & 14-15 on highways

So from a VFM perspective i dont think I would have got a better deal then - I think Fiat scores above all in this aspect

Also recently drove a Honda city ( not the VTEC one) - a friend of mine bought it at ~7.7 lakhs - found the car so so - for all it's +'s & -ve's discussed in this forum - i DID NOT find it worth ~7.7 lakhs

So as a Fiat fan in India i sincerely wish the Linea good luck....in fact...i want the car to be a so so success..not a super duper hit....in say 1-2 yrs..probably i'll get a 1-1.5 lakhs discount on the Linea....get a super CRDI car for say max 7 lakhs...& continue to get the super VFM from Fiat !!
Old 16th January 2009, 17:01   #193
BANNED

In equipment, all these model are at same level. Then how can it be with most features? In fact basic model of Linea doesn't come with CD player, while its comes with Aveo & Fiesta. Fiesta even has alloys, while Linea doesn't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
cheers:
Old 16th January 2009, 17:33   #194
Senior - BHPian

Guys - in all this FIAT VS REST - lets also not forget the silent killer - RESALE value !

The junta who are considering a car purchase will have this also in mind.

Even if Pricing, features, service fall in place, RESALE VALUE will loom high in a potential buyers mind

and RESALE VALUE suffered by FIATs is not something they can fix in a year or two. It takes long term committment from the manufacturer to fix this anomaly

I JUST HOPE FIAT DOES NOT DO ANY AGGRESSIVE PRICE CUTS ON THE LINEA or follow any such practises that can affect its resale value

Once this is done ( after of course fixing the other issues) I am sure FIAT can sell side by side to the TOYOTAS and HONDAS in India too
Old 16th January 2009, 17:43   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
In equipment, all these model are at same level. Then how can it be with most features? In fact basic model of Linea doesn't come with CD player, while its comes with Aveo & Fiesta. Fiesta even has alloys, while Linea doesn't have.
If you are comparing basic models, then why bring the alloys into picture ? Somewhere down the line, ypu are trying to exhibit that you are scared of the Linea. Your Linea bashing in each and every thread actually supports that!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed