Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2007, 21:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Feel proud of reva,toyota has just got into this plug-in type battery cars and guess its range,its approx 13 kms[the car is at an experimental stage right now in japan].

A home grown company[reva] having minuscule resources compared to the automobile giant.
Old 26th July 2007, 23:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
They should device a sound system which will simulate the "exhaust note" everytime you pressed the accelerator.

(Its not difficult, my Daughter has a 350z car with such an effect.)

But Revai could be very quick going 0-80. (What say?)
wish they cud install it in wannabe racers' cars inside the passenger compartments, and save us from free-flow free-sound exhausts.

Now, won't it make sense to make it slighly bigger, slightly bigger motor, and two or more batteries. wll givr more power and more range.
I mean why have they decided to go SMALL on an electric car?
Old 5th August 2007, 11:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

Clarkson drives it here
Old 5th August 2007, 11:27   #19
BHPian

I read about a system in one of the concept cars from Toyota or Honda...don't remember well, which charges the Electric battery on braking, It uses a Dynamo to charge each time you brake or slow down, I guess this could increase the mileage + I really don't think irrespecitve of the New Mileage offered by REVAI, its meant to be driven outside a city..Difficult to charge on the highway + Difficult to find a good Electrician..oops Mechanic I mean
Old 5th August 2007, 15:10   #20

hi all,
I would like to know where the Reva showroom is in Bommasandra, Bangalore..if any of you have the phone number pls let me know.There does not seem to be any official website of Reva's!!
Old 5th August 2007, 15:58   #21
Team-BHP Support

In that Jeremy Clarkson article someone has posted an incredulous comment. "A single speed automatic gearbox! What is it doing automatically?"

But seriously speaking I think Maini needs to think big. If his electrifying ideas are to hit home then he needs to think of projects that are more practical. A car of this size at a cost of a regular hatchback is hardly anyone's idea of 4-wheeled driving. Now Jeremy's article maybe dripping sarcasm but they are nonetheless problems. And not very pleasing ones at that when you have spent some 4lakhs on a car.
Old 6th August 2007, 09:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay.kay View Post
hi all,
I would like to know where the Reva showroom is in Bommasandra, Bangalore..if any of you have the phone number pls let me know.There does not seem to be any official website of Reva's!!
It has...and a good one.

Welcome to Revai
Old 6th August 2007, 18:32   #23

Thanks Amit! Found the following info on the site -

"The Government of India in its effort to encourage and popularize new and environment friendly technologies towards reducing vehicular pollution and thus consequently improving quality of urban air, has announced a Central Subsidy of upto Rs. 75,000 for each REVA Electric Car.

The beneficiaries of this subsidy are Public Institutions included Government organisation and departments, Public Sector Undertakings, Educational institutions, Hospitals, Tourism and Archaeological sites.

Based on the specific requirements of the public institutions as per the direction of the Ministry of Non-conventional Energy Sources (MNES), REVA has introduced a modified range of models named the “REVA Eco” which is eligible for the subsidy.

Some of our esteemed customers who have availed this benefit include : ISRO, APEDA, ITPO, KSRTC, BMTC, KSDL, NSTL Vizag, Maharishi Educational Society, Nerlikar Hospital. etc."

wonder if it applies to regular customers too?!
Old 17th August 2007, 00:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
I read about a system in one of the concept cars from Toyota or Honda...
you mean hybrid cars. americans who value everything in terms of money calculated that premium charged for hybrid ca nonly be recoevred in 6 years of ownership, they change their cars every 5 years, so...........
Old 25th October 2007, 19:03   #25

its nice to meet REVA fans. Even i like Reva car. The new REVAi is much more promising with AC drive train.

here is a link ... it talks about online registrations for REVA test drive.

Interested people can register. Soon i am going to test drive the new REVAi. Reva | Test drive Revai

[/b]Soon i am going to test drive the new REVAi car.
Old 25th October 2007, 22:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think maini should look at the option of tying up with a large manufacturer to engineer a hybrid adaptation of a small four door saloon or hatchback i.e something along the lines of a Tata-Maini Indica/go hybrid.
It would make more sense to a lot of people, even if it has a 1 or 2 lakh premium over the top variants of the car. But I doubt if it will be possible to accomplish it even at that premium, because it is no small task to hybrid-ise a car. What I am sure of is that Maini CAN do it, but whether in a cost-effective manner I do not know.

But I guess the market still hasn't matured enough to risk launching a car like this. And unless Government introduces benefits to electric/hybrid car users, it will be very difficult for these cars to ever catch on in a cut-throat market like ours.
Old 26th October 2007, 10:00   #27
BHPian

The Reva is a good eco-friendly car but I would not but it due to price and charging issues(I stay on the 5th floor!!!). But one point on the features mentioned. - a 12V point. Wouldn't the use of this drain the battery even faster??? If so, it does not make sense to have it.
Old 26th October 2007, 11:14   #28
BHPian

reva

a commendable effort by a small company - nearly slaughtered by govt policy..

Nearly 60% of the cost of the car is import duties that are charged on the batteries.... Our company has a few of the golf carts that maini makes from this platform, and since we export, we are duty exempt .. This makes them terrific VFM
Old 26th October 2007, 11:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Yea thats good news, I wish governement give good tax benefits. If base version of Reva is priced 2 lac. ex show room it would have sold like hot cakes. Then 1 lakh Petrol/Diesel car would have not come into picture.

I always thought TATA could have tried electric car instead of Fuel run 1 lakh rs costing car. May be electric car is costly to manufacture but if governement encourages with tax benefits I am sure it can be achieved.

Regards,

Ravi.
The Karnataka Government does offer tax benefits to Government employees opting for the Reva. I think the price comes down from 3.75L to 3L or something. I had read all their brochures a while ago.
But that said, they should've tried to keep the price low. I am in the market for a second car, but 4L is too high
Old 26th October 2007, 11:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
I read about a system in one of the concept cars from Toyota or Honda...don't remember well, which charges the Electric battery on braking, It uses a Dynamo to charge each time you brake or slow down, I guess this could increase the mileage + I really don't think irrespecitve of the New Mileage offered by REVAI, its meant to be driven outside a city..Difficult to charge on the highway + Difficult to find a good Electrician..oops Mechanic I mean
This is called regenerative braking (capturing the energy wasted during braking).

This has always been part of Reva. Its not that difficult thing to do. BMW will have the same to charge batteries instead of doing it when the you are moving and creating a burden on the engine.

Most Viewed