Team-BHP - How inefficient can the Bombay RTO get???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   How inefficient can the Bombay RTO get??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2692-how-inefficient-can-bombay-rto-get.html)

So, I was at the Kansai Airport, here in Japan, last night to pick my brother in law up. He comes out and we walk to the car park and I ask him whether he has gotten his International License or not. He starts laughing and starts telling me the story.

He went to the RTO for his license, but couldn't get it. The reason for this was....they didn't have the right stationery to issue the license on. My bro-in-law asked them what the alternative would be and they told him that he would have to wait till they get the stationery. This was on Friday and he was leaving Monday early morning, so he came to Japan without an International License. Now, in the meantime, he asked his office staff to go and see what could be done. When we got home, my bro-in-law checked his email to see that his staff did go to ask for the license, but they said the stationery would only be available on the 5th of August. And, he leaves to go back to Bombay on the 8th, so basically there's no point in even having them courier it to us.

I was quite shocked to hear this. I mean stuff like this should not be an issue at all in the first place. Stationery for license at an RTO not available for close to a week? To me that is simply unacceptable... Anyhow, hopefully, this was just the one odd case and things like this don't occur again...

Kimibabe...

Mera Bharat Mahan..errr... Clean Mumbai Green Mumbai:D

This is real funny & really mind numbing. Like Govinda's song 'It happens only in India'

Haha, Kimi...regular stuff at the RTO's.

Me and my best buddy have a theory : If you ever have to kill someone (you really hate), theres only two legal ways

1. Ask him to get a drivers licence from the tardeo RTOs office

2. Ask him to get admission to a local college for F.Y.J.C. (First Year Junior College)

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (kimibabe @ Aug. 03 2004,22:15)]So, I was at the Kansai Airport, here in Japan, last night to pick my brother in law up. *

Kimibabe...

I know this is off topic, but, had to ask.

Kimibabe, is that airport still sinking? Havn't heard any new about it in the past few years. So, j/w.

Become a member of the AA, they have the power to issue international licences

usual excuses at the RTO's in mumbai, or India for that matter. Im still surprised i got my permanent licence within a matter of 3 hours of giving the test(a little influence of course - but no extra money paid). the test in itself didnt make sense.

Kimibabe,

the topic should have been " how efficient can the bombay rto get " *not "inefficient"

cheers

welkome to India

ya the Mumbai RTO is an inefficient lot.

Sorry to go off topic *But u have to give them atleast 2 cheers ( *) for handling the traffic situation in these 3 days on continous downpour. I really felt the diff this time. Left for work on my usual time and thought that i'm gonna be late, but surprisingly reached early. No traffic jams at all. Andheri station road was clear, Chakala jn [drivers worst nightmare] was clear too. *

RTO, inefficient?? Naaaaaah, can't be!!

So i finally get a buyer for my 20 year old Suzuki GS450. The dude lives in Bihar! I had to get the NOC. I contemplated going to the "official" RTO counsultant outside the Tardeo RTO, but they told me it would cost Rs.2,000!

Now thats plain highway robbery. Nothing in the RTO costs more than a few hundred bucks. I thought...how bad would it be to take a day off work and figure out the system. Hey, maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised as to how efficient our RTO has become in 2004.

Day 1: So I go there first thing in the morning (after having collected all the necassary papers the day before). Some dude tells me to go to window 10XX or somehting, which is the other end of the RTO. I go, wait...he's having his tea. 15 mins later he blurts "kya mangta?" I explain that I need an NOC.

Where is the agent he asks me! He smiles and shows me his nice red paan coated teeth when I told him that I'm gonna do it myself. Hmm...i shoulda got the hint right!

Well, he looks at the papers, scribbles something even he can't read i'm sure, and send me to window 1X. Ofcourse, that happens to be all the way back near the entrance. Go there, wait in line. Woman at counter takes the papers, asks for 20 bucks, signs, stamps and hands it back. Woohooo...thats it! All done I thought. HAHA...how gullible I am.

she sends me back to get some sub-inspectors signature. He's not in the office, his "main man" says he's out for the day, come back tomorrow. Day one over, no NOC.

Day 2: I come back the next day, head straight for the inspector dude. He's not in, BUT, he will be in at 11am. Thats only 2 hours away!! Well, he enters at 1115 (not bad!!). Yells this n that to his flunkies and goes into his office ...followed by 3 agents with a bunch of papers. About 20 mins later the agents leave. I'm left wondering how much money am I gonna have to feed this guy for his signature. Surprise ...I go in, he see's the papers, and he signs! WOOhoo...NOW I got the NOC!! erm....no.

Sooo, its back to the original window. Get there just before lunch, whew. My paan soaked friend is surprised I managed to get the papers signed...in just 1 day! He looks over them, a little spittle of paan drops on one of em..."yeh kya hai....aapka notary kahaa hai?" huh?? what??

Apparently I needed an affidavit stating that all the papers were clear! geez. Where can i find a damn lawyer here! And why the hell didn't he till me this YESTERDAY!!

Well, Bombay being Bombay, there was a lawyer operating out of one of the chawls near the RTO. I snake my way into his small office, well, 2 tables and a bunch of typewriters, if you call that an office...and tell him what I need. Come back in 3 hours! Great. By this time, the day is over.

Day 3: OK, today is the day I get the NOC. I had ALL the papers...nothing's gonna stop me now. Except the paan dude has called in sick, and ofcourse, there's no one to stand in for him.

Day 4: I go back to my new home...the RTO. Not expecting much today. But Mr. Paan is in da house!! Hey, he's even in a good mood. By now he had probably developed a soft spot for me...thinkin who the hell is this poor dude who just refuses to give up. So he does his thing on my papers, signs, stamps, drops paan. Window No.11X. AAARGHHHHH!!! I got there, pay another 75 bucks. Get the receipt. Take ALL this to the sub-inspector who is early today. Again, smooth sailing here, he signs it (with his green pen). I go back to Mr. Paan. Looks at all the papers (there were about 50 of em by now!!). "achaa..come back tomorrow to collect the NOC." I plead with him to give it to me today....I can't take off work anymore I tell him. He agree's, tells me to come back after lunch.

Well...it only took me 4 days to get a simple NOC. Now if thats not efficient, I dunno what is.

Rtech

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ Aug. 04 2004,08:41)]Become a member of the AA, they have the power to issue international licences

Hey Ajmat,

I was going to suggest the same thing, but then i was under the impression that the (WI)AA gets the liscences made at the RTO anyway.... and if the RTO doesnt have the stationary then its not gona happen either way.
Is that how it works?

cya
R

ps - Rtech.... that RTO story gave me great sadistic pleasure ...been there, done that as well...

lol, you guys

in hyd the rto is ok, anyways, we have a broker in rto who we have on a monthly pay basis!!!!!!!!!(yes he is on the cmpany pay roll!!) and for every rto work i have to go with him, since we didnt give him last months salary, he didnt come with me for my l/r license (this being my third!!!) as i am to lazy to go 40kms out of hyd to give a very idiotic test for a license,

so on the day one i go at 11 am(how stupid of me!) stand in token queue till 1 pm , and the guy closes the counter!!!

day two:go at 8.30 am!!! get the token at 11 am, sit till 2 pm for my no, go to the photo room for my digital phto, take the test at 4 pm, get 17/19, ask him which two went wrong , the guy gets miffed, tells me to come in a month , he will tell which went wrong, get my l/r for the third time! no have it for the next one year!!

ps:will soon take the permenant license

Well.....i'm going to get my license this weekend.....wish me luck!.......not for the test...but for the fact that i'm going to the RTO!
Will post my experience later!!

alll the best 316!!!!!!!!!!!! hope you survive the bombay rto!