Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2004, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Following Maruti Esteem, GM has also cut the prices of Opel Corsa by Rs 36000/-. This segment is really getting hot !

refer link

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/805847.cms
Old 7th August 2004, 11:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't see a tremendous increase in sales for the Corsa after this price cut. To be honest, i don't even see Corsa leading the entry level market. Wanna know why? Ask what the Corsa really excells at.

Performance is adequate but its no tarmac scorcher, the fuel efficiency too is average, the space levels can be termed "cramped" at most times of the day, the handling package is average, meaning only its ride quality is good and has a teutonic build quality. The After Sales Service is also nothing to write home about and neither is GM's commitment to consistently market its products. Going by the law of averages, GM and the Corsa are pretty low, which makes this move a sign of desperation. Or is it desperation too late?

Revv
Old 7th August 2004, 12:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

yes revvmaster ,, its desperation too late....but no use now.
Even today , in this segment ppl want FE and low maintainence ,
this is where the esteem takes the cake.
ppl buying the esteem are willing to comprommise a bit on ride quality.

Old 7th August 2004, 12:44   #4
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I think.. the only reason it doesn't sell.. is.... b'coz of.. its look.. of a not so big car.
Esteem looks a .. more complete .. 3 box car..

appart from that... esteem.. has too many issues..... pathetic gear ratios, bad ride, bad space, bad height (I can't sit at the rear).

Given the option, I'd rather go for Corsa or Sail... against esteem.
Old 7th August 2004, 14:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Price drop or no price drop... i would never buy a corsa again! We had bought 2 corsa the very first batch...i think mine was the only one i saw on the road for quitee a while during that period since the car was from gujrat some how i think the deliveries for it that started early than bombay. I loved the car for the first year....gives u the feel of raw power (the 1.6 in context here )which not many cars had 4 yrs back. However the fuel efficency sucked! After 2 years start along a whollle lonnngg list of problems day after day! Man those 2 cars were a pain! Lucky they r sold now and replaced them with the new honda citys.
Old 8th August 2004, 11:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

This baby's going down. Apart from its German build, the old Opel Corsa dosen't have anything going for it. It's fuel consumption is pathetic if you consider its size. Performance isn't too great either - cars like the Palio and Ikon (and even Accent, for that matter) leave it standing. Handling isn't the best either and it's also pretty cramped inside. This car is going the Lancer way. It's a case of "too little, too late!"
Old 9th August 2004, 13:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

i got a Sail primarily for the ride quality and build. yes i would have bought a City CVT if my wife agreed to drive a car 12" longer. As far as GM's service is concerned I am not sure Fiat's is much better. What I like about these cars (Palio, Sail, and Indica) is that they give you almost all the room of the sedan yet becuase they are hatchbaks they fit into small car parking spaces. Last night for example I managed to squeeze the Sail into a spot from where a Matiz had just exited.
Old 9th August 2004, 22:36   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A 1 lac rupee pricecut didnt help the Cielo too much in the 90's and neither is a 30 grand cut gonna help the Corsa. The Corsa has not set the charts afire for many reasons beside its price. The $$$ was not the only limiting factor.

I honestly dont think that GM is going to continue the Opel brand for too long in the country.

GTO
Old 14th July 2005, 15:50   #9
BANNED

i own a sail too...its a pleasure driving that car...the design of the car makes it so easy to drive plus the car really sails on the road..smooth good ride quality...its fast..it can run.....the only thing i don lik bout the car is the average....navin let me know what average u get out of your sail..i get around 7 maxx
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks