Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2019, 14:53   #151
BHPian

Re: 15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

For my car Maruti-800, I got fitness renewed twice.
Now my next renewal is due in Nov 2021, with new rules it is going to be expensive matter (renewal at Rs.15000). The car is perfectly running condition and I regularly use this car for nearby errands and it has become sort of family legend. I will be happy to renew one more time and keep but the odds are getting better
bullock-Car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 12:18   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
Thank you @wanderernomad,
I do have a friend who can help at the Chennai end. He also mentioned that since the car was imported the 15year rule applies from year of registration and not year of manufacturing . Which means its 2010, and valid will 2025.
Is this information correct?
I have a similar Q. My car was registered last in a particular RTO, but can I go to any RTO in Bangalore to get the renewal done? Or should I must go to the same RTO which is quite far?
Old 6th August 2019, 12:26   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
I have a similar Q. My car was registered last in a particular RTO, but can I go to any RTO in Bangalore to get the renewal done? Or should I must go to the same RTO which is quite far?
Unless your original RTO has split into smaller new areas, you need to go to your original RTO since they will be the one with your old records.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 00:08   #154
BHPian

Honda City 2004 model. (Dolphin Shape)
Fitness certificate via Agent.

Visited an agent for fitness certificate in May 2019.
Vehicle was registered at Thane RTO (MH04) in June 2004
Vashi RTO (MH43) started much later and I did not transfer my papers from Thane to Vashi.
So first job is to transfer papers to Vashi RTO.
For this I was asked to submit copy of original RTO One Time Tax paid at purchase.
Green tax was paid.
Mobile number & Email registered with Vashi RTO.

In the interim, got the insurance renewed.
Nowadays to renew insurance, they want a photocopy of the valid PUC.
Received the new Insurance policy with New India with a rider that I will have to give photocopy of new registration papers whenever I receive it for insurance to be valid.

Agent informed that a slot was available on 7th Aug 2019.
Went to the testing ground at 1030.
Saheb deputed will not be coming but the Saheb who certifies new vehicles will take care of the fitness certification.
Saheb came at 1245.
Chassis number was checked by Saheb's assistant.

Asked to demonstrate operation of following.
1. Vehicle wipers.
2. Headlights in low & high beam
3. Brake Lights
4. Indicators for both right and left.

Test done within 5 minutes.
The new registration should be received within 60 days at the address registered in the original RC Book.

Total cost so far Rs 9000.

Once I get my fitness renewed till 2024, with the uncertainty of BS VI rules, I will continue to use this vehicle till I feel the need to replace it.
No one is even offering more than Rs 20,000 for my vehicle - verified when talking to showrooms during various test drives.
So might as well maximize this vehicle till it lasts.

My sister wants to off-load her 2010 Honda CR-V that is registered at Hyderabad.
Will find out formalities to transfer this to my name in Maharashtra.
If it is not too tedious, may ask my sister to give that vehicle to me for a fair price to use as a 2nd vehicle.

Last edited by Ithaca : 17th August 2019 at 00:11.
Ithaca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:42   #155
BHPian

We have a 2001 Honda City which has had its FC renewed once. The FC will be up for renewal again by the end of 2020. Going by some of the experiences here, I should be able to get the FC for another 5 years but given the current situation around BSVI and some of the uncertainties wrt. govt policies around emissions, I'm unsure. Would it be wise to let go of the car asap and get a new one (when BSVI comes) or hold on to the car for as long as it isn't snatched away from me?

I would happily do the former if there was a car out there that is worth buying for the money I'd have to shell out but I just can't find that car in today's market :-(
kauphylover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:53   #156
BHPian

Guys, my Vijai Super is due for fitness renewal in October. As we can produce the vehicle for inspection 60 days ahead of the FC expiring day, I approached the concerned RTO in TN. I was informed that a set of new changes are going to be rolled out and for now FC renewal has been put on hold.
Checked with a friend from a different district and he also confirmed the same. Does any one have some info on what is going in the background. I dont want to pay the late penalty because the Govt has decided to put things on hold.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:37   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Guys, my Vijai Super is due for fitness renewal in October. As we can produce the vehicle for inspection 60 days ahead of the FC expiring day, I approached the concerned RTO in TN. I was informed that a set of new changes are going to be rolled out and for now FC renewal has been put on hold.
Checked with a friend from a different district and he also confirmed the same. Does any one have some info on what is going in the background. I dont want to pay the late penalty because the Govt has decided to put things on hold.
-Ilango
Most probably because of this ;
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...es-2019-a.html (Vehicle registration & renewal charges to be hiked by 20 times (2019))

Last edited by tharian : 23rd September 2019 at 15:54. Reason: Spelling
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:48   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Most probably barbecue of this ;
That would be quite a roast!!!
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 12:52   #159
BHPian

Our 2004 Honda City was due for FC renewal next month, my dad decided to give a try and found it easy to do it himself with all the required documents in place.
Only issue was the chassis pencil impression had to be taken carefully because of the awkward position (you can find it underneath the frame below the beading on the windshield side when you open the bonnet, however you cannot see it upfront which makes it difficult to take the impression)

There were raids conducted at the Jayanagar RTO recently after which there are very few brokers around. Post submission the officer mentioned 30 working days as the timeline.
I suggest people to do on their own as it is a straight forward process and the inspection can go smoothly if the car is looking fine. Do carry the self address envelope with affixed Rs.18 stamps and a file with tag available nearby to avoid multiple runs. Time spent at the RTO was around an hour on a weekday.
EuroMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 10:25   #160
BHPian

My colleague has a Yamaha Rx 135 and due to him being abroad for most part of year he forgot about his bike. Currently the bike is with his brother in law in Coorg. The bike has KA03 registration and the rc expired back in 2015. Is there anything he can do to renew rc?
Old 9th November 2019, 13:40   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMachine View Post
I suggest people to do on their own as it is a Time spent at the RTO was around an hour on a weekday.
How much did it cost all together?
I just did it and had to pay 5K to an agent.
Old 9th November 2019, 16:36   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How much did it cost all together?
Smart card ~300
Green Tax/Registration - 1100
Cess - 1000

So, totally around Rs.2400

But I guess your agent has charged nominal because when I enquired they quoted between 6.5-7k. How many days is he giving you the RC back?
Old 9th November 2019, 17:53   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMachine View Post
So, totally around Rs.2400
But I guess your agent has charged nominal because when I enquired they quoted between 6.5-7k. How many days is he giving you the RC back?
I got it in 3 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
My colleague has a Yamaha Rx 135 and due to him being abroad for most part of year he forgot about his bike. Currently the bike is with his brother in law in Coorg. The bike has KA03 registration and the rc expired back in 2015. Is there anything he can do to renew rc?
You can approach the KA03 RTO or preferably an agent to get things done smoother/faster. Expect a hefty fine (for 4 years) as well as agent charges.
Old 9th November 2019, 20:00   #164
BHPian

Our 99 Omni turned 20 years old this October & the RC was valid till 5th November. Last renewal was done in 2014, which went very smoothly. But in 2019 there was this proposed hike in registration renewal charges, so I was a bit worried whether the renewal process would go smoothly or not.

As luck would have it, I was out of Guwahati for the whole of October. My mother (in my absence) drove the Omni to the RTO (or DTO as it is called here) for the renewal & luckily the whole work was completed in a day. Of course the car is in mechanically perfect condition, everything works perfectly. Even the registration renewal charges were same as what we had paid in 2014. Total cost including the new RC was Rs.900.

The fitness is renewed till 2024 & I am keeping my fingers crossed that even in 2024, there will be no problem in getting the renewal done. Anyways, the next job in hand is to give the car a fresh coat of paint, she looks a bit tired cosmetically.

The new RC (valid till 2024):

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-van-rc.jpg

The Omni as of today:

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-omni.jpg

The old school key:

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-omni-key.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 9th November 2019 at 20:01.
chiranjitp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 08:48   #165
BHPian

Sharing my experience of renewing FC for 2005 Zen at KA-03 RTO. Also, you can use it as a to-do guide for KA-03, specifically and RTO in general.

Things to do at home

1) Xerox and keep your RC, insurance and pollution with you, just in case. As once you submit these in RTO, they will give you a receipt which should work for all traffic stoppages for the time it takes to get the new RC but you never know, so keep a copy.
2) Fill form 25. download from parivahan website
3) Pencil your chassis number onto this form, at the bottom
4) buy an green document envelope from post office and address it to yourself with appropriate stamps. you can buy this near RTO as well
5) if address has changed, fill form 33. Download from website. Aadhaar is accepted as address proof doc. for other accepted docs, look at parivahan website
6) Keep car reasonable clean
7) Get a file and put your name, address, car #, reason for submitting file and phone number on the file. You can buy a file from near RTO as well

Things to do at RTO
1) put your head down and head straight to cash counter for FC. don't ask any other question to anyone as people will mislead you, possible on purpose
2) You first need to go to a counter where they will check if you have all the documents in place. They will also write how much cash to be paid at cash counter. This is counter 7 on second floor of Ka 03
3) Pay at counter 3/4/5
4) Park car in queue behind the RTO, outside the compound. You will see a queue of mostly rickshaws already in this queue.
5) Inspectors come at 1130 AM or so. Queue starts moving rather quickly.
6) They made me open the bonnet, cross check chassis number, walked around the car. That's it. Signed the doc
7) Go and meet one Babu at ground floor, where they do license test, in the ground behind RTO, but inside the compound. He will place a stamp, then make you sign a register
8) Go back to inspectors and they will sign the file
9) Now go to counter 7 again, where they will check if you did everything as prescribed. If yes, they will sign
10) Go to counter 1, submit file. They will give you a receipt which acts as proof of document being in RTO.

Run home. OR drive back. you get the point

Tip: Go there at 11:30 am or so. Then you can get done in 45 mins. Else if you go at 10 am, you will still have to wait till 1130 for inspector to come.
ak916 is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks