Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 10:36   #256
BHPian

Re: 15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I got the FC done for my qualis for the second time with expiry in Dec 2025. The paper RC was converted to smart card now. Question i have is it says on the smart card tax paid till 2015. Any idea if i need to pay road tax separately?
Road tax is paid one time. Usually mentioned as LTT (Life Time Tax) on RC. On every FC renewal we pay green tax. Hope this helps.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:12   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Regardless of the make of the car and original purchase price, the road tax amount will be fixed for all the cars older than 15 years.
Yes, you are right. For my Baleno1.6, after FC on completing 15years, the MV tax for 3-Mar-2020 to 31-Dec-2024 was 8600 + 172 = 8772. Which is around the same you paid for your Uno & Merc after 15years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat
When renewing the registration of cars older than 15 years, there will be (at least in KL):
1) Registration fees. 2) 5-years road tax. 3) Green tax.
For my Baleno which I transferred from TN, apart from the 5-year MV Tax mentioned above, the following were charged :
1) One-time Cess : 100
2) Service/User charge : 245
3) Renewal of Registration : 600
4) Change of address in RC : 300
5) New Registration : 600

Quote:
It is a breeze to get it done if the car is in good condition.
True. Just ensure the exterior paint is in good condition with no nicks/dents, all lights (parking, headlight, turn indicators, brakelight, reverse light etc) work fine and car is in good mechanical condition.

Quote:
Green tax, if I recall correctly, was an amount less than Rs.500/-. I had paid it for our 96 Merc, 96 Padmini and 2002 Honda City . Not sure whether they increased it after May 2019.
No Green Tax was charged for my car. Maybe they forgot or discontinued it. Don't know.

Quote:
[b]Please note the difference in the dates when registration ends and tax validity ends. That is how it is. If you do not renew before registration date, you pay a fine of less than Rs.2000 (does not matter how days/months/years late you are), but if you do not pay your road tax in time, the road tax fine grow up to a huge amount depending on how many months late you are.
Yes, while Tax was levied only till 31-Dec-2024, my car's FC ends much later on 15-Oct-2025.
Old 1st February 2021, 12:07   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

FM announces vehicle scrapping policy, fitness test for private vehicles in 20 years.

Quote:
Vehicles would undergo fitness tests at automated fitness centres. Personal vehicles will have to undergo fitness tests in 20 years and commercial vehicles will have to do the same in 15 years
Old 1st February 2021, 12:11   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
FM announces vehicle scrapping policy, fitness test for private vehicles in 20 years.
Is this also valid for existing vehicles that haven't reached 15 years or only for vehicles being sold henceforth?
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 17:43   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Sharing my experience of renewing FC for 2005 Zen at KA-03 RTO. Also, you can use it as a to-do guide for KA-03, specifically and RTO in general.
Found this very useful. Thanks to the advice here, I made arrangements and went to the RTO. Got done in 20min. Start to finish.

My regular haunt is the Jayanagar RTO but since the car was registered at Koromangala, I told myself to go prepared to finish the work in 1 visit.

Pre-visit

Arranged all paper work
Filled up forms online, downloaded and printed them out.
Form 25
Form 33
ID proof (DL)
Address change proof (establishment telephone bill and GST registration copy)
RC book xerox
PUC certificate Xerox
Plastic zip lock for RC book

Take impression of the chassis on Form 25
On a blank sheet, take another impression of the chassis.

Before you leave for the RTO
Take a thin screwdriver /punching machine (to punch hole through documents and put in file
Blank A4 sheet paper
Dark pencil (B)

At the Koromangala BDA complex, went in and picked up a brown file and stamp envelope.
Went to 2nd floor, hall 11 (Non-Transport Section). Showed the docs, was asked to pay Rs 74 additional fees for smart card in hall 8.
Went there, paid the fees, got issued a receipt,
I rearranged all the docs with the receipt on top
Wrote down address on the envelope
Was asked to go to hall 1 (where the inspectors sit).
Went there, the inspector went through the file and asked me to take a blank sheet of paper and get the impression again (he kept the file with him).
Went to the car, got the impression, returned and submitted the sheet.
He signed Form 25, got the stamp on the same at the table opposite the inspector (the guy who stamped the form asked for Rs 50 but I pretended I didn’t hear him and left the hall right away).

Went back to hall 11. Showed the docs. They said all docs are fine and kept the file.
I asked them, no receipt or acknowledgement? They said all online.
I insisted, lady said you can take Xerox of docs.
Went downstairs, got Xerox of smart card cash receipt and Form 25.
Went back and submitted the file.

I think the reason I got done so soon was because there was no inspection and there was no rush today.

The central govt has moved several services online (linked with aadhar).
bugatti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 20:12   #261
BHPian

So does it mean that re-registration after 15 years doesnt require fitness test?
Old 14th March 2021, 14:53   #262
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion in the new thread (Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Found this very useful. Thanks to the advice here, I made arrangements and went to the RTO. Got done in 20min. Start to finish.
Thanks for the detailed write up! A far cry from what it used to be earlier!

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 19:55. Reason: Linking to new thread
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks