Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker
so what are the things the RTO guys usually look into?
The currency that comes along with the paperwork kept inside the RC,usually.
Seriously!
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Bah, Ive heard such horror stories from friends, I recommend you just pay the chappie a little more and get it delivered home without them seeing the car. If the inspectors in a bad mood, he will bring up all kinds of ridiculous points, and his authority is final. Just silly games for more money. And paying an RTO inspector is NOT as easy as you'd think.
Old 6th August 2007, 23:46   #18
BHPian

Yes indeed! Sir Anirbaan. But I have sold the 1221 in Dec '06 which I later regretted very very much and therefore bought this mint condition President recently and am trying to stay afloat with the Fiat club once again enjoying the ownership of a FIAT brand..
Old 7th August 2007, 00:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Yes indeed! Sir Anirbaan. But I have sold the 1221 in Dec '06 which I later regretted very very much and therefore bought this mint condition President recently and am trying to stay afloat with the Fiat club once again enjoying the ownership of a FIAT brand..
Ha Ha, so you are Rony Vesuna! See I even remembered your name. But why did you sell such a lovely car?
Old 30th December 2008, 03:01   #20

28 Year old car, out of state registration, expired insurance, no CF!

Hi,
I have a 1980 Toyota Corolla (black/left hand drive) in Bangalore. It's my dad's car, shipped from Saudi Arabia in 1993.
  • Car registered in Satara (MH 11), Maharashtra in Oct 1993 in my dad's name. been used in Mumbai mostly. Drove it to Bangalore in 2005, did not register again.
  • Insurance issued from Mumbai branch of New India Assurance, currently expired. Till now my dad used to mail me the insurance papers every year. Got overlooked this time since I was travelling.
  • I don't have any NOC or Fitness Certificate nor has registration been renewed/done locally
  • Lifetime tax was paid to Satara RTO in 1995.
I now want to send this car to Pune from Bangalore and have discussed with a transporter who moves Tata's new vehicles from Pune to Bangalore and goes back empty.

Now, the current legal mess:
  • The transport company expects the RC Book, Insurance and a hand-written declaration from me.
    • I'm not sure if the fact that I don't own the car makes a difference (all the paper's have my dad's name)
  • My insurance is expired, the insurance agent says I need a fitness certificate, which the Satara RTO should issue
    • Is this true? if I just want to a 3rd party policy (which I believe is all I can get) do I need to complete so much formality?
    • Since, the car is in Bangalore, it's quite impossible for Satara RTO to issue such a certificate anyway
    • I'm not sure if Bangalore RTO can issue this certificate, since I'm not registered with them. I could bluff that I just got the car here this month...and want to transport it back, but I doubt that will work unless I show them an expired certificate.
    • I wonder if a fitness certificate is even required if I want to send the car in a truck! Insurance certainly is...
  • So, I cant get a Fitness Certi, so I cant get insurance, so I can't send the car back! It's a vicious loop!
  • Also, it seems older cars need to be re-registered after 15 years and then every 5. Oct 2008 marked the completion of 15 years of registration, will that be an issue?
Somehow if I manage to get insurance in Bangalore, I certainly don't want to be in a mess where the car is halfway to it's destination on a truck and the transporter get's stopped with legal questions about fitness, registration and ownership (paper's being in my dad's name and me sending the car).

Does anyone know the right legal information related to this? and do you have any suggestions or contacts of agents who can solvet this issue and ensure me that the car is ready to be transported?

Thanks in advance,
Sameer

The transport discussion is at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1103558
Old 30th December 2008, 13:11   #21
BANNED

Please contact a nationalised insurance co. direct. In Bangalore. Just talk to them about insurance.

You need insurance even for renewing the registration and fitness, to they ought to issue the registration.

If the transporter does not take car, simply drive it yourselves!!!
Old 30th December 2008, 13:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

SamKing,

I would recommend that you really get the documents all in order. Let me get this straight:

- Your insurance is expired
- Your car registration is expired.
- You have not paid any taxed in Bangalore (the current location of car)

Man, you are deep trouble if you ever get checked! Please be careful and do get these all in order.

And as BCD said, if you are not able to get anyone to move ur vehicle back to Pune, better drive it out. I reckon you will have better luck in Pune that in Bangalore with this vehicles records.
Old 30th December 2008, 13:54   #23

@backseatdriver and @happywheels
Thanks for the replies. I'm aware that I have a paperwork mess on my hands...

If you take a look at this thread, you would know why I don't want to drive it out all the way.

Do you have any right legal information about the following?
- Is there any way to bypass the fitness certificate issue and get a regular 3rd party insurance?
- Since Bangalore RTO will not issue it and anyways I am sending the car by truck - let's assume that it's not fit to be driven and does not need the certificate. It is being sent to it's registration location, where the certificate can be issued.
- Will I get insurance considering that this is the 15th year of registration? If not, what should be done? (Other than registering in Bangalore which does not make sense since I'm sending the car to Maharashtra)
- Can I just get a transport insurance and have it sent by truck?
Old 30th December 2008, 14:03   #24
BHPian

what you need to do is : go to the insurance office pay up the premium , take the copy of the paid receipt ( not the policy ) , go to the rto pay the fee reqd for fitness certificate take the reciept ,

then give copy of rto receipt to insurance office and collect policy .
then submit copy of insurance policy to the rto and collect fitness certificate.
Old 30th December 2008, 19:13   #25

Thanks Siddartha! That sounds like something that could work!
Very interesting, I was not aware there's so much trust in receipts!

Tell me something, will the Bangalore RTO issue Fitness Certificate for an out-of-state car?
Old 30th December 2008, 21:17   #26
BANNED

@samking - did you notice that the new cars which the transporters bring to b'lore are not registered? But they will be insured. I guess the transporters are asking for insurance because they do not want to be sued by you in case of damage to the car in transit. If you have insurance, they are assured that you will go after the insurance company rather than after the transporter.

I guess you need to talk to them again with this in mind. Since the registration expired only in October 2008. a letter to the effect that the vehicle is being taken by road because the registration expired may satisfy the transporter.

Remember that the transporter too has some red-tape to handle on the roads - check posts (RTO, sales tax, octroi, police, and god knows what).

Edit:- DO NOT approach the b'lore RTO - they will loot you for one time tax. Moderator Samurai has to pay a five figure amount for re-registering a 1994 (or so) model Jeep - check his thread on "Living with a Mahindra or similar jeep". Your one time tax, in all probabilities, will run into a bigger amount.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 30th December 2008 at 21:19.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Can you get the FC fitness certificate form any state or does the car have to be physically taken to the RTO of registry to get the same? i.e. I see a lot of classics/vinatge cars in Mumbai with their orignal passing (MP/DL/HR/CAX..etc) how do they manage to procure the FC?
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Out of state cars fitness certificate?

I see a lot of classic cars 15 years and older with outstation registration. Does one have to take the car back to it orignal state/city of registration to get a fitness certificate or can it be done at any RTO?

Thx
Old 12th January 2009, 12:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys can no one throw light on this issue of certifiying out of state cars for fitness. How does one get a FC for cars registered in another state?

Do you take the car physically back to the place of registry?
or
You take it to local RTO who do out of state?
or
You can get it down at place of registry without car being there physically?
Old 12th January 2009, 13:05   #30

@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR - I believe, the fresh car's that come to the city without registration probably have a separate official process to do that, they would have some paperwork from the factory to prove they are brand new and unregistered and being carried by authorized truckers.

As far as the insurance is concerned, the transporter has anyways asked me to take an (optional) additional insurance for the transport trip - it will cost me some 1.5 to 2% of the car's value.
I don't think the general 3rd party policy covers the car being transported.

Now that I think about it, I do agree with you that approaching the Bangalore RTO may not be that great an idea. I'm trying to get my insurance done from Mumbai where it originally was - hopefully my agent will be able to pull some strings and courier me the documents I need. And like you say, the transporter should be able to bribe his way through any additional issues - hopefully he won't put me in a soup by being too goody-goody!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks