Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 20:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Well i will be getting the wipers fixed this month and 'attempt' to get the registration renewed next month.Think the registration will cost around 5-6k. If it goes higher than expected i may opt to sell off the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Thanks please keep me updated as I too may decide to sell if cost more than 5k as daily running is 4 kms only .
I had gone to a driving school the other day.The total cost will be 4500 bucks including fees of the driving school.The regular papers like RC book,insurance etc will be needed and the car would be needed to be taken to the RTO office.A recent report of wheel alignment would also be needed.

One can renew the registration max 15 days before the expiration of the registration and no sooner.Since mine is registered in june i would have to wait till june to get my RC renewed.

The owner need not be present with the car at the time on inspection.I was told i can drop the car at the driving school in the morning 10 Am and get it back in the evening.

Also i was told the malfunctioning of wipers would not cause the car to fail but asked to check stuff like lights etc.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 09:05   #62
BHPian

Thanks Sumeet makes me wonder now is is it worth keeping the 800 now with increasing expenses . By the way I too had got the wiper blade/arm assembly and motor fixed last year and put new tail lights as the old ones had got faded / new horn as the old one stopped working now I need to change all tyres and rims as the rims have rusted , the tyres ar original 1997 (3) and 2001 (2) so high time I changed them . But the added expenses for a 800 is too much for the car 2500*4=10000 + 850*4=3400 + 2000 insurance + 3000 service + 4500 fitness in sept 26000++ for a car worth 30000 maybe skimp on tyres and service and only do fitness and insurance (compulsary). It may be noted the care is used as a 3rd car 5 days a week for small work about 4 km on each day . 1997 800 AcTg with 30000 kms only.Full history no acciedent etc . May think of nano in sept ??
Old 27th April 2012, 15:33   #63
Senior - BHPian

Last week I approached the RTO (thru a good agent/friend of mine) for the following.

1995 MM540 Jeep, TN07 (Chennai) registered, RC Validity expired 2 years ago, it was a Inspector General of Police (Govt Auction jeep).

FC - Expired
Green Tax - Expired
Insurance - Expired
Yearly tax - Expired for (10,11) need to pay for 2012
Emission - Expired
Name Transfer - Pending (from auctioner to current owner)

All I did was pay 3500Rs for Third Party Insurance and 8200Rs for RTO work in TOTAL to the agent, along with the RC book, 3 PP Size pics, 1 Govt Photo ID of new owner and waited for 2-3days for his phone call.

Got the phone call one evening, and next day morning cleaned the jeep and parked it next to the RTO in a open ground. The RTO Inspector arrived and asked 'armed forces flag - GIVE 100Rs' - and was chatting away with some other person while he signed the file which was kept on the bonnet - no checking for chassis#, engine#, painting, interior, brakes, running condition - nothing!

All this was possible because (after I got the fully updated and current RC paper work) the original charges for this entire work was hardly 4000Rs. More than 4.5K went in greasing without which a beaten down 17 year old jeep wont get 'RTO passing' so easily! Sigh!
Old 27th April 2012, 21:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Thanks Sumeet makes me wonder now is is it worth keeping the 800 now with increasing expenses .
Most people keep a 15 year or more older car out of sentimental reasons.It frankly makes no economical sense to spend so much on car which has low 'market' value.If your 800 does not have any such sentimental values attached to it then it's no use keeping the same and you could consider selling it else it too can become a white elephant kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
More than 4.5K went in greasing without which a beaten down 17 year old jeep wont get 'RTO passing' so easily! Sigh!
Was it not possible to get the FC done on time.4.5 k would have got you something decent for the car itself

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th April 2012 at 21:21.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 09:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

I got fitness certificate for my car without taking my car anywhere, this was 5 years ago.

Got it done from METRO driving school, Sewri, Mumbai.
He also promised me to get my bike passing done without my bike, all for 5000rs including green tax, this is for my CD 100 which is past 23 years.
Old 11th June 2012, 20:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the FC done today.Got it done from a driving school (bhavi motors).Total cost 4.5k , 3.2 for the green tax and rest for the passing.I was a bit worried about the registration renewal for two reasons.

1.My wiper on the driver side no longer exist and has broken off due to rust.
2.The car has a Automech FFE.

Seems both did not cause any issues and the car was passed.Will be getting the documents on saturday.Had provided original RC,photo copy of insurance and the bill for wheel balancing and alignment.I am very much relieved the FC thing is done with.

On a footnote i had also removed the conical air intake and replaced it with a stock intake of the 800 so as to not to garner too much attention.Overall except for the wipers my car is maintained in good condition.
Old 14th September 2012, 18:21   #67

Hi all,
I've come across a couple of bikes and need urgent help on the paperwork.the details of the bike are as follows-

Bike 1-
1986 yezdi delexue.Was originally a Pondicherry registered bike but the registration has been changed to Tamil Nadu (TN 49).The paperwork for this bike is incomplete.Some of the info of the bike
* It's a 3rd owner vehicle and I'll be the 4th if I pick it up.
* Insurance expired since 2006.
* Fitness certificates need to be done from 2006 onwards.(Two FCs needed)
* Green tax needs to be paid,again since 2006.
* Road tax needs to be paid from 2006.Vehicle does not have life tax.
* Also the current owner hasn't transferred papers to his name so the book still has the previous owner's name.

Bike 2-
1974 Ideal Jawa. It is a Tamil Nadu registered vehicle (TNE XXX).The current status of this bike is-
*Insurance expired since 2006.
* Fitness certificates need to be done from 2006 onwards.(Two FCs needed)
* Green tax needs to be paid,again since 2006.
* Similar to the yezdi,the current owner hasn't transferred papers to his name so the book still has the previous owner's name.

Both the bikes are mechanically fit.Only paperwork seems to complicated.So my questions are as follows-
1-How safe is this deal? The vehicles belong to the same owner but his name is not mentioned in the RC book as he's not transferred it to his name so how do I know if it's not a stolen vehicle etc.
2-Knowing the current status of the bikes,what other papers should I check for?
3-Current owner says he'll give it in writing that he's selling me the bikes so will that do?
4-How much would it cost to get the papers straight(I live in Chennai) for both the bikes?

Thank you in advance!

P.S:-Din't know where to post this as I'm a newbie so mods feel free to move/merge to the appropriate section or thread.
Old 6th October 2012, 14:17   #68

Hello All,

I have gone through this thread and still unable to conclude on the below scenario of mine. Any help will be really appreciated.

I have a 95 model Zen - MH410 to be precise for which I am a second owner since April 2007. I bought it through a used car dealer in Bangalore. It was a Delhi registration vehicle with all necessary taxes paid in Bangalore along with other documents.

During owner transfer, I got it re-registered to Bangalore registration (KR Puram) in Sep 2007. it is now a KA registration. (It was around 3.5K for me to get it re-registered through the same dealer)

Now the question ....

In my RC all the details are accurate but it doesn't show the fitness certificate section filled in. However when I check in the online vehicle details (Vahan.nic.in) it shows that the fitness is valid till 11th Sep 2022.

Can i take it as valid fitness till 2022 or need to undergo a fitness check and get amended in RC book ?

By the way, the vehicle is in a very good condition and I have rolled around 60K in since I bought.

Thanks...
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:27   #69
BHPian

Hi friends. My 1997 Maruti Esteem's is registered in Dehradun while I stay in Delhi.
Its fitness expired in June this year & therefore needs to be renewed.
Qns-1) Is it poss to get this done thru some Delhi based intermediary w/o taking the car to Ddun?
If yes & you know of a reliable person,I'll appreciate it if you could plz pm me his contact details & also give me a clue of the expected damages.
2) Would this automatically renew the registration or is that a separate process.
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
TIA
Old 19th March 2013, 17:39   #70
BHPian

Hi,

Our OMNI is now getting 20 years old. We got a 5 years fitness certificate after it completed its 15 years, and now it is also going to be expired in a couple of months. Although the van is in good condition but it is used very rarely.

The following link suggests that a subsequent fitness certificate are issued for 5 years:

http://delhigovt.nic.in/newdelhi/dept/transport/tr9.asp

Anybody in Delhi has obtained subsequent fitness certificates of his/her vehicles? How tough is to obtain the fitness certificate?

Although we have got a 30k offer but I am not really interested in selling it off. Please advise.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 19th March 2013 at 17:40.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Its not very difficult but if you want to avoid long queues approach a tout and he will take care of all the running around for a fee raging between 1000 to 2500 depending upon your negotiating skills.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 11:40   #72
BHPian

I got the fitness / registration renewal of our 1997 Viceroy done last week. It is a smooth process IF AND ONLY IF you get it done through a broker. The broker charged me a total of INR 2500.00. He asked me to get the car to the RTO after 2 days. The broker got hold of a motor vehicle inspector who came and just took the pencil imprint of the chassis number. He did not bother to take look at the car’s body, tyres, lights, wipers and even did not take an imprint of the engine number!! I was out of the RTO in less than 30 minutes. Got the new RC delivered by the broker after 2 days.

The actual cost of the procedure is INR 1200.00 i.e. 500.00 for green tax and the remaining 700.00 includes registration renewal, late fees, service charge, postal charge, etc. But if you go directly, you are rest assured that your life will be made as difficult as possible. They will find the silliest of reasons to reject your application for fitness.

I saw this personally during the 20-25 minutes that I was there. An elderly gentleman got his old Maruti 800 for fitness. The way he was spoken to by the motor vehicle inspector (who must have been half his age) was pathetic. The inspector while speaking pointed out at something on the car's body and scribbled something on the receipt the gentleman had given him. The gentleman’s face had fallen. He took back the receipts, started the car and left. I saw the car when he was going back and it looked very well maintained. No scratches, dents and rust. The worst part was the car’s owner had not even opened the bonnet for chassis / engine number verification!!

This clearly shows the nexus between the RTO staff and the brokers.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 13:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

RTO's in Mumbai have enforced some stricter rules by announcing a fine in case of delay in the fitness test of 15+ ys old cars even by a day. The fine will be Rs 1000/- for the delay of first 10 days and subsequent delays by a day will cost Rs100/- per day. This is to put a stop for the vehicles approaching RTO a month after the due dates. The penalties enforced will be for all private and commercial vehicles.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19353762.cms
Old 29th October 2013, 12:16   #74
BHPian

I just got my 15 year old Gypsy inspected for fitness in Delhi at the I.P. Estate MLO. An interesting experience, unlike other seedy MLO offices (I refer to Sheikh Sarai for example) there are no touts around. There are no photocopy guys or health certificate issuers. The office is modern and open plan, like a Bank so everything is visible. Did not notice any underhand dealings that may be going on.

The documents required are (a) old RC in original, (b) Insurance, PUC and proof of residence document all need to be ATTESTED. ( I had to go back the first time as the copies I had were not attested. I got it done by a notary public for 20 bucks per document)

The renewal of Registration fee is Rs.200/- ( I had to pay another fine of Rs.200, as my earlier fitness expired in March) All receipted

In addition I had to pay Rs. 416/- ( rs. 370 plus service tax) to the designated agency for Smart Optical Vehicle Registration Certificate.
Gear-ge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 14:13   #75
BHPian

My experiences at the Trimulgherry Hyderabad RTO have been equally pleasing. Never had to pay any tout to get work done. Our family however has a 14 y.o M800 that will need to be re-registered next year. Will have to see what I experience then.

The smart card fee is such a grand rip off. Yet to see a single officer use it on the road to check details.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks