Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2018, 19:57   #121

Re: 15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

I have a year 2000 Royal Enfield bullet registered in Gurgaon. The registration of the bike expired in 2015. I have been on the move across different cities due to job changes and I realised that renewal was due only after the registration had already expired.

I spoke with a few agents in Delhi area, and got to know that my record is now deleted from the Gurgaon RTO because of the NGT order and there is no way I can get an NoC to register the bike in another state.

Now, since the record of a particular vehicle is deleted shouldn't it be treated like a new vehicle in another state. Why an NoC should be required? Can I not re-register the bike, in another state, without the NoC?

The bike is in a very very good condition and still has enough grunt to last me another 15 years.

Please advice.
Old 29th January 2018, 21:42   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

As per my understanding it is too late now, you should have obtained the NOC well in advance. The only legal option now is to scrap the bike (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishi01 View Post
Now, since the record of a particular vehicle is deleted shouldn't it be treated like a new vehicle in another state. Why an NoC should be required? Can I not re-register the bike, in another state, without the NoC?
No. It will be treated as a piece of metal, nothing more. Obviously you will need NOC to get it registered with a different state / RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishi01 View Post
The bike is in a very very good condition and still has enough grunt to last me another 15 years
One more possibility to continue using the bike, get a scrap vehicle with valid documents. Refurbish the frame & engine center case and transfer all other spares and continue using.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 29th January 2018 at 21:45.
Old 2nd April 2018, 20:45   #123
BHPian

Folks,

I recently applied for renewal of registration certificate for my 15 year old Santro at Jayanagar RTO, Bangalore. This process is pretty smooth if you are prepared. No need to go to any touts and pay hefty sum. I paid Rs 1100 (600 registration and 500 green tax). It is important that you apply for renewal before your present registration becomes invalid as fines are pretty high. I saw people paying many thousands for missing the expiry date.

Fine amount – Rs 500 per month for 4-wheeler and Rs 300 per month for 2-wheeler

Documents needed

1. Your original RC
2.Valid insurance copy
3.Valid emission certificate copy
4.Duly filled form 25 (attached here)

You need to bring your vehicle for inspection. Please ensure that is clean and in presentable condition. Things to watchout for:

1.Head lamp (dim/bright), brake lamp/tail lamp and indicator should be in working condition without any damage.
2. Inspector will ask you to start the vehicle, switch on/off head lamps and indicator.
3. Reverse the car and press the brake. He would check the brake light etc

If there are any issues with any of the three listed above, be assured, inspector will ask you to come back after fixing the problem. I made a mistake of not checking these and had to go back next day after fixing my head lamp (dim light bulb). If you are well prepared with above listed, it won’t take more than half a day to finish the application.

Process applicable at RTO Jayanagar (I am sure it would be more or less same in other places)

1. Park your vehicle in RTO vicinity. In my case, RTO Jayanar is at the second floor on Jayanagar 4th block bus stand bulding. You have to park your vehicle at the roof-top parking lot.
2. Go to the RTO office in second floor and meet the superintendent with your duly filled form 25 and other documents (listed above). They will check and ask you to pay the fee.
3. Go to cash counter and pay the fee
4. Go to the roof-top parking area where inspector would be checking all the vehicles. Present your fee and documents.
5. Inspector checks your vehicle. If everything is fine, he will ask you to go to another officer to check your documents
6. After your documents are verified, this officer will add some more details to the form and ask you to go back to the inspector.
7. Inspector will add his signature and ask you to submit the form in the counter
8. File your application, supporting documents, receipt along with a postal cover with stamps (don’t remember the value) and submit the same. You have to buy the RTO file/folder from nearby shop along with stamps. There are good businessmen who would be selling all these at the office door steps if you are lucky. Otherwise you have to go to the shop.
9. Once you have submitted the application, you will get an acknowledgement. You should get the renewed certificate in 28 days

I am still waiting for the certificate, should get in couple of weeks. Attaching both form 25 and a picture file (sorry for the not-so-great pic quality) stating pre-requisites for various RTO process.

Jayanagar RTO application submission schedule

Monday to Friday – 10 AM to 1 PM
Saturday – 10 AM to 12 PM

Good luck with your certificate of registration renewal !
Attached Thumbnails
15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-rto-processes.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RTO form 25.pdf (117.8 KB, 10017 views)
venks is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 14:00   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venks View Post
Folks,

I recently applied for renewal of registration certificate for my 15 year old Santro at Jayanagar RTO, Bangalore. This process is pretty smooth if you are prepared. No need to go to any touts and pay hefty sum. I paid Rs 1100 (600 registration and 500 green tax). It is important that you apply for renewal before your present registration becomes invalid as fines are pretty high. I saw people paying many thousands for missing the expiry date.

!
Thanks Venks. Appreciate this guidance.

Folks,
Pls do share any such experiences.

I have my First Love- '98 M 800 due in June'18.
Planning to drive her down to Hyd from Chennai on 1st or 3rd May.
Pls share any references or agents who can get this done.
If possible, I will be there in person on 4th May.

AP 11 Seems to be Malakpet area.

Thanks in advance.

Maverick79
Old 24th July 2018, 12:54   #125
BHPian

Re: What happens after the registration validity of my car expires

I have a DL registered 2006 Baleno lying with my parents in the NCR. I myself live in Bangalore. The car has so pathetic resale that even a similar old Alto fetches more. The Baleno was built so well, typical old Japanese engineering, that I don't have any doubts that it is good for many more years to follow. As my parents own a Tata Zest as well, the Baleno is just lying around while unable to sell. Though I have got a car (a 2015 new Fiesta) in Bangalore, I can actually use the Baleno as my daily driver (light controls for city traffic), also wife can use it as well.

Options I got:
1. Sell it off for 50-60 k, that's all it can fetch, it seems.
2. Let it be there, at least parking is not a problem there and father loves it.
3. Get it transported to Bangalore, maintain it the way it deserves and pocket permits.

Registration will expire in 2021. If at all it is to be transported to Bangalore, after 3 years, will I have to get it renewed in Delhi? Will it be possible to get registration renewed there without the car being physically present there?
Or should I just get it registered in Bangalore now itself and when the time to get the registration renewed comes, I will just get it done here itself..

Please car gurus of the internet.. show me the best way..
Old 24th July 2018, 13:13   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Options I got:
1. Sell it off for 50-60 k, that's all it can fetch, it seems.
2. Let it be there, at least parking is not a problem there and father loves it.
3. Get it transported to Bangalore, maintain it the way it deserves and pocket permits.

Registration will expire in 2021. If at all it is to be transported to Bangalore, after 3 years, will I have to get it renewed in Delhi? Will it be possible to get registration renewed there without the car being physically present there?
Or should I just get it registered in Bangalore now itself and when the time to get the registration renewed comes, I will just get it done here itself..
Hi,

If your parents can use it in Delhi even intermittently, I will serve some purpose and keep it alive. That looks like the option if I were you.

Transporting to Bangalore is the option I would like to avoid because KA is strict to out of state registrations + high registration & road tax charges. Who knows if you end up spending more than the resale just for registration and transport.

If you choose not to register the car in KA, you shall not be able to renew the registration in DL in 2021 (IFF the NGT/ Govt allow) without the physical inspection of the car.

If you are willing to spend the big bucks and enjoy the car in KA, then please be my guest. Nothing like the joy of owning and driving a car like the old Baleno. But for me the more viable option is to let your parents use it in DL along with the Zest. Call your shots accordingly.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 24th July 2018, 13:48   #127
Senior - BHPian

Re: What happens after the registration validity of my car expires

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post

Please car gurus of the internet.. show me the best way..
Cars usually need a physical inspection by a MV inspector for FC renewal. Also , the NGT has banned 15 year old petrol vehicles in Delhi . You can't get it renewed in Delhi for sure.

I would say sell it off for whatever price you get.
Old 11th August 2018, 15:23   #128

Where was this done - state/ city? I live in Bangalore and I doubt the "officials" here are that co-operative!
Old 11th August 2018, 22:24   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuho View Post
Where was this done - state/ city? I live in Bangalore and I doubt the "officials" here are that co-operative!
What is the context here? What do you mean by that 'co-operative'?

Pl. explain.
Old 12th August 2018, 14:07   #130
BHPian

Hi Folks

I live in New Delhi and have a 2003 Honda City 1.5 which will have its fitness expired in October 1st week.

Car has a CNG fuel option endorsed on RC around 6 years back. We used her on CNG for around two years only. We bought a new CNG wagon R so we removed the entire CNG kit from Honda City citing to low usage.

In my close to 10 years of usage she was trouble free and still just half self is needed to start her. Its used around a couple of times in a month and is still in great condition with the ODO close to 145000

Now we are fond of this car and want to retain it which is apparently not possible to be done in Delhi NCR anymore.

Currently we don't have a private parking or else I would have taken an NOC and just parked her.

Will there be any other options to retain/use it?

A couple of images of my OHC.
Attached Thumbnails
15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-20160907_084254.jpg  

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-photo0015.jpg  

Old 12th August 2018, 15:20   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What is the context here? What do you mean by that 'co-operative'?

Pl. explain.
I was responding to the post by anjan_c2007 about the process. My personal experience at the Koramangala RTO few years ago for a different reason was not too great, hence was wondering if these officials have changed their attitude.
Old 12th August 2018, 20:23   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
Hi Folks

I live in New Delhi and have a 2003 Honda City 1.5 which will have its fitness expired in October 1st week.

Car has a CNG fuel option endorsed on RC around 6 years back. We used her on CNG for around two years only. We bought a new CNG wagon R so we removed the entire CNG kit from Honda City citing to low usage.

In my close to 10 years of usage she was trouble free and still just half self is needed to start her. Its used around a couple of times in a month and is still in great condition with the ODO close to 145000

Now we are fond of this car and want to retain it which is apparently not possible to be done in Delhi NCR anymore.

Currently we don't have a private parking or else I would have taken an NOC and just parked her.

Will there be any other options to retain/use it?

A couple of images of my OHC.
I also have a 2003 Old Honda City, registration expired in March. The car is a dud. I could drive it, but I always run the risk of being caught by cops. When you're in the wrong, you're already standing on weak footing and all it takes is a strict cop to haul you up.

I'd suggest you get a NOC immediately and post the ad on OLX, you'd be swarmed by potential buyers from outside Delhi, mostly Punjab, etc., they'd buy the car readily. BUT you have to be careful that the ownership gets transferred to the buyer. Otherwise, once the car's registration expires, you'll have no option but to scrap the car. Probably get 20k out from that.
Old 26th August 2018, 00:31   #133
BHPian

Been researching on this topic as I am in a quandary myself. Posting my situation in this thread as it seems to be the most active one (going by the last post at least).

I've put up my old Willys Jeep for sale but realized recently that the RC has expired, since last year Jun. I was out of country at the time and couldn't help it. Anyway, the situation now is, although I am ready to pay the (hefty) fines for the RC renewal, I do not have a valid insurance; never got one since getting the vehicle here as the usage was bare minimum. So, am in a deadlock now as, per the rules, each of these need the other to be valid. My agent is obviously quoting a pretty hefty sum, (apart from the RC renewal fine) for the 'clean-up' but I am reluctant and want to give it a try @RTO myself?!

Also, is a FC mandatory for vintage vehicles? The Telangana TS dept. website is not very clear on this part; quoting the URL and the matter for interpretation and guidance.

http://transport.telangana.gov.in/html/faq.php?cat=51

"
TO GET YOUR VEHICLE CERTIFIED FOR FITNESS?

a) Requirements for Grant/Renewal of Certificate of Fitness:

• Form C.F.A for Transport Category Vehicle or relevant forms for the Non-Transport Category Vehicle.
• Form C.F.R.A for Renewal of Fitness Certificate in case of Transport Vehicle and in case of Non-Transport Vehicle please See: Renewal of Registration of Vehicle.
• Vehicle for physical Inspection by the Inspecting Authority
• Certificate of Registration
• Insurance Certificate
• Pollution under Control Certificate if the vehicle is more than 1 year old.
• Tax payment receipt.

Note:
• For a Non-Transport Category the vehicle should be in good condition as per the details mentioned in the Form 20, 21 or any relevant documents prescribed by MV Act and Rules.
• For the Transport Category the vehicle should comply with the provisions of the MV Act, APMV Act and Rules made there under for that particular category of vehicle for the purpose for which the vehicle is to be used on public place.
• For renewal of Fitness Certificate of Educational Institution Buses, Fitness Certificate is renewed for every 12 months with cut-off times on May 31st.
• In case of the issue of CFRR the applicant has to produce the vehicle after rectifying the defects.
"

Please guide me!!

Last edited by avinash_m : 26th August 2018 at 00:37. Reason: Adding query
Old 19th September 2018, 12:48   #134
BHPian

I am interested in buying a 2004 Toyota RAV4. I live in Chennai but the car is registered in Delhi, but currently in Chennai.

Is the process too cumbersome re-register etc? Also next year the Vehicle will become 15years.

Or should I just let it go?

Would appreciate some advice. Thank you
Old 19th September 2018, 15:30   #135
Senior - BHPian

The process is cumbersome, but if you don't mind paying extra things work out. First and foremost will be the NOC to be procured from Delhi. Going rate as of now is about 2500/3000 depending upon the RTO. But this is still the easy part. Then find another agent at Chennai who shall guide you through the process of re registration at Chennai. But it will take some time and also ensure that you have more than 6 months RC validity at the time of applying for the NOC at Delhi.

@Avinash, since you have not ever insured it, therefore, insuring it at this point will not be possible and without Insurance you cannot get the fitness renewed. Unless, ofcourse there is always an unless in India, you know someone in Insurance who can get you that one third party insurance for your jeep. In that case you have a valid insurance to get the process initiated for the RC renewal.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks