Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2018, 13:19   #136
BHPian

Re: 15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

Thank you @wanderernomad,
I do have a friend who can help at the Chennai end. He also mentioned that since the car was imported the 15year rule applies from year of registration and not year of manufacturing . Which means its 2010, and valid will 2025.
Is this information correct?
Old 20th September 2018, 18:07   #137
BHPian

Re: Certificate of Fitness (CF) for Diesel Cars?

Is it the same 15+ years for Diesel Cars OR is it lesser than 15?
Old 20th September 2018, 23:32   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Also, is a FC mandatory for vintage vehicles? The Telangana TS dept. website is not very clear on this part; quoting the URL and the matter for interpretation and guidance.

http://transport.telangana.gov.in/html/faq.php?cat=51

"
TO GET YOUR VEHICLE CERTIFIED FOR FITNESS?
a) Requirements for Grant/Renewal of Certificate of Fitness:

• Form C.F.A for Transport Category Vehicle or relevant forms for the Non-Transport Category Vehicle.
• Form C.F.R.A for Renewal of Fitness Certificate in case of Transport Vehicle and in case of Non-Transport Vehicle please See: Renewal of Registration of Vehicle.
• Vehicle for physical Inspection by the Inspecting Authority
• Certificate of Registration
• Insurance Certificate
• Pollution under Control Certificate if the vehicle is more than 1 year old.
• Tax payment receipt.

Note:
• For a Non-Transport Category the vehicle should be in good condition as per the details mentioned in the Form 20, 21 or any relevant documents prescribed by MV Act and Rules.
• For the Transport Category the vehicle should comply with the provisions of the MV Act, APMV Act and Rules made there under for that particular category of vehicle for the purpose for which the vehicle is to be used on public place.
• For renewal of Fitness Certificate of Educational Institution Buses, Fitness Certificate is renewed for every 12 months with cut-off times on May 31st.
• In case of the issue of CFRR the applicant has to produce the vehicle after rectifying the defects.

Please guide me!!
- Fitness is mandatory for all privately owned (non transport) motor vehicles that are older than 15 years.

- If due to some reason the fitness is not done on the day the existing fitness lapses, the requisite fine needs to be paid as per the prescribed rates. There is a Madras HC judgment quashing the increased fines by the Union Transport Ministry wef 29.12.2016. The judgment came during April 2017 and is applicable to the state of Tamil Nadu (image attached) where the older rates were charged thereafter. Maharashtra has also taken cue and the hefty fines are no longer levied here since about seven to eight months ago.

- The fitness certificate is given for a period of five years wef the date the vehicle passes the fitness test.

- As you have stated these are the requisite documents with which the vehicle is to be produced before the authorised Motor Vehicles Inspector (MVI) who checks the vehicle.

• Form C.F.A for Transport Category Vehicle or relevant forms for the Non-Transport Category Vehicle.
• Form C.F.R.A for Renewal of Fitness Certificate in case of Transport Vehicle .
• Vehicle for physical inspection by the Inspecting Authority
• Certificate of Registration (xerox copy)
• Insurance Certificate (xerox copy)
• Pollution under Control Certificate if the vehicle is more than 1 year old.
(xerox copy)
• Tax payment receipt and receipt showing you have paid the fitness fees.
(xerox copy)
- Also Green Tax receipt if applicable in the state (xerox copy)

Usually the MVI checks the engine number, chassis number of the vehicle to ensure that these have not been changed/ tampered. He also checks the overall condition of the vehicle. Sometimes overall mechanical condition, headlights, parking lights and brake lights are also checked. He signs on the requisite papers (forms) and a new RC smart card is issed in due course by the RTO. Till the smart card is issued, the original fitness fee pyment receipt and other papers need to be produced, if any traffic authority seeks to check the motor vehicle on the road.

During the past one year I have done fitness for three of my vehicles that were due and did not face any hassles whatsoever. My 1987 Maruti 800 had sunfilm with the legal visibility limits from its sides and from its rear. A few other car owners had removed the sunfilms before appearing for the inspection, while in the queue, as some agents men were moving, asking for their removal after paying an amount to them quoting the MVI's directives. When my turn came, the MVI complained about the sunfilms that were not removed from my car. I asked the MVI as to which law he was applying ? He said there is a SC judgment. I showed him my advocate's sticker on the car and said that I am a regular in the courts. The SC judgment specifies visibility limits from the front, sides and rear glasses and does not ask for a full removal of sunfilms under any circumstances. And for that, a visibility meter is required to test the visibility of the sunfilm, I added. He gave up and said OK your car is through.

One old RE Bullet from the 1980's that had a very bad paintwork, with some rusting was asked to leave and the owner was told to get back the bike after repainting.

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-chennai-hc-quashes-amendment.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th September 2018 at 23:49.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 11:43   #139
BHPian

Dear BHPians, i want to get NOC for my 2011 Swift Vdi in Delhi, however its Chasiss number is rusted and not readable. Can anyone help me how to get it done?

Thank You.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th December 2018 at 11:30. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd February 2019, 20:26   #140
BHPian

Quick check:
Is there an online application system available under VAAHAN for registration renewal? I was unable to open their vehicle related services link (https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...homepage.xhtml from the main page https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/)
If anybody have used the online renewal service, if one is available, please share.

Regards
Rex
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:54   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
Dear BHPians, i want to get NOC for my 2011 Swift Vdi in Delhi, however its Chasiss number is rusted and not readable. Can anyone help me how to get it done?

Thank You.

Hi were you able to get the NOC . I am having the same issue of Rust on chassis number.
Old 4th February 2019, 17:44   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm25264 View Post
Hi were you able to get the NOC . I am having the same issue of Rust on chassis number.
Delhi RTO asked me to get a new Chassis number and get it properly labeled on my car. Post which they will issue me a new RC with the updated chassis number. Now i am waiting for my updated RC copy. Post which NOC should be easy.
Old 5th February 2019, 16:13   #143
BHPian

Looks like Karnataka RTOs are moving to VAHAN4 automated system for Registration management. Registration related activities are suspended till 8/Feb. For not reading news papers (on which they appear to have advertised this 15 days earlier), I had to make a visit to the RTO and stare at the empty counters on 3rd floor for 30 minutes before somebody told me that, nothing is going to happen till 8th Feb.

Following might be the link to start your Registration related services once they migrate current registration data:
https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...homepage.xhtml

Regards
Rex

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-img_20190204_114525.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Quick check:
Is there an online application system available under VAAHAN for registration renewal? I was unable to open their vehicle related services link (https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...homepage.xhtml from the main page https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/)
rex_varghese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 03:15   #144
BHPian

I renewed the certificate of fitness for my 1986 Maruti 800 at the end of last year from PVD Kolkata. The car itself is in good running condition with everything working though I was apprehensive about what I would face. Nonetheless I arrived at the completely [deserted] office at 10.15am. I foolishly sat around at the "Information Counter" for 15 minutes while some agents and touts taunted me [after their offers to 'help' were turned down]. I then went to the registration section and after a short wait of 15 minutes for the staff, got the initial paperwork done in 15 minutes. The next step was the inspection - as I did not want to take another half day off just for this. I asked firmly if the inspection could be done that day itself. The clerk looked out of the window at the yard where there were hardly a half-dozen cars and as many two-wheelers waiting for the Technical Inspector. He grudgingly agreed and within a few minutes I had raced to my car (parked 5 minutes away) and got in line. Looking around I realised I must have been the only owner to bring a vehicle for inspection (everyone else was from a showroom or a tout). The wait was 20 minutes after which an Inspector did a brief Q&A with me (maybe to ascertain if there was any defect in the vehicle for which he would require persuasion). There being none (he was disappointed and asked why the owner had come if the car was in running condition), I was waved in for the 'inspection' which was nothing but verification of the engine / chassis number and a check for indicators / horn. I was then told to pay the renewal fee which I proceeded to so promptly before the cash counter started getting busy. After payment I was told to pay a separate fee for the 'High-Security' number plate (what a scam!) which took place in a separate building, with the outsourced contractor giving me a receipt with a date and time where it would be installed (Kasba PVD office). I also paid an RC smartcard fee of Rs 340/- and was told that the smartcard would automatically be ready as soon as the system updated that the new plates were installed. Sure enough, the new plates were installed 4 days later and I received an SMS informing that the smartcard was ready another 3 days thence. The collection was from the PVD office itself. Totally two trips to the PVD over two weeks (plus a detour for the installation of the plates). Not an enjoyable experience but much faster than I dared to hope, plus the satisfaction of no bribes. I think the trick is to go early, avoid the touts (not easy) and speak directly with the staff - they are helpful when dealing with owners directly.

Current photo [with the high-security plates]

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-after-reg.jpg

Last edited by Kumar R : 20th March 2019 at 03:22.
Kumar R is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 12:51   #145
ZMG
BHPian

Hi folks, would like to share my experience of getting 15 year old vehicle fitness certificate issued which took place on 26 March 2019 without any agent.

The car in question is New Honda City (Dolphin shaped) - 2004 model.

My father had gone to Koramangla BDA complex in Bangalore on Monday (25th) and was not able to get any idea on what is the process. The agents quoted a commission of about 6 - 7 K.

I read Venks experience in this very thread and decided to take Tuesday off and try if we can get it done.

I reached the place with Insurance copy, Original RC Book, Emission Copy, Form 25 and the car all squeaky and clean with all lights working, but the bumpers had beauty marks all over it.

Once you reach the place, you need to go to 2nd floor at BDA complex, and tell at the help desk you have all the documents.
He will guide you to the Superintend.

The superintend saw the documents are wrote the charges:
1. Smart card - 211
2. Green Tax & Registration - 1100
3. Cess ( introduced recently ) - 1000

They asked us to get a file and have photo copies of the insurance, emission certificate , Car chassis imprint pencil sketch, a self addressed post envelope and original RC book.

Getting the chassis print was a pain as Honda City has the chassis imprint at a very awkward angle and I went to nearby garage who did for 100 bucks.

Post this, you need to pay the cashier, in cash or DD, and then go to room number 2, where the inspector is there.

The inspector just saw the car, opened the bonnet and that's it.

Post this, you need to go back to inspectors room, get a seal on his signature, get the data fed into the data center (it is in one of the last rooms, room 15 mostly) and then finally have the superintends signature again at the same place where he first wrote the amount.

Also, the file that you finally submit has the following documents:
1. Self addressed envelope (You can get the file and envelope at any of the stationary shops on the ground floor, just tell them what it is for)
2. Original RC book
3. Insurance copy
4. Emission copy
5. Receipts of the amount paid
6. Car Chassis pencil sketch

All in all, it took about 3 hours.
We reached around 11, and were back home by 3, with a lunch in between.

I saw a lot of owners getting the hypothecation removal done on their own.

Awaiting the smart card, was told will get in 20 - 25 working days.

PS: I have asked my dad to give me 6K he was going to pay the agents

Cheers

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th July 2019 at 12:48. Reason: typo corrected
ZMG is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 14:42   #146
RWD
BHPian

Hello members,

My 2004 Alto has completed 15 years recently and I want to get the fitness certificate renewed. The car needs some tinkering work on the rear left fender, a tail light replaced and general servicing, before it is presentable for inspection.

Now, the catch-22 situation is - The car is no longer road legal in absence of a valid fitness certificate, but in order to renew the fitness certificate the car needs to be driven to the workshop (my preferred workshop is about 50 kms away), and then later to the RTO for inspection. Now, is there some exception to the rule, which allows the car to be driven to the workshop and RTO on expired certificate?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 7th April 2019, 00:53   #147
BHPian

All lights (headlight, all indicators, parking lights, brake lights should be working perfectly), and car should look generally in decent condition, tyres should not be bald i.e. sufficient visible treads should be there, and your papers should be in order. Also the engine number and chassis number should be something that you can take clear imprints of, "live" in front of the inspector (or their delegates... often some tout). If you can ensure those -- you should take the car to the RTO as soon as possible. There is a tiny risk of being caught driving around a car with registration that is no longer valid, but you use your common sense to come out of it as usual.
Old 27th July 2019, 10:54   #148
BHPian

Folks, Need your expert advice on my RX135 situation.

1. I bought a rx135 20 days back for which insurance had expired and FC is expiring today 7/27/2019. I have now renewed the insurance.

2. I have given the original RC, insurance, emission, form 29, 30 signed by previous owner to my agent. The transfer and FC renewal is in progress.

3. Is there any grace period of 1 month on FC renewal ? Can I use the bike as it is in process of renewal? With new law, I might have to pay hefty fine if caught without FC.

4. Now that FC also is expired will I be able to do transfer and FC together? Or will the FC has to be renewed in old owner's name and upon receiving the RC should I do transfer?

Thanks,
CarBot
Old 28th July 2019, 12:53   #149
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My 2005 Model Dark Green ex Forest Service Gypsy King Mpfi 1.3 petrol 4x4 came with a Registration Certificate and FC valid till 2032. Thank heaven.

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298398.169967.jpg

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298418.532362.jpg

I bought it used in 2018 October.
Gave the earlier UP Reg white one that I had bought from Noida in Oct 2016, to the dealer in exchange for this one.

I can only buy 3rd Party Insurance for this vehicle which costs me around 5000 per annum.

But the thing is, I have spent a lot of effort, time and money and have restored it thoroughly. It has taken around 8 months to bring it to this level and I have only in July this year, more or less satisfied myself with the work done.

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298341.321995.jpg

It now runs sweetly and is more or less as good as new.

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298363.631337.jpg

So I really wish the Government would give us private enthusiast owners some relief by allowing us to get these vehicles inspected and if they are in top condition like mine is, then they should allow us to drive these around daily and enjoy them!

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298506.470370.jpg

Considering that most private vehicles owned by enthusiasts in India are well kept in comparison to the poorly maintained public and commercial vehicles, even if they are only 3-4 years old!

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298024.994937.jpg15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298041.856970.jpg15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298063.800245.jpg
15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298086.306762.jpg15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564298100.625260.jpg

I love this Gypsy and would like very much to keep it with me for a very long time.

I do hope the Government of India encourages private owners who maintain their vehicles perfectly, to keep them rather than scrap them!
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 14:44   #150
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,
My 1995 Contessa 1,8gl will be due for RC/fitness renewal in May 2020.
Last fitness inspection and RC renewal was done in May 2015 in Electronic city RTO (on Bannerghatta road) Bangalore-KA. Had got new RC card.

Now the car is in Mangalore-KA. Can I get the renewal and fitness done in mangalore RTO? I do not want to drive to Bangalore just to get the fitness done.

How much well in advance (How many months before the lapse) I could do the RC renewal?
just want to escape from the proposed hike on re-registration fees
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks