Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 23:51   #181
BHPian

Re: 15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
I'm puzzled! That 2005 car must have been BS-III at best, which was banned since April 1, 2017. So it stands to reason that no registration (including renewal) of such vehicles would be possible after that date! Or is renewal treated in some other way?

BS-III, BS-IV are not considered during renewal. After 15 years, one can't simply expect the car to meet the current emission norms. I recently (November 2019) got the registration renewed for our 1999 Omni, which is BS I. There wasn't any issue regarding the BS norms. Only in NCR, cars older than 15 years (petrol) & 10 years (diesel) are banned.

Here is the link to my post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4690211 (15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF))
chiranjitp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 08:55   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason I'm asking is that the registration of my 2005 BS-III Baleno is also due for renewal next month, and a Maruti dealership officer (WB) told me that the registration couldn't be renewed!
Why are you approaching the dealership for renewal? There is a conflict of interest and they would rather prefer to sell you a new car
Guna is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 19:16   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
This is wrong. The Supreme Court ruling only applies to registrations of new vehicles. BS3, BS2 and cars adhering to even lower (or no) emission standards can have their ownerships transferred and registration renewed as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
BS-III, BS-IV are not considered during renewal. After 15 years, one can't simply expect the car to meet the current emission norms. I recently (November 2019) got the registration renewed for our 1999 Omni, which is BS I. There wasn't any issue regarding the BS norms. Only in NCR, cars older than 15 years (petrol) & 10 years (diesel) are banned.

Thanks guys, this reassures me. I was just misinformed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Why are you approaching the dealership for renewal? There is a conflict of interest and they would rather prefer to sell you a new car

Thanks. Yes, it does look that way. I get my service done there, and this guy has always been polite and friendly to me, and had informed me earlier that they did provide RC renewal service also to their customers. That's why I enquired, -- never suspecting they might have hidden motives! If anyone asks me for help, it never even occurs to me to look for ways to profit from it myself. I guess I'm far too naive and too trusting for my own good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
... Rs. 520 extra for HSRPs if your car doesn't have them already ...

Yes, I'd have to do that too. Do I need to get that done through RTO? And at which point, -- before inspection?

Another issue could be the change of address, -- I dread going to the RTO, and so have postponed address update until the RC renewal, -- by this time I've got my own permanent address too. I'm scared that I may have to pay a hefty fine now! I'd appreciate any tips in this regard too. Thanks.
meerkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 19:22   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason I'm asking is that the registration of my 2005 BS-III Baleno is also due for renewal next month, and a Maruti dealership officer (WB) told me that the registration couldn't be renewed!
Just for your information and assurance, I just did re-registration/FC of my 2004 Baleno 5 months back.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 16:50   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
After I gave my application on Jan 9th, until today I don't see any update on the parivahan site, when I check my application status. Do you think it will show any progress ? I am planning to go to RTO next week and check the status anyhow.
Last week, I visited the Jayanagar RTO to nudge the officials to process the NOC. He said it will be ready in a week's time. Parivahan site shows updates - COMPLETED / APPROVED ON 11-Mar-2020.

I am planning to go there and collect it tomorrow.
Old 11th April 2020, 11:32   #186
BHPian

Do you have insight into any insurance companies that provide comprehensive insurance for cars more than 15yrs old? Or is it a general rule that 15+ yrs old vehicles will get only Third Party insurance?
Old 11th April 2020, 11:57   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Do you have insight into any insurance companies that provide comprehensive insurance for cars more than 15yrs old? Or is it a general rule that 15+ yrs old vehicles will get only Third Party insurance?
Most companies provide comprehensive insurance for vehicles over 15 years of age. It of just that you may not get it online. My zen is 17+ and still under Maruti insurance comprehensive cover.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 10:00   #188
BHPian

Sharing my experience of renewing my 2005 Octavia yesterday at KA51 RTO.

First thing to note - anybody having any RTO work, this is the best time to do it. No crowd no agents even on a saturday. The officials there were glad that I brought in some work.

Steps:
1. Go to parivahan.gov.in , select Vehicle registration services, key in your car regn number.

2. Navigate and select Renewal of Registration.

3. There are optional items at the top of this page that you can select if you want, like address change, Name change etc. Nothing to fill up otherwise, except for payment options. I opted for offline payment as I was not sure if the applications are accepted or not in the office. Once can opt for online too. Both are hassle free. Selecting any will get you the filled up Form 25.

4. Gather the Form 25 printout, PUC and Insurance copies, Original RC card put in a transparent plastic packet, a self addressed postal envelope, a file cover to carry and submit all these.

5. Tip: Highlight/underline the insurance validity dates for the clerk to pick it up easily.

6. Tip 2: Write "RC Renewal" and your car regn number in big bold letters in file cover. It helps to easily locate your file and understand its purpose.

7. Tip 3: It does not matter if the address in RC card and your actual postal address is different. No one checks for it.

8. Go to room No. 5 who deals with non transport vehicles.

9. The clerk there will check if the application is in order and write down the amount to be paid (if not paid online already).

10. Pay the amount at cash counter.

11. Go back to same clerk at room no. 5, he will sign and ask you to go to basement for inspection.

12. The inspector in the basement told me to go outside the complex, near the shops, where another inspector is actually doing the inspections.

13. Inspector outside did the inspection, asking me to put on the headlights.

14. He mentioned about not having HSRP. He was standing near his own car about to leave after my inspection was complete. I saw his own car didn't have HSRP.

15. He signed on my form and left but before that asked his assistants to get the pencil imprint of my chassis number into my application form.

16. The assistants did the pencil imprint and asked me to go back to the inspector at the basement. Here he thoroughly checked all the papers and written down the important items in the form, like insurance validity, RC validity, PUC validity. Then gave his sign and seal.

17. Go to room no. 3 where the computer operator makes an entry for the application for Smart card.

18. Go back to a different clerk in room no. 5 who will accept the application and issue an acknowledgement.

19. That's it. You are done. Now I will wait for 15-20 days.

Thanks.

Last edited by fordday : 17th May 2020 at 10:01. Reason: Comprehension.
fordday is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 13:14   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Sharing my experience of renewing my 2005 Octavia yesterday at KA51 RTO.

Steps:
1. Go to parivahan.gov.in , select Vehicle registration services, key in your car regn number.

Thanks.
Hi Fordday,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad to know the process is simple.

I have to renew the registration for my 2006 March registered car by March-21 and I have a lot of queries regarding that.

1) Is there a road tax that has to be paid, other than requisite fees? is it calculated based on vehicle value? What was the deprecation applied on sticker price?

2) How many months before registration expiry could one renew registration?

3) What is the condition the vehicle should be in cosmetically?

My car has accumulated lot of minor dings and minor scratches all around over the years. Front bumper has few major scratches and broken clips replaced with screws. Also there is a lot of clear coat peel off on the OEM rear spoiler.
Will I have to get these taken care of? I am not too keen on giving her a full coat of paint. She is perfect mechanically and electrically.

I am the third owner of this car and RC transfer was done through an agent. My car's registration status is active in both Electronic city and KR Puram in Parivahan. My current residence is under Indiraragar RTO.
I guess I will have to get an NOC from both ECity RTO. Will I have to change to Indiranagar RTO now? What are the drawbacks if i do not do so?

Thanks.
Old 18th May 2020, 16:28   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
1) Is there a road tax that has to be paid, other than requisite fees? is it calculated based on vehicle value? What was the deprecation applied on sticker price?

2) How many months before registration expiry could one renew registration?

3) What is the condition the vehicle should be in cosmetically?

Will I have to get these taken care of? I am not too keen on giving her a full coat of paint. She is perfect mechanically and electrically.

. My car's registration status is active in both Electronic city and KR Puram in Parivahan. My current residence is under Indiraragar RTO.

Here are your answers -
I have paid a total of Rs 2312, breakup as below
1000 as road safety tax (this seems like a dubious way of extraction as we all paid up LTT at the beginning)
500 green tax
600 renewal charge
137 Smart card fee
74 smart card vendor operation fee (no idea what this is)

You can apply for renewal starting from 60 days prior to RC expiry date.

Vehicle condition was not checked in my case but heard from others that you need to take it clean and polished. At least it should look clean which is expected.

If you have your ECity status not removed, it may or may not allow to proceed. Just to be safe I will remove the Ecity entry, if I were you. For this you may need to visit the RTO.

Thanks.
fordday is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 22:43   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post

You can apply for renewal starting from 60 days prior to RC expiry date.

Hi, I want to ask if the registration is expired then in how many days can we get it renewed ?

My cars RC expired on 3rd May 2020.

Thanks.
Old 18th May 2020, 22:47   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Hi, I want to ask if the registration is expired then in how many days can we get it renewed ?

Thanks.
In 2018, I renewed registration of 'Alto' whose registration expired in 2016.
But, I had to pay hefty penalties for the same.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 22:52   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
In 2018, I renewed registration of 'Alto' whose registration expired in 2016.

But, I had to pay hefty penalties for the same.

What a coincidence, I also have to get my Alto's registration done. Due to Lockdown maybe there will be some relief. But I heard somewhere that monthly penalty of ₹300 is there. But I am not sure.
Old 18th May 2020, 22:52   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
As per MoRTH, all renewals falling in this lockdown period are extended to 30th June 2020.

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-screenshot_20200518225148_mparivahan.jpg

Even my 800's RC expired on 16th April.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 22:55   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
I am the third owner of this car and RC transfer was done through an agent. My car's registration status is active in both Electronic city and KR Puram in Parivahan. My current residence is under Indiraragar RTO.
I guess I will have to get an NOC from both ECity RTO. Will I have to change to Indiranagar RTO now? What are the drawbacks if i do not do so?
Thanks.
Minor scratches are fine, just make it look clean. If there is a sun film, peel it off. I had to do that right infront of the RTO when I went for re-regn.

Not sure what you mean bu active at two RTOs. You can go to the RTO where you got it transfered lastly. The new RC will be sent to the address that you put on the self addressed envelop or pick from the agent if you are going by agent. Agent fees around 5K (in case if you want to take that route, you can go directly as well as explained by fellow BHPian above)

Quote:
Thanks.
The more you delay it, the more you have to pay in terms of fine.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed