Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 00:29   #196
BHPian

Re: 15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

Slightly OT sin

I have a DL registered Karizma that will complete 15 years in Q3 2020. I brought it to KA a few months back because I want to keep it well and not let it rot or scrap it. Has 23K kms on the odo and still runs pretty well. I do not have the NOC right now from DL and was planning to get it once I was in Delhi last month to transfer it to KA. Now with this whole situation, I am not sure if I will be able to go to Delhi in time and get this done. If I do, then I will have one shot at max (I was keeping a few months buffer just in case the authorities dont like my paperwork in Round 1).

I also am having a hard time to get a chasis and engine number imprint. After some googling, it shows that I should use the backside of the pencil to do it, but that's still harder that I would like considering the fairing. Any other way to do this?

Any advice?
Old 19th May 2020, 07:49   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post

Steps:
1. Go to parivahan.gov.in , select Vehicle registration services, key in your car regn number.

2. Navigate and select Renewal of Registration.

3. There are optional items at the top of this page that you can select if you want, like address change, Name change etc. Nothing to fill up otherwise, except for payment options. I opted for offline payment as I was not sure if the applications are accepted or not in the office. Once can opt for online too. Both are hassle free. Selecting any will get you the filled up Form 25.
Thanks for sharing the steps. My father's 2005 Swift is due for renewal next month and I reached up to step 3 successfully. Since I did this last night and had no access to a printer, I left the page open thinking I can pull up the details this morning even if it times out and take a print out.
Unfortunately, this was what it showed when I tried now;
"You have Already Applied for ,Renewal of Registration and Application No KA2005xxxxxxxx is ,Pending at BENGALURU EAST RTO,Please contact to BENGALURU EAST RTO Office."

I tried other options, but they all come back to this note. Is there no way I can get that form again unless I go to the RTO? And if I go to the RTO, will they accept the application since there is one already created?

Last edited by tharian : 19th May 2020 at 07:52.
Old 19th May 2020, 09:00   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is there no way I can get that form again unless I go to the RTO? And if I go to the RTO, will they accept the application since there is one already created?
I think there must be a way to go to the application form and print it again. If nothing else go to the agents near to RTO office they should be able to help getting a printout.
You cannot put in and RTO cannot process another application for the same service until existing one is cancelled. I faced it before in KA03 RTO for NOC.

Thanks.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 11:21   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Here are your answers -
I have paid a total of Rs 2312, breakup as below

You can apply for renewal starting from 60 days prior to RC expiry date.

Just to be safe I will remove the Ecity entry, if I were you. For this you may need to visit the RTO. I am not able to get any services from parivahan.in due to ECity entry.
Thanks again Fordday.

My Car is a 2006 Esteem. I was slightly worried about the re-registration tax bit given the cars low residual value. But 2.3K is reasonable.
I will have to visit KA-51 RTO to transfer the entry to KA-53 where my RC (old)address. If its not much hassle, I will transfer again to KA-03 which is my new permanent address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Minor scratches are fine, just make it look clean. If there is a sun film, peel it off.

Not sure what you mean by active at two RTOs. You can go to the RTO where you got it transferred lastly.
Thanks Balenoed.

I will have to get the front bumper replaced.
OT: I am at peace driving a car wearing battle scars. New bumpers/mirrors make me nervous in Bangalore traffic. Getting that first scratch is painful. Especially if its not of your fault.

I have a very light green sun film. Barely noticeable and I wont mind if i have to peel them off.

I am not sure how it happened, but my car has entries in 3 RTOs, with 2 active ones. Attaching a picture of how it looks from the data I pulled from parivahan. I am the third owner of this car.
Attached Thumbnails
15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-rto.bmp.png  

Old 19th May 2020, 12:40   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
I am not sure how it happened, but my car has entries in 3 RTOs, with 2 active ones. Attaching a picture of how it looks from the data I pulled from parivahan.
If you have used agent services for ownership transfer this could be the reason. It happened with my wife's scooty. These agents bypass the legal procedure of getting NOC from previous RTO before getting it registered in the new RTO of the buyer. So you have active status in both the RTOs.

In my car transfer ownership change, I got NOC from KA03 and afterwards applied to KA51. In that intervening period, parivahan site clearly showed NOC has been given from 03 to 51 and no active registration exists for my car in any RTO.

Hope it helps.
Old 19th May 2020, 12:47   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Slightly OT sin

I do not have the NOC right now from DL and was planning to get it once I was in Delhi last month to transfer it to KA.

I also am having a hard time to get a chasis and engine number imprint.

Any advice?
For NOC, you need to fill the form online in parivahan site and submit the documents. If you have someone in DL to submit, the courier the required documents to him.

Engine / chassis number imprint is NOT needed to get NOC.
Old 19th May 2020, 13:55   #202
BHPian

Hello,

Interesting read,

We have a Chandigarh registered 2004 Honda City Petrol, around 3 years back, somehow my dad managed to loose the RC, and at the time i was abroad and he had no idea/time to figure out how to get a duplicate one as he had another car for his daily ride, so the car just sat in a corner at my dad's office for all this while.

Just recently, we brought it out, to give to my cousin to learn driving on it, we changed the battery and essential oils, and it still drives pretty well.

However now the question is, since it's already at 16 years and lacks an RC as well as insurance of any sort, I am supposing it cant be driven anywhere else other than our driveway, so what would be our options as per you all ? I read somewhere that we can get a duplicate RC by filing an FIR etc, but I'm guessing we won't be eligible for that since the 15 years have already expired for her, so her original RC would be redundant. Any information would be highly appreciated, because my dad is on the verge of having her scrapped, but I really wouldn't mind performing a full restoration at this point.

Many Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-screenshot_20200519135432_gallery.jpg  

Old 19th May 2020, 14:06   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
somehow my dad managed to loose the RC,

since it's already at 16 years and lacks an RC as well as insurance of any sort,

I read somewhere that we can get a duplicate RC by filing an FIR etc, but I'm guessing we won't be eligible for that since the 15 years have already expired for her, so her original RC would be redundant.
My guess is you will need to apply for renewal of RC. You may have to submit the police acknowledgement instead of the old RC, along with the application.

But first check with the RTO clerk. They should be able to guide you.
Old 19th May 2020, 23:58   #204
BHPian

Quote:
For NOC, you need to fill the form online in parivahan site and submit the documents. If you have someone in DL to submit, the courier the required documents to him.

Engine / chassis number imprint is NOT needed to get NOC.
Thanks. My worry is the parivahan website doesnt say that explicitly. Next to the impring requirement they just say "Documents marked with asterisk (*) may be required in some states."

Why cant the parivahan website be clear about this?
Old 20th May 2020, 21:05   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Hello,

However now the question is, since it's already at 16 years and lacks an RC as well as insurance of any sort, I am supposing it cant be driven anywhere else other than our driveway, so what would be our options as per you all ? I read somewhere that we can get a duplicate RC by filing an FIR etc, but I'm guessing we won't be eligible for that since the 15 years have already expired for her, so her original RC would be redundant. Any information would be highly appreciated, because my dad is on the verge of having her scrapped, but I really wouldn't mind performing a full restoration at this point.

Many Thanks
Answering your questions pointwise:-

(1) Immediately lodge a FIR stating that the RC book (you will have to state the car make, model, engine number, chassis number and RTO office city/town where it is registered ) has been lost. Obtain an acknowledgement with the FIR number from the concerned police station on the duplicate copy (original must be preserved safely). FIR has to be signed by the owner himself.

(2) Please get the duplicate RC application form, from your local RTO. Make enquiries if there is no such form as to whether a plain paper application will suffice. If there's no prescribed form please submit an application stating details of the car, registration number, engine and chassis numbers, date of first registration and the FIR date , police station name and FIR number. Enclose a self attested copy of the FIR with your application. The requisite fees will have to be paid.

(3) Upon receipt of the duplicate RC card (most states issue smart cards) please pay the insurance (insist only on third party premium and not comprehensive) and collect the policy.

(4) Upon receipt of the duplicate RC card (most states issue smart cards), please fill up the form for the mandatory fitness test. A valid PUC certificate is mandatory. Also please pay Green Tax if applicable in your state. Since your fitness date is delayed, a fine is to be paid on a monthly basis for the delayed period. The fine is nominal and not astronomical as the Babus of the Transport Ministry had listed out in December 2016 to screw our pockets, that was quashed, thanks to the Madras High Court judgement of April 2017.

(4) Produce your car for the fitness test. This is mostly done and is hassle free (hopefully your local RTO is hasssle free) , if the car is in good running condition with good brake lights, hand brake, good tyres, wipers, paintwork, visible engine and chassis numbers.

(5) Fitness is to be done only at the RTO where the car is registered.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th May 2020 at 21:12.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 08:19   #206
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting from - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-rusted-3.html (Chassis number / VIN has gotten completely rusted)

I will be anyway going one these days to the RTO,but any idea on the post would be great.
Old 24th May 2020, 15:33   #207
BHPian

My Honda 2006 EXI model registration does not show up on the Parivahan.gov.in website.

I am informed - Alert! Registration Number is not available in Vahan4 database, Please contact the concern RTO.

Can someone please share some idea about the same. I still have a year in hand and am looking at extending the usage of the car as much as possible.

OT - just noticed today that a few areas in boot bottom below the carpet have rusted and actually created a gaping hole.

Is there any competent (reliable) garage in Mumbai (vouced by fellow Bhpians) to look at a complete (nice and shiny) painting and denting. That should also help in adding up the miles and usability. It still drives well, but the sheet metal quality is abysmal to say the least!
Old 26th May 2020, 14:44   #208
Senior - BHPian

FC renewal for my father's Swift 2005 KA 03 RTO.

I had the option to go through an agent and pay double, almost triple the actual fees or do it myself. After reading the steps in the previous few posts, I decided to do it myself thinking the process would have been streamlined compared to few years back when I did it myself for my bikes.

I could get through the first step of getting the Form 25 downloaded with the details and opted for payment at the RTO.
I came a day before and enquired with an agent about the partially rusted chassis number and some other dents and scratches on the car. The moment he mentioned they will add an amount as fine for the dents and scratches, I decided to go myself. Came this morning around 1030 and submitted all the forms and paid the fees and waited for the next important part, that of vehicle inspection.
I waited an amazing two hours in the sun for the royal inspector to show up. Thankfully he approved the renewal although he looked and noticed all the scratches and dents. The chassis number was partially rusted, but thankfully the unique number was legible and that was okay.

Now the fun part of doing things alone if you are not aware of the exact steps or even if you are, you will be asked to do musical chairs.
Once I got a sign off from the inspector, as per my enquiry, I was supposed to submit all the papers in a file at the same counter I first went to in the morning. On a positive side, because of the Covid situation, there was just one counter set up on the ground floor without letting anyone inside. This meant there was a Q!
After inspection, I thought the last step was to submit the file at that counter, but then the same lady who I enquired first about that, now says I have to get a seal from the inspector. So off to the inspector on the road still inspecting on the next lane and he says, there is a page missing to put the seal on. That page had just had dotted lines since when printing them out, they ended up on the next page and I didn't bother pinning it. Mistake. Never realized the RTO would take that so seriously.
I headed back to my car and pinned that paper and went back to the counter and asked a chap who was standing earlier, about the seal.
The seal is from another officer sitting behind the building, deep inside a parking lot. God knows why., I am guessing to make the game more difficult for people doing it alone. Got that seal and then he says, I have to get the signature on that seal from that same inspector on the road. Walked back to the next lane again and to realize he is back in the RTO building for lunch. Went back to the building and they send me back to the guy hiding in the parking lot who says my work is done and that he cannot do others work. Now it made sense why he was sitting alone deep in the parking lot.

I then head back to the entrance and tell them I got delayed because of the running around to start off with. I lost my cool by then and found another inspector who was coming after inspection who I overheard speaking English. Although I can manage Kannada, I knew I couldn't vent out. Finally managed to tell him how I got delayed and that all I needed was a signature. He was good enough to let me in and get the signature from the royal inspector who along with others in uniform were relaxing and watching a movie on the desktop in one of the rooms.

As I write this, I am yet to submit the file as the lady who first gave me all the run about sent me to a counter knowing there is no one at that counter and I am hoping someone will appear from the thin air.

Last edited by tharian : 26th May 2020 at 14:49.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 16:03   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
My Honda 2006 EXI model registration does not show up on the Parivahan.gov.in website.

Can someone please share some idea about the same. I still have a year in hand and am looking at extending the usage of the car as much as possible.
Since your car is from 2006, I assume it has the old type RC & not the smart card RC. Hence the details aren't showing online i.e on Parivahan site. After you do the re-registration next year, they will give you a new RC, this time a smart card RC, after that all the details will be available online.

P.S- Exception to this rule is when an old car is with the second/third owner, then during ownership transfer a new RC will be issued. The new RC issued will be smart card type, hence all the details will be available online.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 26th May 2020 at 16:04.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 23:04   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Since I did this last night and had no access to a printer, I left the page open thinking I can pull up the details this morning even if it times out and take a print out.
I can give you a tip to keep in mind for the future, in case you didn't already know this.

When you come across some document or form in your browser that you need printed, or backed up, you can use the print command and then save the file as a pdf.

After you give the print command, there is a drop down titled "destination"

By default, it stays on the last used option. So if you take a print, it will default to the name of your printer.

If you click that, you get a drop down menu, with an option to save the page as a pdf. Just use this.

Then, when you have access to a printer later, you can use that pdf to get what you need.

Last edited by Balthazar : 26th May 2020 at 23:07.
Balthazar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks