Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 20:29   #241
BHPian

Re: 15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Actually there is no tax amount because we all paid LTT.
LTT(Life Time Tax) does not mean entire life time. LTT means tax for 15 years. When renewing, you have to pay the road tax again since the LTT was the tax only for 15 years. In Kerala, when you renew a car older than 15 years, you have to pay the tax for next 5 years - which means you have to repeat this exercise every 5 years. I believe that is the same case with everywhere in India except Delhi.

P.S:- Registration fees and tax are separate.
Old 24th November 2020, 20:43   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
LTT(Life Time Tax) does not mean entire life time. LTT means tax for 15 years. When renewing, you have to pay the road tax again since the LTT was the tax only for 15 years. In Kerala, when you renew a car older than 15 years, you have to pay the tax for next 5 years - which means you have to repeat this exercise every 5 years. I believe that is the same case with everywhere in India except Delhi.
Atleast in Assam, LTT (Life time tax) means entire life time. Our 99 Omni has gone through 2 renewals (last one was done in November 2019), no road tax was paid. The renewal cost was under 1k, which included the cost of a new RC (Registration Card). I am sure Assam is not the only state to have such a policy, many other states would have a similar system.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:25   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Atleast in Assam, LTT (Life time tax) means entire life time. Our 99 Omni has gone through 2 renewals (last one was done in November 2019), no road tax was paid. The renewal cost was under 1k, which included the cost of a new RC (Registration Card). I am sure Assam is not the only state to have such a policy, many other states would have a similar system.
Wow. That is news for me. Thank you! I have to google this. However, in KL, it is for 15 years only. I have renewed 3 of my old cars and had to pay the road tax for 5 years. I guess for majority of the states in India, it is 15 years.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 24th November 2020 at 21:29.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:07   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have renewed 3 of my old cars and had to pay the road tax for 5 years.
Was it explicitly mentioned in receipt or somewhere that it is "Road Tax" that you are paying for when you do FC?

There is a green tax of Rs.1000/- that they charge while you do FC. Guess you are not talking about that.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:08   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Was it explicitly mentioned in receipt or somewhere that it is "Road Tax" that you are paying for when you do FC?
Yes, very clearly. You get a tax receipt, green tax receipt and another receipt for the re-registration fees.

I see you have a KL car, so if you check your RC, you will that there is a validity period mentioned for the LTT you paid.

Here is the screenshot, from Kerala MVD's website, of the details of our 2019 Tiago that shows the validity of the tax.

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-tiagotax.jpg

And here is the screenshot from, Kerala MVD, of the tax paid for our 1996 Mercedes when we re-registered it in 2019. Regardless of the make of the car and original purchase price, the road tax amount will be fixed for all the cars older than 15 years. We had joked about how we had to pay the same amount of tax for our '99 Fiat Uno and '96 Mercedes while renewing them in 2018 and 2019 respectively.

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)-w124tax.jpg

When renewing the registration of cars older than 15 years, there will be (at least in KL):

1) Registration fees.
2) 5-years road tax.
3) Green tax.

It is a breeze to get it done if the car is in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
There is a green tax of Rs.1000/- that they charge while you do FC. Guess you are not talking about that.
Green tax, if I recall correctly, was an amount less than Rs.500/-. I had paid it for our 96 Merc, 96 Padmini and 2002 Honda City . Not sure whether they increased it after May 2019.

You can also read about LTT in the official website of Kerala MVD.

P.S:- Please note the difference in the dates when registration ends and tax validity ends. That is how it is. If you do not renew before registration date, you pay a fine of less than Rs.2000 (does not matter how days/months/years late you are), but if you do not pay your road tax in time, the road tax fine grow up to a huge amount depending on how many months late you are.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 24th November 2020 at 23:26.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:32   #246
BHPian

Quote:
LTT(Life Time Tax) does not mean entire life time. LTT means tax for 15 years. When renewing, you have to pay the road tax again since the LTT was the tax only for 15 years.

P.S:- Registration fees and tax are separate.
You are right Registration fees and tax are separate but we need to pay the registration part only for renewal.

Below I am quoting my earlier post #190 about what I paid for renewal of my registration after 15 years expiry. As you can see there is no component of road tax (road safety tax is different from road tax and was introduced in 2017 in Karnataka news link).

The main component (not in terms of amount) was the registration renewal charge, which is what we need to pay because our registration is valid for 15 years. The road tax component is lifetime.

Registration renewal is valid for five years.

Quote:
I have paid a total of Rs 2312, breakup as below
1000 as road safety tax (this seems like a dubious way of extraction as we all paid up LTT at the beginning)
500 green tax
600 renewal charge
137 Smart card fee
74 smart card vendor operation fee (no idea what this is)
fordday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:44   #247
BHPian

Quote:
You are right Registration fees and tax are separate but we need to pay the registration part only for renewal.

Below I am quoting my earlier post #190 about what I paid for renewal of my registration after 15 years expiry. As you can see there is no component of road tax (road safety tax is different from road tax and was introduced in 2017 in Karnataka news link).
You are right. I am right too (Please check the screenshots in my previous post).

I dug up my old car's RC smart car (which was KA-03-MB-xxxx registered - I was in Bangalore for a few years) and in that it says Tax upto : LTT, so it looks like in Karnataka too LTT means entire life of the car. This is a new knowledge for me. Thank you guys. But, in KL, as you can see in the screenshot and in any KL car's RC, there will be validity date upto which the tax is paid for. So in KL, the LTT is actually for 15 years and you have to pay 5 years road tax, in addition to the registration fees and green tax, every time you renew the car's fitness. Please refer to the screenshots in my previous post and the URL of the Kerala MVD's official website.

I checked a friends MH car, and I see there is no validity mentioned for LTT for that car too. May be that is why MH and KA has a higher road tax than Kerala?

RTO rules are different from state-to-state in India

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 24th November 2020 at 23:56.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 12:59   #248
BHPian

Does Hypothecation needs to be removed for RC Renewal/Fitness?
My bikes RC is expiring on Dec 8, I haven't removed the Hypothecation yet. I do have the old expired NOC from the bank.
Old 28th November 2020, 15:49   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Does Hypothecation needs to be removed for RC Renewal/Fitness?
Dont think so as i have not removed it but had renewed the noc five years back. Need to do it again now before dec 31st.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 20:00   #250
BHPian

My friend has a unique situation. His 15 years old Unicorn was due for FC this year February. His bike has KA registration and he has been living in KL for more than 5 years. So naturally, he obtained an NOC from KA and was ready for the paper work in KL - to transfer the address and to get the new registration in KL. Unfortunately he had an accident and the motorcycle is beyond repair. He is planning to scrap the motorcycle.

Now, what should he do to scrap the vehicle?
Does he have to approach RTO in KA for this?
Does he need a certificate (Non-migration certificate) from KL to prove it has not been registered there?
Old 6th December 2020, 12:12   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thanks for sharing the steps. My father's 2005 Swift is due for renewal next month and I reached up to step 3 successfully. Since I did this last night and had no access to a printer, I left the page open thinking I can pull up the details this morning even if it times out and take a print out.
Unfortunately, this was what it showed when I tried now;
"You have Already Applied for ,Renewal of Registration and Application No KA2005xxxxxxxx is ,Pending at BENGALURU EAST RTO,Please contact to BENGALURU EAST RTO Office."

I tried other options, but they all come back to this note. Is there no way I can get that form again unless I go to the RTO? And if I go to the RTO, will they accept the application since there is one already created?

The easiest way to get this printed is:

1) Go to this site: https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...homepage.xhtml

2) Select Status > Reprint Receipt or Form > Print prefilled form Or Receipt.

This will take you to a page where you have to enter the Application number. Enter the number and it will show you the option to print Form 25.

I have a question about taking the car to the RTO. Do we need to take an appointment for this? Or just go on a fine morning and be ready with the car and all the paper work?
Old 6th December 2020, 14:21   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post

I have a question about taking the car to the RTO. Do we need to take an appointment for this? Or just go on a fine morning and be ready with the car and all the paper work?
Just go one day morning with all papers. The earlier you go the better since there is line for the cars to be parked as and when they arrive,for the inspection. Although inspection takes less than a minute, more time is wasted for the inspectors to come to the spot.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 17:45   #253
BHPian

Hey guys,
I'm going to the Kasturi Nagar RTO on Wednesday to get my Santro FC done. Would appreciate it if you could give me some pointers on what to get done before and what to watch out for.
Thank you
Old 6th December 2020, 20:38   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Hey guys,
I'm going to the Kasturi Nagar RTO on Wednesday to get my Santro FC done. Would appreciate it if you could give me some pointers on what to get done before and what to watch out for.
Thank you
Refer post 165 on page 11 of this thread. A detailed step by step process is provided. There are few posts after that too, including mine regarding the experience of getting the FC done without an agent.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:28   #255
BHPian

I got the FC done for my qualis for the second time with expiry in Dec 2025. The paper RC was converted to smart card now. Question i have is it says on the smart card tax paid till 2015. Any idea if i need to pay road tax separately?

Last edited by diyguy : 30th December 2020 at 10:30.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks