Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 07:52   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Cadillac may be famous and popular in America, but everywhere else in the world it is considered just another useless American brand. Except for Chevrolet, Ford, GM and a couple of other companies, I can't think of any American car manufacturers that are actually popular anywhere else in the world. Chrysler and Cadillac especially are considered the epitome of all that is American- unreliable, expensive, low fuel economy and bad for the environment!

The"American Car' factor actually works against it!
Here's where you are wrong

Except for Chevrolet, Ford, GM and a couple of other companies - There are no couple other companies. There is just three. Ford, GM and Chrysler. Every other (mainstream american)brand belongs to them. And yes, Chevrolet is a division/brand of GM

Chrysler and Cadillac especially are considered the epitome of all that is American- unreliable, expensive, low fuel economy and bad for the environment!
- There is no comparing Chrysler and Cadillac. Cadillac actually is lot better than chrysler ever was and is one of the better marquees of American manufacturing. I might be exaggerating, but it is probably the best American mainstream Luxury Brand owned by GM. Yes! GM owns Cadillac. In fact, during the last few years Chevrolet, is a brand that is going down in USA, and Cadillac is infact doing good.

The"American Car' factor actually works against it! - Ahem.. As I mentioned, it works pretty well in America.

Bro, I don't know what you have against cadillac. But actually it is not a bad car. It may or may not do well in india, but Cadillac is GM's luxury offering. And CTS and Escalade are the two better selling models. If they want to capture the premium market they need to bring in Cadillac. And as I mentioned, if they introduce OnStar along with it, it might work justifying the price point.
Old 27th January 2009, 08:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Dude, the Escalade will barely fit on our roads.

That said, the CTS with the V version available on special order (not unlike the BMW M series here) will be quite the news for me.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

[quote=ImmortalZ;1145958]Dude, the Escalade will barely fit on our roads.

If the HUmmer H2 can fit the road then why cant the Escalade?
Old 27th January 2009, 13:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Cadillac is well known in India

Visit any classic & vintage car show in India and you will see them. So the older lot (read - the ones with money) have probably grown up with / in one!

Some motoring pundits said much the same things when the Rolls and Bentleys were about to be launched in India - too expensive, too bulky, no FE etc. only to see them being sold in reasonable numbers.

This car is aimed at the guys who loll about in the back seat sipping their champers while being driven about by a lackey .....something like what the bosses of the big three did when they drove down to Washington - hat in hand - for the second time (after that disastrous exchange about their private jets). For this lot, what matters is space and not having their drink spill onto their bespoke suits, the Caddies do this very well.
Old 29th January 2009, 06:55   #50
BHPian

CTS wagon

While we are talking about CTS being introduced in india, GM is prepping to launch CTS Wagon in US

OT: How I wish TATA indicruz had a semblance of either this appearance or build quality
Attached Thumbnails
Cadillac - can they make it in India?-2010_cadillac_cts_sport_wagon.jpg  

Old 29th January 2009, 10:39   #51
BHPian

One thing which GM should introduce in India, with or without Cadillac, is OnStar.

Otherwise, the Cadillac would be a good choice in India. Along with Lexus and Acura as well. But where are those brands now?
Old 12th February 2011, 17:28   #52
BHPian

GM to launch Cadillac in India in a couple of years

Riding high on the Indian success story of its Chevrolet brand, multi-national auto major General Motors is looking at launching its premium and iconic Cadillac in the country soon, a top company official said.

The Indian arm of the American auto giant General Motors currently sells eight sub-brands under Chevrolet, Spark, Aveo UVA, Aveo, Optra, Tavera, Captiva, Cruze and the latest, the compact car Beat.

"Our Chevrolet brand is doing extremely well as every 8 seconds somebody buys our cars. This is a good indicator and India is a growing market with the demand for luxury cars growing...we are looking at introducing our premium brand, Cadillac over the next couple of years," GM India's President and Managing Director, Karl Slym , told PTI on the sidelines of the launch of the LPG version of Beat here today.

Source: Economic times

For the rest of the article please follow the following link:
GM India to launch iconic Cadillac in next two-years: Karl Slym - The Economic Times
Old 12th February 2011, 17:33   #53
BHPian

Re: GM to launch Cadillac in India in a couple of years

Good for GM to bring more from their portfolio to India. Looking forward for the launch of the new Aveo as well which has got the best of Beat & Cruze in a lesser price.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 12th February 2011 at 17:35.
Old 12th February 2011, 18:00   #54
BHPian

Its a good sign that GM is seeing light in India. We would get a taste of the American Regalia - after having seen European marque !
Old 12th February 2011, 18:27   #55
BHPian

I don't understand how they calculated this number?
Quote:
"Our Chevrolet brand is doing extremely well as every 8 seconds somebody buys our cars. This is a good indicator and India is a growing market with the demand for luxury cars growing...we are looking at introducing our premium brand, Cadillac over the next couple of years," GM India's President and Managing Director, Karl Slym , told PTI on the sidelines of the launch of the LPG version of Beat here today.
Old 12th February 2011, 19:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

I think it may be on a Global Basis.

Back to topic, I think the CTS with V6 diesel would make for a really nice car. But overall they need more diesels in order to do well in India.
Old 12th February 2011, 19:30   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think it may be on a Global Basis.

Back to topic, I think the CTS with V6 diesel would make for a really nice car. But overall they need more diesels in order to do well in India.
Also they need to price their cars with the germans rather than jaguar. A cts with diesel v6 around 42-44l will sell like hot cakes. But if they price it along the lines of jag. I dont see it doing that good. Plus the german brands are growing. So they have a good resale value. If cadi wants the same they will have to price them with those Nazi symbols.
Old 12th February 2011, 22:34   #58
BHPian

I thought they will be getting the Buick brand to India before Cadillac. Buick is such a successful brand in China and with SAIC now partner in Indian operations, this seemed to be the next step.

But, didn't Cadillac had a sales failure due to non-availability of diesel engines in the CTS range in Europe or maybe non-availability of smaller diesel engines? The BLS model with diesel was also a sales flop... wonder what their plan for Indian market is... maybe the new sub CTS model being developed is a good fit for our market.

But CTS-V is one hell of a machine...
Old 13th February 2011, 08:33   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

The model with the most potential would be the in-development ATS model.The compact exec with diesel heart would take many a sales from BMW 3-er with it's bold brash styling that Indians would love.
Of course the rest of the model line-up will suffer due to the lack of diesel powerplants. But Cadillac will be in for a kill if they some how shove a diesel heart from their commercial division into the Cadillac Escalade. Then they will be so busy with India that they will have diesel power plants for every of their models.
Old 4th August 2011, 15:39   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cadillac - can they make it in India?

" Even after getting a strong feedback from market for luxury brand Cadillac, GM India has shelved plans to launch it in the Indian market, a company official said.
We want to focus on Chevrolet at the moment for which GM India had invested a fortune on building infrastructure like plants, Slym told reporters here at the launch of the diesel version of the small car Beat"

General Motors India shelves plan to launch Cadillac - The Economic Times

Cheers!

Most Viewed