Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2004, 14:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

This is my list of 16 most wanted and awaited cars with some pics (In Alphabetical order)

1. Alfa Romeo

* * *Alfa 156

* Alfa GT

* **For: Super sexy looks, crafted with passion, a hoot to drive and the latest JTD engines give driving pleasure with great economy.
Against : Fiat's incorrigle dealers and below average (but improving) after sales service. Maybe they can open separate dealerships to distinguish Alfa from Fiat in India. Pathetic marketing also needs to be improved or Fiat will again murder a fantastic product like they did with the Siena,Palio etc.

2. BMW 3/5/7/X3/X5
* *For: Superb build quality and style, typical German looks, great petrol engines with BMW's VANOS tech. and some brilliant diesels too. Superb ride and specially handling. BMW has everything to make it a success in India.
* *Against: For Indians saying I own a Mercedes sounds better than saying I own a BMW. Merc is the ulitimate status symbol here and that will be BMW's biggest hurdle.

3. Fiat Panda

* *For: European car of the year 2004, Fiat sold about 1.3 lakh units within 3 months of launch! Panda singlehandedly pulled Fiat out of extinction and it has the ability to do the same for Fiat India. Good looks for a tall boy, innovative & flexible interiors and Fiat will power it with it's patented 1.3 ltr JTD - can't wait for the most hi-tech diesel in the world to come to Indai!
*Against: Fiat's incorrigble Dealers and below average (but improving slowly) After sales service.

Fiat Idea.

*For: A mini-MPV based on the Panda platform. Since it's dimensionally small Fiat can price it around 6-7.5 lakhs- the ideal price point at which MPV's can sell in India. Innovative looks, flexible seating, JTD engines - fiat has a winner in it's hands.
Against: Indians haven't warmed upto MPV's yet and Fiat will have to market the car REALLY well. Also, same reasons as Panda.

*5. Fiat Multipla.

For: The first MPV to come out with a 3+3 seating arrangement. I thought fiat had decided not to bring in this car but BSM's report of a Multipla in fiat's plant means that the italian maker is sitll serious about this car. Big MPV can be priced around 7.5-9 lakhs. Palio''s 1.6ltr and the bigger 1.9JTD can power this car. Flexi seating and good luggage carrying ability - another winner in fiats arsenal.
Against: Usual Fiat problems. Also it's plain looks. How do u convince ppl to buy a italian car that looks like any Japanese or Korean car?

*6. Ford Focus:
* * For: Sadly, Indian's aren't aware of the focus legacy and brand and ford will have spends a few millions just to make Indians aware of this. IF ford luanch the concept focus then half the battle is won for them. Great ride and rally bred handling with a range of engines. MAybe mondeo's engines can be detuned to power the car here?
*Against: Brand image. European and American carmakers just don't have the respect Japanese ones have here. Ppl will willingly pay rs. 12 lakhs for a corolla but will think 10 times before paying 10 for a european and american car. Also they need to improve service.

7. Ford Fusion.

*For: Only car that will take on the getz - XL sized hatch - can we call it the B++ segment? Ikon's 1.3 & 1.6 will power this car and maybe a diesel too. BUt ford have to bring in the crdi or hyundai will make life miserable for it with it's "hyundai special" adverts in news papers!

AGainst: Pricing. Looking at it's size I don't know how ford will price it under the ikon 1.3 but thats something which has to be done or else Indians will simply buy the ikon 1.3- after all it's a big car (dikki wali gaadi hai)

8. Honda FR-V

**For: the Honda brand name. With the kind of awe and respect honda has here, it's THE car maker to introduce Indians to the MPV segment. the presence of a diesel should also help honda. Another car, that, like the multipla uses the 3+3 seating arrangement.
Against: price. EVen though it's a honda who will pay 12/13 lacs for a "Van"?? Indians will put in another 3/4.5 lacs and buy the Accord instead cuz it's a status Sedan for us. Even at 8 lacs the FR-V will have to work hard cuz ppl will buy the civic sedan instead

*9. Honda CIvic.
* *For: this is one car that can give the corolla a run for it's money. IT seems to have everything going for it. Qs is what engine will power it? will honda give us the 1.7 VTEC?

Against: Can't think of anything!

10. Maruti Suzuki Liana:
* * For: Expected to be powered by the Esteem's 1.3 and hopefully Baleno's 1.6 engines. Supposed to be the Esteem replacement - why did mul launch the new Esteem then? They need to get it in here fast as it does away with the Esteem's cons of poor comfort and flimsy build. Liana sells in Europe so hopefully it should have better build.

* against: No diesel till 2006.

11. Opel Zafira:
* * For: Super selling MPV in europe. Opel had plans to get it here few years back but they can do now the FR-V and Muiltipla expected soon. The Optra's 1.6 and 1.8 can power it to save costs and maybe Vectra's 2.2 petrol with ABS, Air bags, leather interiors to give it more bang.
* AGainst: GM failed to establish Opel the way they wanted to. But then they can always brand it a chevrolet!

12. Skoda Fabia:
* * For: Skoda's turned into a respected brand name here and thats half the battle won already for them! the diesel is most awaited thanks to it's claims of being super efficient.
AGainst: numbers of dealers and after sales service.

13. Skoda Octivia (New)
* For: Better looks , more rear space and pump duse tech. engines. Octy already sells well here and the new octy with pump duse can make elantra squirm in Hyundai showrooms.
*Against: autocar says it will sell as L&K alongwith the current octy. Pricing then will be around 14 lacs?

14. Skoda Octivia Blitz
* For: Skoda plans to blitz corolla and civic with it's 1.8 Turbo with 150 hp! with superb ride and handling the corolla and civic should get a few jitters.
*Pricing: It doesn't have the toyota/honda badge and dealerships are another weak link.

15. Toyota qualis (NEw)
* For. More MPV looking with modern interiors , Toyota plans to take the fight right into chevrolet and M&M showrooms!
* AGainst: I am still thinking!
P.S. Had more pics but couldn't post more than the limit.

Old 15th August 2004, 16:39   #2
BHPian

Very well written article but there was just one thing :
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Against: Brand image. European and American carmakers just don't have the respect Japanese ones have here. Ppl will willingly pay rs. 12 lakhs for a corolla but will think 10 times before paying 10 for a european and american car. Also they need to improve service.
There is a VERY good reason for this. Firstly, American cars are not at all fuel efficient, not reliable like the Toyotas and Hondas. They aren't as easy to maintain either and in the market where people are looking for cost saving measures these are very important factors.
Old 15th August 2004, 21:14   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt Fiat will launch a new model atleast for a year or 2. They need to sort out thier After Sales and Dealer problems first before gettin a new model.

The BMW 3/5/6/7 are already available thru Navnit Motors. Seen an ad in Times Drive or Brand Equity i guess on Friday.
Old 15th August 2004, 21:40   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Incredibly well put Amit. But I would like to add the Hyundai Getz to that list. Its one car I am really really looking forward to...and only in CRDi power.

GTO
Old 15th August 2004, 21:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'm really waiting for the Alfa Romeos. Imagine standing next to an incredibly beautiful Alfa GT at a signal. What would be great to see is how is FIAT going to deal with the not so reliable Alfas, considering the sort of Service structure they currently have in place. But, Oh Lord, would you please buy me an Alfa GT with JTD.
Old 16th August 2004, 09:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I doubt Fiat will launch a new model atleast for a year or 2. They need to sort out thier After Sales and Dealer problems first before gettin a new model.
hey V12 i agree with u totally on that. Luckiily for us even fiat agrees with us! they have already said that the next model will be the panda, provided turin gives the green signal, and the panda will be out in 2005. This year will be the year of improving customer relations, after sales service, adding a few more dealers and improving marketing.
Sounds good to me. hopefully they will do a good job this time cuz i really don't want them to murder a product like the Alfa Romeo here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Oh Lord, would you please buy me an Alfa GT with JTD.
I am with u on that one!
Old 17th August 2004, 16:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

how many version of the oct are there? the present ambi/elegance and now rider, the tdi auto and blitz that are expected any day and a NEW octy? confused.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks