Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Rudra Sir, keep the car.

How about a Esteem engine? Will it fit in the 800?

The 1st gen 800 was the best looking 800 of all times, and quality is much much better.

Incase you sell it which car are you planing to buy?
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

My friend call me nuts for putting money on Alloys, C.Filters & exhaust. I know it gives me some pleasure which I value more than the money spent on it.

My personal opinion of spending in lakhs for restoration of a old maruti 800 is waste of money and energy.

But one's passion towards cars differ from other. Its ur take
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

@ Zappo , @ samKapasi
Have put up the right thoughts. Go for a new car. Your car will deifntely fetch around 40K. Your are almost ready to spend around 1.5L more on the car. A new 800 would cost you around 2.3L
my thoughts :-)
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:32   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@ Zappo , @ samKapasi
Have put up the right thoughts. Go for a new car. Your car will deifntely fetch around 40K. Your are almost ready to spend around 1.5L more on the car. A new 800 would cost you around 2.3L
my thoughts :-)
40K no chance. More like 10-15K. My friend sold his for 20K.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sir, I say unless the car comes up somewhere in your daily or even weekly usage plans don't go in for the restoration.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

You have the amby which is your restored baby.
Your practical car is the optra.
Now if you sell this for 40K(Possible) and then put in 1.5L you get a brand new car.

Sure you can spend 120K and make it like new, but you will have to pay for maintenance.
With a new car that headache will go away.
My suggestion.
Sell this thing.
Spend 2L more and get an alto with alloys or spend 1.5L more and get a brand new 800.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:39   #22
BHPian

It sounds like it is time (and reason!) to get a new car.

The car has served its time and from the sound of it, has served you well.
I say put sentimentality aside and get a newer, more modern car, with perhaps better safety/comfort and more bells & whistles. This goes double since you already have a beauty that demands more TLC.

Honestly, I have a problem with selling my old automobiles too but I wouldn't think its worth the trouble for the ubiquitous 800. The car will never run perfectly again and from time to time, gremlins (however small) will surface and need attention, taking that little something away.

For me, the clincher would be that there isn't anything to replace the new automobile feeling and experience. Especially if this is for another person who may not appreciate a restored car as much as a new one.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

@ Rudra da - if i were you - i would keep the car and restore it. i am kinda inclined towards old cars. yes it true maintaining an old car needs a lot of patience - ask me about it.

like nitrous suggested - give her a heart transplant with a used M800 MPFi 5 speed. get the exhaust work & other "works" done by Psycho. go for the simple aura alloys or take a look at this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/518154-post380.html

if you are not satisfied after the "works" - i will buy the car
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes you better get a brand new small car. There are so many choices now a days. You being a Chevy owner, should get some good discounts on Spark.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

You love taking care of Amby. If you restore your 800, you will create sibling rivalry for Amby . I would recommend selling 800.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buy a new bottom half. Cost around 8-9k.
Work on the top part. May be with slight head shaving. Cost around 10k.
Take enough time to for entire body tapping. It has loads of small bumps and dents. Cost around 10-12k.
Have comfortable supportive sitting arrangement. Get good upholstery. Cost around 15k.
Get exhaust portion made, start to end. May cost around 10-12k.
Only problem and also a big problem with this car, is getting trims. It’s not readily available in the market, at least in Bangalore.
You could get a second hand car in good condition and save all the above cost and spend only on the below. Well Maruti 800 is not a vintage or classic car that it needs to be "restored". Instead of spending (or wasting) time and money) on redoing an old car, its better to go for a 2nd hand one.
Quote:
Find out a good paint shop with heat chamber. Paint it dark metallic silver. Cost around 20k.
Look for better looking alloys. Preferably, a deep-dish type. I know it’s very difficult to get for 12inch size. I would love to have white spokes with chrome lip. Put 165 tyres. Let’s keep an over estimated budget of 30k. May be less, may be more.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic guys! I'm really getting lot of perspectives..

But where is Edmund?
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:51   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
To understand why he needs 3 cars, one must know the old man on a closer, more personal level. Let me tell you this much, he needs a 3rd car. He drives the first two and no one else will. So whoever else lives in that house needs a 3rd car. Or be subjected to lines like "You left fingerprints on my steering wheel"

hmmm, looking at it from Sam's perspective, it seems that the 3rd car is for small errands and to be used by your better half.

In which case it needs to be a practical option for "rough usage" and not really worry about dings and dents and things like that.

In that case it does make sense to sell it and go for a new car. But what happens is that once you get a new car you wont feel like using it for rough use and things like that. You will end up treating it like the optra i.e. pampering it.

Now that is a dilemma.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Why has the thought of restoration crossed your mind ?

- If it is to save some money vis-a-vis a new car - then sell, since it may not ultimately be VFM
- If all you want is a practical small car - then sell

- If it has very strong sentimental value attached - then restore
- If you want it for it's 'uniqueness' - then restore
- If you feel passionate about going through the process of restoring another car - then restore

Bottomline,
If the reason is practical - then sell
If the reason is passion - then keep. The 'VFM of passion' cannot be measured in monetary terms.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Rudra,

I say keep the car. Work on the body and engine. No modifications on the engine - just get all the worn out parts replaced and make it like new. As for the body - if you are game then I say turn it into a 2 door and have fun. I know this will take up your time but the effort should be worth it.

If you sell it - make sure you ask the better half her feelings about the car. If you sell it off after she leaves and gift her keys to a new car on her return, it might just backfire if she loves this car a lot.

Will pitch in with more thoughts once I think about this - what I said was what came to mind immediately.

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed