Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:11   #61
BHPian

Rudra, Here is my opinion- Keep the car. Make minimal mods and keep the same engine and just change the worn out parts (assuming its still sourceable). Dont spend much on the car - but just try to replace the worn out parts, and keep it in running condition. I believe the budget will reduce if you do not install alloys or expensive ICE or a new engine transplant etc...try to get a paint job & polish the dash etc to give a new feel..maybe add wheel caps instead of alloy wheels...that way you wont end up spending a lot.

My dad bought an SS80 in 1985. We were so so so so emotionally attached to it. We had to sell it off due to unavoidable circumstances :(

I would love to buy back that car but we do not know who owns it now. It was registered in the Jayanagar RTO, I went there to enquire but those guys there just proved how bad indian govt offices are, I could not get any information.

I definitely understand how you must be feeling to let go off that car...
Old 3rd August 2007, 15:28   #62

I suggest keeping the car and getting it modified per your wish list probably by paying more than 120k, because she deserves it. You have the best cars (Amby & Optra), its time to show extra love toward (M800), which may beat the other two cars.

Getting back the lost ones is hard Rudro! Think over!

Would love to see the restored Maruthi in your Photo Gallery!!!
Old 3rd August 2007, 17:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

That M800 of yore with the slanting glass dicky which gave it some kind of a hatchback look then, revolutionized the car-mentality of an average Indian who was brought up on the staple fare of Amby, Fiat & Herlads.

In a way it can be said that the M800 was the T-Ford of India. Reading all the post for and against this M800 that you possess, I'm sure you are using this place as a sounding board to see who all agree with what you have already made up your mind for.

And I know what's in your mind dear Rudra; you want to keep it, renovate it and use it for another decade. You can dart in and out of traffic situations, park it with aplomb in a tight corner and will have peace of mind knowing no self-respecting auto lifter will even a give a second look at this model; unlike quite a few of us who scourge the markets looking for gear-locks, steering-brake pedal jammer, immobiliser, SMS/GPS trackers and what not.

So go ahead, renovate it, be proud about it and cock a snook at all those who spoke against...Remember I supported your thought process...
Old 3rd August 2007, 19:44   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
@all: Me (Jaggu) n my wife (Mee) had our first date in this car !!! Long story, but i also can claim some memories with this beauty.

my wife (mee) is out of country and now ol man wants to sell the lil car !!! Damn i hate this month already !!
Jaggu, how about you taking this 800, and the cherished memories that are associated with it ..

Rudra, I would sell the 800 and get a better, newer car. You have one beauty that you have restored. Restoring the 800 wouldnt make it any more unique than the thousands of 800's that are around. A newer car would be more reliable, and comfortable ..
Old 4th August 2007, 23:33   #65
BHPian

dear rudra sir, waiting your decision !

so will you soup the 800 or get rid of it!
will be awaiting a project thread if your planning to keep it!
Old 4th August 2007, 23:37   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

If Rudy were to make Horcruxes, I am sure all of them would be his cars. To know more about Horcruxes one has to read Harry Potter.
Old 5th August 2007, 02:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Are we to expect Potterisms to pepper TBHP for a few weeks now?
Old 5th August 2007, 02:44   #68
BANNED

hey, why do you want to spend more than a lac on a peice of junk. go ahead and by the same car. a new maruti 800, the std model costs under 2 lacs.
Old 5th August 2007, 10:18   #69
Team-BHP Support

Rudy

I think the car has run its course. While your heart will be transplanted to the UK for a short while, showering the love on the car won't really do much. Spend the money on an air ticket instead.

Running after one old gal is enough but another could end up in divorce.

Nuff said, but as you know these emotional dliemma's are on going - I can talk!!!
Old 5th August 2007, 11:04   #70
Team-BHP Support

Ol man as i mentioned to you early, this is a conscious decision one has to make.

New car means peace of mind for first 3 years or so, no unscheduled maintanence worries etc. Yes you will have to shelve out couple of lakhs and watch the car depreciate as years go by and the banks earn the interest.

Old car will take some cost to refurbish, similar to that you will eventually put down for the new car. Hell lot of effort, thankfully you know some good people who can help you when you build her up.

Yes whatever said and done it will not be 100% reliable and small issues can come up. But with the simple set up that 800 has, most will be predictable and manageable (my advice dont go overboard with mods). Certain parts will be the pain point, but since you have time, shouldnt be an issue and as with the wheels there will be some work around somewhere

At the end of the day the lady also has to decide, if she wants to be just another driver in a car that winks at people OR be winked at, in the lil 800

cheers
Jaggu
Old 5th August 2007, 11:31   #71
BHPian

Dear Mr. Sen,

Sir, I strongly suggets you keep this vehicle, keeping as a first thing in mind, reliability. IMHO you should invest in a relatively 'new' engine, preferable a little used one of the same type & make....since all your other mechanicals are OK. Love's labour is something to cherish....please keep this car & restore it!!!
Old 5th August 2007, 12:29   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Love's labour is something to cherish....please keep this car & restore it!!!
I hope you have seen his other cars and the care they get. Specially the good old Ambi.

Where is Rudraji? I don't think he came back after starting the thread. And here all of us trying to advice him on restoring a car, almost like students trying to give lessons to the teacher.
Old 5th August 2007, 12:47   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Where is Rudraji? I don't think he came back after starting the thread. And here all of us trying to advice him on restoring a car, almost like students trying to give lessons to the teacher.
I'm very much here. Reading all the replies and getting more and more confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
And here all of us trying to advice him on restoring a car, almost like students trying to give lessons to the teacher.
Not true. I thought I knew things about restoration before joining TBHP. Now I'm a student again.
Old 5th August 2007, 16:37   #74
BHPian

so finaaly wat have u decided .....waiting for ur response

in my opinion u should keep the car .....restroration process should be done slowly and gradually .....first and foremost the car should be in running condition...so maintainence of the engine is required first than the cosmetic changes ,,as can be done in the coming time....this is only when you feel that spares and parts are available in banglore easily .....if you do not get spares easily then i think that it would sensible that you sell this car
Old 5th August 2007, 18:39   #75
Senior - BHPian

KEEP IT!!!

pleasepleaseplease
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks