Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2007, 19:10   #76
Senior - BHPian

Emotions never make financial sense.
Sell the car sir, our '93 A/C (loved it to bits!) fetched 50K. It was the car I learnt to drive in. When they came for it, I just couldnt bear to see the lady who bought her driving away. That morning, when I took her out for one final drive with my mom, I couldnt stop thinking about how it was the last time ever that I would get to touch that well worn gear lever, and that thin steering wheel. Everything was well....right where you wanted it to be. There were just too many memories and emotions attached to it, because I grew up in it. For a long while, I just SAT in there..giving it all a thought.
Point being, it will be hard for a day or two, but a 2003/2002 5-speed MPFi M800 makes much much more sense.

Last edited by sajo : 5th August 2007 at 19:12.
Old 5th August 2007, 19:19   #77
Team-BHP Support

Cars are emotional things before and during after ownership. Once you sell, it is "out of sight, out of mind"

My past cars all have a story to tell but after a while, I do not feel an emotional wrench
Old 5th August 2007, 19:54   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Cars are emotional things before and during after ownership. Once you sell, it is "out of sight, out of mind"

My past cars all have a story to tell but after a while, I do not feel an emotional wrench
Very true. I had to part with 5 cars in my life, 2 were my dad's, but still the feeling is the same. all the 3 cars that i parted with, i cleaned & polished the car myself one last time & sent them off. Like ajmat said, it is "out of sight, out of mind".

No way, i am not suggesting rudra to give up his M-800. Please restore it & keep it.
Old 5th August 2007, 20:39   #79
BHPian

Dada, my suggestion would be, to sell it and go for another one.

PS : Why not add a poll to this thread ?
Old 5th August 2007, 20:50   #80
BHPian

Sir,

In all honesty, I suggest that a Restoration will be the best way out, It will keep you engrossed when you have some free time, and the result will make you proud.

Maybe later you can pass it on as a Legacy, A completely restored car..!

The other option, since you're not going to get a decent price for it, I suggest You could have the car in servicable condition and Donate it to some Orphan or Old Age Home.

At least The Joy of Life will live on in those lives..!
Old 5th August 2007, 21:04   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
So the cost is hovering around 110-120k.
lets look at this like I would (remember my roots).

Cost of renovating the car. 1.2L at best - 1.5L more realistic.
What you can expect for it: 0.5L?
difference: almost 2.0L

for 2.0L you can get a pretty good 800 or even Alto. for 3L or so you can get a new Alto. End of discussion.

You got one sentimental/tempremental old lady (Amby) why do you need another?

Last edited by navin : 5th August 2007 at 21:05.
Old 5th August 2007, 21:14   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
End of discussion.
You want to dismiss this thread now? I'm probably going to take little more time to decide. Please give me some time Navin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
You got one sentimental/tempremental old lady (Amby) why do you need another?
Amby is really behaving well. This morning (6 am) at Koramangala ring road she was cruising in a relaxed manner. At 130km.
Old 5th August 2007, 22:12   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Amby is really behaving well. This morning (6 am) at Koramangala ring road she was cruising in a relaxed manner. At 130km.
dont bother, not many would connect to this. cheers:
Old 5th August 2007, 22:25   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm probably going to take little more time to decide. Please give me some time.
Do you have a parking problem, in that basement ? Does somebody pick a fight every weekend with you, parking 3 cars? If yes, then it's a practical little reason to part with it. If no, let it be. Spend money on it slowly. Would you really want to see the SS80 replaced with a new Alto, or Santro etc.?

Unless parts are a major issue. I know somebody who wants to part with their legendary Fiat only because parts are not available.
Old 5th August 2007, 22:43   #85
BHPian

rudra sir. I had same case as u had. At my home we had 3 cars.

Maruti 800 87
Travera 2006
City 2004

maruti being first car for us we had an emotional attachment to it, but when i see overall expenditure done on maruti it was not justified later on my friend's brother who owned authorised maruti service centre he suggested to sell it off and get an alto he cited the reasons is too much of expenses required to keep it in good shape.

there is a life time for every car which may vary to an extent on how we maintain it. We finally exchanged it to Alto.

But any how do nt get much confused relax take all suggestion review and decide.

good luck !
Old 6th August 2007, 01:42   #86
BHPian

the opinion is almost unanimous. the car has done its time. it is time to let go.
the thread is pointless until u step in and give a few more details. are u at all, in a sentimental state of mind with those 4-wheels (ahh, actually 5 but come to think of it, the latter always received less love, ummm....burns to be precise). if not, the whole restoration project is pointless. as ~Gordon already said, the M800 is not vintage. the amby certainly is. and 120Gs is a lot of dough. think about it. since Ms. Sen is the one who would be driving it, i say, getting an Auto-tranny hatch would fetch much love and respect.

and if u do want a restoration hobby, please do it Psycho-style. Get a contessa and make it a lowrider.....
that would be fun, wont it?
Old 11th August 2007, 18:17   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
AT this point, Psycho offered again to buy Rudra's small maruti car. Soon after, it was not clear which one was psycho between the two.
What really happened is that Psycho offered 10 capsicums for the car and Rudy flatly refused
Old 4th September 2007, 16:06   #88
BHPian

So, what have you decided, Rudra???
Old 4th September 2007, 17:11   #89
BHPian

I must say the old 800 is a macho sporty looking little thing. With a golden BRS spoke wheel and a newer more powerful engine it should just look great.

Dude in the end it depends on your personality, If your the type that enjoys a trouble free new car and is more inclined to enjoy the ride than the car then i say sell it and go for a new Alto. But if you are the type which enjoys the car more than the drive then keep it.

You look like the type that enjoys the car more than the drive, guess thats why you still keep the Ambi?

People restore old crapy mini coppers and so who ever thought of doing it must have been branded as a silly fool but who ever did it must have been branded as the coolest guy on road, but today many peole love the mini cooper with the sporty look simply because some one chooce to do it first. I get it that you want a cheaper version of the mini cooper or something to that effect. I bet lot of people will line up on your door step once you do that car the way you really want it to be, with the big engine and all. Then it would be give me a ride please.

So i say you earn your money you live only once and you get only one chance to enjoy what you love doing, so lets say Rudra Sing did it his way. What say?

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 4th September 2007 at 17:19.
Old 4th September 2007, 18:20   #90
BHPian

If you have the money and sentiments to go along with her then proceed for restoration otherwise sensibilities advice to dispose / sell her off.

Cheers !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed