Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:13   #31
Team-BHP Support

This was something i drew many many years ago while standing at my window and looking down on our old M800.

The original car (yea yea, its a bit off...)

And what I thought at the time I'd like to do with it.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:35   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a very good rendition Rtech - both real and perceived.
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:00   #33
BHPian

Rudra Sir, I am a novice when it comes to talk about cars, especially to seniors like you, so please spare me if I am messing up things...

We have a 93 model M800 standard, no AC, seatbelts or anything...Just the engine, 4 wheels, seats and it runs...It was our first car and the only one my father ever bought and so has lots of sentiments attached..He still feels that his days with buying a car is over with this one...He takes it around over the weekend for small trips around Cochin and is very happy with it...I am finding it very difficult to get him to sell it for a new car. By gods grace, money is not a problem anymore, but his sentiments are strong and I dont want to break it...So the M800 stays at home...

Now, the point I wanted to make is if you dont have any such sentiments attached, its practical to sell this one off and buy a new car, which is better in almost all respects and wil serve you hassle free for another decade or so...
It finally boils down to a battle between the brain and the heart...let the best bit win...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
The 'VFM of passion' cannot be measured in monetary terms.
Very nice thoughts Shuvc

Last edited by basilmabraham : 2nd August 2007 at 14:14.
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

rudraji, i think you must think of buying another small car. there is no point spending another lakh for restoration on a car that is showing signs of going down. that aside, maybe you can consider a new age diesel like swift D or better still wait for the punto diesel and be done with the buying part. these are cars that would last 2-3 lac kms without much issue i guess.
Old 2nd August 2007, 16:02   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Guys please do keep in mind that our beloved old man loves seeing work being carried out on his cars to his likes. The satisfaction he gets on completion of the work is something one has to witness personally. And hearing him talk about his love for the Amby is to die for. His pics only depict a part of his mind and heart.

Also, I have seen him refuse letting go of this car several times. He invariably has an emotional touch with everything he owns, be it cars, music system or his high funda computer or his EOS. For such a man, letting go of what could be the beginning of yet another love story might be hard? Only our bling king can answer this.
Old 2nd August 2007, 16:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

yeah! IMO there is no point in letting it go. if he is emotional about the car - its better to keep it and restore it. going through the entire restoration process is quite exciting.

@mcl - who is this bling king? rudra da? he seemed quite sober except for the ZIPPO - he is quite emotional about the zippo aswell.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 2nd August 2007 at 16:12.
Old 2nd August 2007, 16:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Rudy,
If this is very emotional to you, keep it. Plonk it with new power plant and few modifications and lo your newly leased old baby is ready to dance once again on streets ....hmmm may be for a few years......
Old 2nd August 2007, 16:44   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rudra,

Unless there is sentimental value attached, no point in spending a lac upward on a car thats over two decades old. Yup, we have done it to our Jeeps and Ambassadors (and will continue to like fools!) but they are machines that are close to our heart. I dont think the 800 fits here. Therefore,

Practicality: Sell it, and buy a used 800 / Zen / Alto within a 5 - 6 year vintage. It will deliver for almost another decade pretty well and much darn better than a re-conditioned 20 year old car.

Costlier practicality: Sell it and buy a new Alto / Santro / Swift. I have a feeling that the 800 driver will just love an automatic Santro.

Personally, I would just sell and buy a used newer hatch.
Old 2nd August 2007, 17:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Personally, I would just sell and buy a used newer hatch.
Exactly! This is what I would do. Sell it off for 35-40K and get a 5 yr old (50K km) Maruti 800 for 1.2K and spend another 50K for alloys, tubeless tyres and ICE.

cheers
Old 2nd August 2007, 17:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

If I would have been in your position, I would let go my sentiments for a much practical decision.. Not every time we should allow our heart to rule on our brain.. Putting money on so much old car wont return you in long run..
Old 2nd August 2007, 17:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Since this is Your 3rd car, Please restore her! Bring the budget into reality values, as in do it up within a 75k budget, going backwards.
Good condition 1st generation 800's are getting rear to see. it will be your pride when you drive her around! I love to see them on the road, if they are well maintained.
selling her and buying a hatch is a good idea, though you will always regret the decision, this being the 3rd Car!!
Old 2nd August 2007, 17:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Here's a new perspective. Keep the SS80 and restore it. Buy a swift for daily use.
Old 2nd August 2007, 17:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ahem,

Who will drive the car you / her?

If it is you then: do you want to go through it all over again?

IF it is her: Would she want a re-run of the Amby?
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:05   #44
Team-BHP Support

Psycho, you are not allowed to give your opinion on this thread. You are an interested party here.
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:17   #45
BANNED

Rudra,

I'd say keep it and restore her to the level you maintain all your cars. The pleasure derived in restoring a car is much better than driving a used hatch.

Better to be different and stand out like what Edmund has done than be part of the crowd.

Viper
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks