Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 21:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Better late than never! High time they made it mandatory to use the seat belts.
Its so scary to be on the roads in Kerala. Travel from Trichur to Guruvayoor, and even an atheist will start believing in God. The way the bus drivers sway in and out of traffic!! I've had a few close calls driving on those roads,and found it best to go slow & steady with everyone in the car strapped on.
Old 2nd August 2007, 21:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

I always wonder, why they cannot implement such rules all over the country. Why is that such rules are left to the discretion of the states? Is it that the life of the people of a particular state is more valuable than that of another?
Old 2nd August 2007, 21:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always wonder, why they cannot implement such rules all over the country.
Rules are only for the record,for instance seat belts are compulsory in Pune but with great difficulty you would find anyone using the belts.
Old 2nd August 2007, 21:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

What is it with the politicians? What is with the people?

Is it such a big deal to wear a seatbelt?

Although I have no sympathy, I can understand that the bikers feel some discomfort from a helmet --- but a seatbelt?

Maybe if we whispered to people something like, "you've paid for it, why not use it?" ?

You know, like the guys who drive with all the lights on: main beam, foglights.... They're all mine and I'll turn them on if I want to.

But then --- there are always those who seem to want to sell their car with bulbs as new; never used so maybe my crazy idea wouldn't work.
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:25   #20
BHPian

Do all new cars come with seatbelts? What about those prior to 2003. There must be soem rationale behind applying the rule for 2003 cars and newer.

Btw, why do all people in the car have to wear seat belts? Any studies on seatbelts saving rear passengers in case of accidents?
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:34   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Wearing seat belts have been made mandatory in Kerala since yesterday.
Thats great news. Now all jkdas needs to do is fit another 2 tyres to his Avenger and start wearing seat belts.
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Do all new cars come with seatbelts? What about those prior to 2003. There must be soem rationale behind applying the rule for 2003 cars and newer.

Btw, why do all people in the car have to wear seat belts? Any studies on seatbelts saving rear passengers in case of accidents?

Seat belts for the back seats were made mandatory on all cars since 2003, only for cars produced on or after that date. Before that only the front seat belts were mandatory.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 2nd August 2007 at 22:55.
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Mayavi... your rear-seat passengers may well kill you!

They are going to hit you from behind at whatever speed the car was doing when it, err... stopped.

Imagine a head contacting yours at 50kmh.

This never occurred to me until wearing of rear seat belts was made mandatory in UK relatively recently.

I'm very fussy about the person behind me wearing belt.

Selfish, I know......
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Mayavi... your rear-seat passengers may well kill you!

They are going to hit you from behind at whatever speed the car was doing when it, err... stopped.

Imagine a head contacting yours at 50kmh.
I always thought that the car front seats act as a cusion for rear passengers in case of accidents. Front passengers have no such luxury as they have the engine, wheel, dash and windshield in front of them all of which can kill in case of head-on collission. Seat belts won't do much in case of side impacts anyway.

May be it makes sense in india because most economy cars do not have any accident avoiding safety features. So its better to be prepared for accident situations.
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I always wonder, why they cannot implement such rules all over the country. Why is that such rules are left to the discretion of the states? Is it that the life of the people of a particular state is more valuable than that of another?
About time the centre draft a road safety bill and enforce it. If I am right, more people die on our roads than in natural disasters or any major diseases.
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

The rear seat belts could help you avoid a nasty bruise on your head or even a nasty back or neck injury. It is vital for the person sitting in the middle.
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:16   #27
Team-BHP Support

Very good move, hope they implement it strictly through out the country.
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:38   #28
BHPian

I couldn't agree more with "Thad".
You paid for those seat belts so you might as well use it and save yourself and your near and dear ones some heartburn.
I always thought that the rear seat passengers were more vulnerable cause they don't get to anticipate the sudden brake(or what ever causes that)
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
If I am right, more people die on our roads than in natural disasters or any major diseases.
164 a day, to be precise
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

The seat belts should have been mandatory in Kerala long time back when u have killer red buses running around.

Most Viewed