Team-BHP - MUL to roll out new-look Esteem
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   MUL to roll out new-look Esteem (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2712-mul-roll-out-new-look-esteem-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (speedsatya @ Aug. 19 2004,00:10)]if u try doing it some more times,i doubt if ur car will ever see 140kph again.
read ur manual properly ,which says that u shud avoid going above 100kph in the first 1000kms.
the esteem touches a true max speed of 165kph in the 3rd gear.
the speedo wud show more.

satya

That is what I have mentioned. I did run in my car for first 2000km and I got first service done. After first service and 2000km only I tried pushing it.
I did not say Santro overtook it, but it seemed to be too close. Probably because I was in pushing my car in 5th gear form 80kmph that too on AC.

Anyways thanks for responding. Any tips specific to driving esteem are welcome. Upto what rpm should I push it ineach gear for best acceleration ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (viveksh @ Aug. 18 2004,21:14)]Esteem petrol after 1st service does not go beyond 140kmph in 5th gear.

Hey Viveksh,

5th gear. Thats your problem right there.
Theres no way the esteem will get any faster in 5th gear.
4th gear is the gear to be in if you are looking for top speed.
(or maybe even 3rd as speedsatya says)

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Is that going to increase after 2nd service?

Your car is still very young even at 2,000km. As it gets more broken in, it should be easier to achieve higher speeds with greater ease. Take it easy on her for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Upto what rpm should I push it ineach gear for best acceleration ?

Im assuming yours is an MPFI, with tachometer (revvmeter).
To get maximum acceleration you should take your car to redline in every gear.
However, doing this often is not good for your car. Especially since the engine has still not been completely run in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Any tips specific to driving esteem are welcome.

The esteem has long gearing, so that gives you a little more opportunity to downshift in certain situations.
Also, it is very prone to understeer, left foot braking on high speed corners helps mantain the chosen line. However, this takes practise and should not be tried unless you understand the concept completely. Also getting the pressure correct with your left foot is not easy.
The esteem is my personal favourite for handbrake turns, especially when the tarmac is wet, not much speed is necessary to pull these of, so start slow.... and only in a deserted place.

Most importantly, drive safely. The esteem is a featherweight and tends to slide a lot. Plus its nowhere near the current industry safety standard. And dont be testing top speed in this weather with these roads.

cheers
R

Thanks a lot Rehaan.

As I have understood, I did not hurt my car too much since I did not take it to higher RPMs being in higher gear. Later on after it gets old enough,I'll try to achieve top speed in 4th or 3rd gear.

I have been using left foot braking for while now and I am quite comfortable with that. I can do 180 degree spins(Handbrake turn) also, but never tried 360 . I do it at 45-47-49 kmph on wet tarmac or gravel.

Even I don't like build quality of this car, but I bought it for it's engine only.

I am out of town these days, so cannot try out top speed anyways.

Thanks for the tips.

Vivek,

Congrats for your best-acceleration-for-the-rupee deal. The MPFi is a rocker of a car in a straight line, and a good driver with grippy rubber can keep up with much faster cars around town.

Its surprising that you complain about lack of speed in the Esteem. Just a couple of things:

1. My Carb Esteem regularly shows 180+ on the speedo. Your MPFi has got to be way faster than that.

2. Running in has to be a gradual process. You dont drive carefully for 2000 km and then suddenly red line it. Gradually increase the high revv limit over a couple of 100 kms.

3. One of the reasons could be that you were accelerating from 80 onward in 5th!!! The Esteem is way tall geared, and you could even have downshifted to second at an indicated 80 (Dont hold me up if you over-revv the engine ) Just kidding. But 3rd would have been ideal to accelerate from 80+.

Be patient....that jewel of an engine is more than capable of bringing you smiles on the straights.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 20 2004,00:50)]The Esteem is way tall geared, and you could even have downshifted to second at an indicated 80

Yupp...you got that right.

Ive done 65km/h in 1st gear in a carb'd esteem

However, doesnt the MPFI esteem have shorter gearing or a revised final drive?? (as compared to the old carb'd ones) so beware!

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]However, doesnt the MPFI esteem have shorter gearing or a revised final drive?? (as compared to the old carb'd ones) so beware!

Having driven so many...sure did not feel like its been revised. Even if it has, its still way toooooo tall.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 20 2004,00:50)]Vivek,

Congrats for your best-acceleration-for-the-rupee deal. The MPFi is a rocker of a car in a straight line, and a good driver with grippy rubber can keep up with much faster cars around town.

Its surprising that you complain about lack of speed in the Esteem. Just a couple of things:

1. My Carb Esteem regularly shows 180+ on the speedo. Your MPFi has got to be way faster than that.

2. Running in has to be a gradual process. You dont drive carefully for 2000 km and then suddenly red line it. Gradually increase the high revv limit over a couple of 100 kms.

3. One of the reasons could be that you were accelerating from 80 onward in 5th!!! The Esteem is way tall geared, and you could even have downshifted to second at an indicated 80 (Dont hold me up if you over-revv the engine * ) Just kidding. But 3rd would have been ideal to accelerate from 80+.

Be patient....that jewel of an engine is more than capable of bringing you smiles on the straights.

GTO

Thanks GTO.
I understand run -in process. I need to gradually increase the rpms of engine may be stepping up by 500- 1000 rpm after each 700-1000 km run.

But I was just wondering about the gear ratio. Anyways I was revving it upto 4-5k only. So I don't think I did harm engine in anyway.

Thanks a lot for the tips. These would be handy while driving on highway , overtaking other vehicles and during drags.

Any idea at what engine speed does rev-limiter cuts-off in esteem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

Any idea at what engine speed does rev-limiter cuts-off in esteem?

Theres only one way to find out...Floor it till you feel it

Just kidding. I think its around 6200 - 6300 rpms

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 20 2004,20:46)]Just kidding. I think its around 6200 - 6300 rpms

GTO

6200 - 6300 rpm on a brand new car???

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ Aug. 20 2004,20:59)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 20 2004,20:46)]Just kidding. I think its around 6200 - 6300 rpms

GTO

6200 - 6300 rpm on a brand new car???

Hey Rudra,

Maybe you are thinking of the "governor" concept, where it was not possible to revv the car high when it was new, in the good old days.

However allmost all MPFI cars have electronic revvlimiters, ie fuel supply is cut off past a certain RPM.
So whether the car is new or old that doesnt make a difference to the revv limit.

An interesting concept you have thought of there though!
Like the BMW E46 M3 keeps "increasing" the redline as the engine warms up, by red lights on the tachometer going off.
Im sure more advanced cars could also increase the revv limit in the long term for new cars!.....however, people have different methods and beliefs when it comes to breaking in cars....so that might not be a great idea afterall!

cya
R

Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt they say not to push the car when it's new...

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt they say not to push the car when it's new...

Correct. I am not asking him to push the car right now. He asked what the revv-limiter i.e. the engine fuel cut-off limit was....its about 6200 rpm for the Esteem. The engine wont revv beyond that, new or old

GTO