Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car Slaughter House

Read this article in the Hindu yesterday & thought i will share it with you folks here.

Quote:
PRINCE FREDERICK watches vehicles being torn apart limb to limb and sold in bits and pieces, at the body shops along the South Cooum River Road

Cars have minds of their own. Haven’t we seen Herbie the Beetle? I used to own an Indian Fiat that could think up an excuse at the drop of a hat.
Once, while taking a shortcut to Marshall’s Road, my 1968 Premier Padmini baulked at entering South Cooum River Road. At that time I did not think beyond the minor mechanical glitch that caused the breakdown. Now I know that my Padmini feigned an illness to avoid passing by slaughterhouses. What I like to call “abattoirs for vehicles” line the South Cooum River Road.
As I do a round of them today, I watch two Ambassadors, a pickup truck and an autorickshaw being torn apart from limb to limb. And I also watch portions of ‘slaughtered’ vehicles, from Matiz to Indica, being sold in bits and pieces.
After a morning spent hopping from shop to shop, I settle down for a long chat with S.A.T. Sultan Ali. He throws a supervisory glance as Loganathan and Arumugam set to work on a rundown Ambassador. These two are part of a workforce that..... continue at link below
Source : The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai : Auto abattoir

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd August 2007 at 23:32.
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

We have our own Mullick Bazar in Kolkata which operates on the same "business" model. It is usually a pleasure to visit the place inspite of the mud the greas and obviously the noise. One can be surprised at what one finds there everytime. Moreover some high quality salvaged OEM parts can be found there.
Old 3rd August 2007, 03:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have had to go to one of these places to replace a part on my Daewoo Matiz car after unsuccessfully looking around in the local spares stores.

You will be surprised at what all you find in these places,you can even find second hand tyres,steering wheels,brake lights,indicator lights,grills,car seats even and what not of all sorts of cars.

Parts no longer available in the open market are available here and its amazing how they are able to get you a part with pin-point accuracy from what looks like a junk yard.
Old 3rd August 2007, 08:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

And they know all the cars & models by the year.
Old 3rd August 2007, 09:39   #5
BHPian

Do we have anything like this in BLR ?

Ram P
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a similar setup in Mumbai, at C.S.T. road.
Old 7th August 2007, 20:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Do we have anything like this in BLR ?

Ram P
In Bangalore its called the GUJRI located at Chandani Chowk, Shivajinagar

A small narrow one way lane opposit the Russel Market that leads you up to hotel Harsha. You can find almost anything you want but make sure you dont park your car anywhere nearby. A friend of mine got a wheel cap for his car at a very good price. His elation lasted only till he found out that the one on the other side had gone missing.

God bless...
Old 7th August 2007, 21:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

I guess every city has such a place.

Afjalgung is one such area in Hyderabad. Also a good place to look out for Classics.

Stanher can share alot about it, just saved another beauty - center light fiat from being slaughtered. (man this is the third car he saved this year i guess)

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 7th August 2007 at 21:16.
Old 7th August 2007, 21:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Bombay has its infamous Chor Bazaar...I frequent it often, (Im going there tomorrow), its a most interesting place. Im very keen to go trigger happy, but if Im seen clicking photos ill be treated like a tourist, and be quoted prices along those lines.

Its quite a sight to see a car being broken. 20 mins flat, theres no trace of the vehicle! By plain chisel and hammer that too. No power saws.
Old 7th August 2007, 22:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

i think cst road is more famous now a days for car scrapping.. they scrap all types of cars.. trucks.. ex-army, ex-muncipal , best buses.. and wat not..
Old 8th August 2007, 00:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

there is the cst road and the famous chor bazaar. u could find anything under the sun there
Old 8th August 2007, 01:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
there is the cst road and the famous chor bazaar. u could find anything under the sun there
Lot of parts from Mullick bazar, especially from many disassembled classics, is actually transported to this famous Mumbai chor Bazar. Likewise for the other chor bazar's situated in the other parts of the country.
Old 8th August 2007, 01:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

yes 1100 lots of chor bazaars located all over the country. parts are exchanged and sold on buyers demands. but buying here you have to know the exact part and the price otherwise you would be fleeced
Old 8th August 2007, 01:42   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Bombay has its infamous Chor Bazaar...I frequent it often, (Im going there tomorrow), its a most interesting place.
that place is really interesting now, isn't it?
they probably have everything under the sun - from antique gramophones to Dodge Chargers!
Old 8th August 2007, 03:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
that place is really interesting now, isn't it?
they probably have everything under the sun - from antique gramophones to Dodge Chargers!
yes you do find everything there. antiques, jewelery, cars and their parts both new and vintage. if your lucky you could find a rare find too. i had bought a citron 2cv goods carrier from there. i later sold the car to someone who could do justice to the car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks