Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2004, 02:45   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A short while after Maruti made the Alto cheaper by Rs. 36000 via a stripped down variant...Hyundai does the same with the Santro by introducing a stripped down version which is Rs.35,000 cheaper. Price ex-showroom Delhi is Rs. 2.99 Lacs.

Marutis move resulted in the Alto garnering sales of 10,000 cars + per month, and for the first time ever overtaking the Maruti 800 in sales as the No.1 seller in India.

I think that Hyundai is also taking the Santro a little lower to differentiate positioning from its soon to be launched hatchback - The Hyundai Getz.

As with the Alto, the stripped down Hyundai Santro does not come with a factory fitted air-conditioner or power-steering.

GTO

Source : Economic Times Article
Old 22nd August 2004, 03:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I think that Hyundai is also taking the Santro a little lower to differentiate positioning from its soon to be launched hatchback - The Hyundai Getz.
Very true. With the the Zing XG at 4.3 lakhs and the base Accent at 5.3, Hyundai has to slot the Getz b/w these two prices. This one lakh price band will ensure Getz's arrival.

Revv
Old 22nd August 2004, 11:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even though they have reduced the price of Santro it can't beat the Alto, because people have trust in Maruti brand than in Hyunai and also Alto has a better fuel econmy which people look for.:O
Old 22nd August 2004, 11:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey sridhar, but you are forgetting the lack of space in the alto, the low seat height, even the mileage isnt that great(alto at the min gives 15 in city, santro min 13,) all these factors tilt the scale towards the hyundai santro
Old 22nd August 2004, 12:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

i think a good move by the hyundians. santro is the only decent car they have in their line up....and making it cheaper is gonna take the fight to the alto big time. i wud go for the santro anytime at this price.

cheers
Old 22nd August 2004, 17:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good move by Hyundai...... Alto will have a good competition. But, i do feel that Alto will stillbe a better seller coz of the brand image Maruti has, and besides that Maruti service centres are available in every nook and corner of the country. Thats a big advantage!
Old 22nd August 2004, 19:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey shravan,

even hyundai service is as good as if not better than maruti's. servicing a hyundai is as easy as servicing a santro. i take my hats off to hyundai for their service network. they launched their operations with a good service network.

i think the alto has a big fight on its hand.
cheers
Old 22nd August 2004, 20:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (normally_crazy @ Aug. 22 2004,18:10)]hey shravan,

even hyundai service is as good as if not better than maruti's. servicing a hyundai is as easy as servicing a santro. i take my hats off to hyundai for their service network. they launched their operations with a good service network.
n_c.... i was talking about the rural areas. I find the number of Maruti service centres really high. The Hyundai centres, i find are present in more established rural towns.
Old 22nd August 2004, 21:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

guess hyundais becomin serious after all ........
the sales should reise by a couple hundred but resale value of existing owners will fall .....
the same way as it was with the ikons,....
im gettin 2.25 for my daewoo nexia and hyundai is offerin 2.30 for my ikon which is newer
Old 22nd August 2004, 22:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good strategy.
I just hope Hyundai and Maruti are not in the run for the 1lac car.Tata Beware....
Old 23rd August 2004, 00:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (X-Machine @ Aug. 22 2004,20:44)]I just hope Hyundai and Maruti are not in the run for the 1lac car.Tata Beware....
Maruti's one lac car is already out!! Second hand 800's. They make great 1 lac cars, maintainence free, low running cost, awesome fuel economy, what else could you ask for?!?
If they make a 1 lac car(for a new one), the quality may not match up to the 800's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks