Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2004, 13:42   #1
Team-BHP Support

Given the bad roads in mumbai what would you choose?
Honda NHC CVT or Optra or Elantra or Tavera?
Corolla or Endevaour or Octavia or Forester?
Accord or CRV or Terracan or Grand Vitara?
i can go on...but you get the drift.

given the bad roads why do we not see more SUVs (other than the Scorpio or Quallis) instead of Sedans esp in the C-D segments? Do Sedans offer better ride quality even over Mumbai's famous potholes (at last count over 5000).

I think any of the above mentioned sedans have sold more than all the above mentioned SUV combined. Seems like the SUV owners migh face spare parts shortages in a few years.

funnily this is phenomenon is only true in the C-D segments. I see more Pajeros (E segment?) than C-D segment SUVs.

Old 20th August 2004, 14:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Truer words never said! Keeping teh pathetic state of our roads in the picture....and the total lack of driving discipline on the road...an SUV makes better sense than a luxury sedan.

When I had to visit the Andheri-Kurla road recently, there was no ways I was going to take any of the sedans. A Bright and sunny day called for the Jeep. Potholes? What potholes? You should have seen the faces of the guys in sedans and hatches when the Jeep was treating giant potholes with utter disregard.

But SUVs arent as comfortable as sedans are (Legroom or ride quality). They are also high on fuel consumption (Major disadvantage in India). No SUV offers the driving pleasure of a sedan with the generic crazy handling and body roll. Plus a chaffeur driven SUV is the height of stupidity.

GTO
Old 20th August 2004, 16:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Plus a chaffeur driven SUV is the height of stupidity.

Seen a Cayenne being driven by a chaffeur at Andheri with a lady and her tiny tots in the rear

Coming to the reality of Mumbai roads even though the ride quality is inferior to that of a sedan I would take an Endeavor or CJ anyday .

Ask me what it is to drive my Zen everyday to work in those potholes. My back has already started aching and its taking its toll on my car too.

A raw SUV is the pick of the season

Dippy

P.S . GTO Since I live near M&M past few days I'm seeing these awesome brand new military green Jeeps coming out of the gates of the factory. Really look awesome I'll try to click em soon
Old 20th August 2004, 16:31   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

P.S . GTO Since I live near M&M past few days I'm seeing these awesome brand new military green Jeeps coming out of the gates of the factory. Really look awesome I'll try to click em soon
Are they short wheel base Jeeps? Pictures please!! Also get a close up of the awesome tyres that they use.

GTO
Old 20th August 2004, 17:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Maruit 800
Old 20th August 2004, 17:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would choose a SUV considering the bad roads.
A monster truck too would do!
Old 20th August 2004, 18:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 20 2004,15:01)]Are they short wheel base Jeeps? Pictures please!! Also get a close up of the awesome tyres that they use.
Have you guys seen those army jeeps with very different type of rim? Much bigger than the usual rim with bigger tyres?? See them often in Bangalore.. I'll try to get some some pics
Old 20th August 2004, 18:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Maruit 800
Jaggu .. really??

Dippy
Old 20th August 2004, 19:13   #9
Team-BHP Support

it can do anything... if it will survive in the himalayas why bother with anything bigger in a city like Bombay.. easy to park, maintain, great mileage.. i cant bear my beloved car take the torture

On a serious note if ride quality is what ur looking for then a D segment car is the best bet.. wading potholes SUV anyday..

Best (combination) would be a Forrester or CRv though am not very convinced by the plasticy nature of the latter..

"no man or car are perfect"

carefull with smiles.. one is stupid and anothe with stupid

Old 21st August 2004, 14:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

i would walk !!!!
Old 23rd August 2004, 13:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 20 2004,13:17)]...But SUVs arent as comfortable as sedans are (Legroom or ride quality)....No SUV offers the driving pleasure of a sedan with the generic crazy handling and body roll.... Plus a chaffeur driven SUV is the height of stupidity. GTO
once or twice a week i go from santa cruz (W) to kandivilli (W). my choice of roads is follow SV road to link road etc...or via milan subway to the highway and then either the goregoan flyover or malad subway back to the west.
choice 1 is awfully slow taking 90 mins or more each way.
choice 2 makes me navigate the dreaded east-west link roads wishing for car that could fly over the craters (pot holes are supposed to be as large as small garden pots - what we have are craters)

SUVs can navigate these craters with greater ease than a car but a car is more comfortable - true. As far as driving pleasure is concerned i wonder what driving pleasure anyone gets in mumbai when the average speed is 10-20 kmph. the only driving pleasure for mumbai is NOT driving. advantage car.

i suspect many of you have driven in Europe and the US.The US for example has a National Scenic Parkway program streching from the Seaway trail and the 100 mile + Taconic Parkway in the East (upstate NY) to the PCH and the Palos Verdes Peninsula in the west. these are some great drives
http://www.byways.org/browse/
http://www.scenicdrivesonline.com/find_a_road.shtml

my wife and i have done a few - inlcuding some not on either list - *and once the kids are in college we plan to do as many as we can. till then we'll let the chaufer get the heartattack.

Old 20th November 2012, 16:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Roads in Mumbai

Deliberately reviving an old thread!!!

From 2004 till 2012, which is almost a decade, lets talk about the state of Mumbai's roads. Have you seen any improvement in the road conditions in the past 10 years?

I have seen an exponential increase in traffic all around, the condition of the roads meanwhile have gone from bad to worse. Especially the usage of paver blocks on almost all major intersections have made the roads almost as wavy and choppy as the sea. Also in most places paver block chips off, leaving ugly potholed stretches, makes me thing it is a big perennial money making scheme by BMC.

Both the Eastern and Western express highways have now got choppy tarmac, layered and re layered with more and more tarmac, after each monsoon, this has lead to undulations and waves on the road surface, driving at moderate to fast speeds, I feel a distinct boat like motion.

Continuous digging and resurfacing almost all the roads has created major bottlenecks and slow moving traffic all around. Also several cave ins near marine lines and saath rasta areas.
I feel really sad to see this state of roads in India's premier business city, one that contributes 5% to India's GDP.
Need your inputs please!!!
Old 20th November 2012, 16:48   #13

Ran into this as I was looking for similar topics. Thanks for reviving Apache!

Short story of my experiences. In 2005, I would drive from Bandra to Vashi on a daily basis; spending 45 minutes one way. Would complain about traffic at regular spots - Bandra Masjid, Kalanagar, Dharavi/Sion, Suman Nagar, etc. In 2008, I moved to Sanpada, and my drive was now 5 minutes to work

Recently, had to shift back to to the western suburbs. Since then I'm !!! The travel time has increase to 90 minutes one way. And the traffic comes to a stand still at the same spots!!!

No one, absolutely no one cares enough to set things right.

Whats worse now is the new trend of lawlessness; bikes on the footpaths, and autos driving American style (read: wrong side of the road). Suddenly, I'm craving vigilante justice.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would like to state the conditions of the western express highway after Bhayandar towards Bandra. The roads are, as I like to put it, extremely wavy! Your car will be 'bouncing' all over the place if you cross 60. Smart way to limit the speed of the cars I say

@Mods, I think this thread is best fitted in Street Experiences.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:20   #15
BHPian

Quad bike with an enclosed driver cabin, seating one person is what I would propose for every Indian City
- It shouldn't cost too much
- Should have very limited parts so that it would not start rattling
- 4 tyres, so you wont fall off as in a bike
- Enclosed cabin space with AC, to beat the pollution
- Smaller than a rickshaw, so that you can wriggle through traffic
- As zippy as the Duke 200, to be the first even on fast stretches.
- In all, a hybrid between the Polaris quad bike, and the batsmobile.

Other accessories would include
- High beam at the rear, for the ones who keep their high beams switched on even on traffic signals
- James bond style guns on all corners, that would be remote controlled, and would just fire marbles. (Want this to break windshileds of other vehicles who piss me off)
- A light at the back, that would glow 'SORRY', if I make a mistake.
- I would also want the same light to also glow 'Patience please', 'Stop honking', 'EASY', 'ALERT', all controlled on switches inside the cabin.
- As quiet as my Figo on the inside, and the same music system.

I have started dreaming, but can someone start making one?
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed