Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 13:23   #196
BHPian

Re: Which are the most comfortable cars to drive long distances in?

Ok so I have a Polo GT TDi, and I have clocked 13500 Km in around 6 months. That involved a lot of highway driving. My drives are usually from Pune - Mysore - Calicut and then back . Its around 1100 km and I have covered it around 17 hrs door to door. If the whole distance had highways similar to NH4 then the overall time would have decreased to say 14 or 15 hrs.

In the route that I am taking you have NH4 , then a two lane state highway from Davangere to Mysore and NH212 which is again two lane from Mysore to Calicut.I am really impressed with the comfort that the car gives when you have to go for long drives. If the roads are good then this thing can easily help you manage an average speed of 55 - 60 and if the roads are similar to NH 4 then an average of 80 kmph is just a piece of cake.

If you are really a fast driver and can keep up your speed and concentration for hours together then you can reach faster than this.

So if you are looking for a car below 10 L for long distance highway driving then VW Polo GT ( Grand Tourismo ) should be your answer
rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 23:30   #197

The only car I've driven for more than 100 km at a stretch is my Wagon R CNG, so can vote only for that.

620-odd km Mumbai to Margao through the Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Chorla route. 13 hours at a stretch, single driver.
Returned via Mumbai-Goa highway.

While it's definitely not a quick car (i maintained a steady 90 to 100 kmph) it's an absolute pleasure to drive given the upright seating position (IMHO).
S.Marine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 23:56   #198
BHPian

I have done 1050 KM in Fluidic Verna, 800KMs in Innova and multiple trips of 6-700KMs in Accent. All the trips were mostly on national highways and I would rank the three cars as below :

1. Verna
2. Accent
3. Innova
Old 5th September 2014, 00:09   #199
Senior - BHPian

IMO its the co-pax that make ones drive comfortable, cars don't matter.

Anyway, still I'd like to put across my personal opinion:

1) Fiat Linea : I've felt its rather comfortable for long drives if you manage to get that elusive seating position just right.

2a) Tata Manza : The Rear passenger seating position is just excellent.

2b) Maruti SX4 : The drivers commanding view is rather confidence inspiring to cover long distances.

3) Tata Aria : The amazing insulation & ride comfort simply munches miles before I could even realise it!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th September 2014 at 00:11.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:00   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift D:

If the roads are good, then this car is great to drive. I used to drive Bangalore to Kottayam (~580 kms) in 10 hours (over night) and still get down comfortably. But if the roads are bad, it can be a pain too. You can get tired by changing the gears and clutch actions, add to that the stiff suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Marine View Post
The only car I've driven for more than 100 km at a stretch is my Wagon R CNG, so can vote only for that.

...it's an absolute pleasure to drive given the upright seating position (IMHO).
Wagon R:

Did once Bangalore to Kottayam and back! Nothing less than a pain!!! I was freakin tired and decided NOT to touch this car again. The seats are flat and offers NO support. Only saving grace is the seating position. The body roll doesn't help either; a fast moving vehicle by the side can upset the stability of this car.

Pre-facelift i20:

Did distances to the tune of 200 odd kms over a day with ample & more breaks. End of the day, somebody had to pull me out of the driver seat. While the overall drive is nice, I personally didn't like the low seating position.

Edit::

Captiva:

Brilliant vehicle! The potholes doesn't matter; silent cabin, powerful and additional creature comforts. Will be tiresome if you are caught in the traffic - long clutch play + aggressive back action.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th September 2014 at 10:25. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 5th September 2014, 10:51   #201
Senior - BHPian

I pick Spark, Swift, Accent and Rapid from my experience. Rapid is the best from this lot as I do Mantralayam trips with family frequently like 2-way 1000Km under 20 hours including Darshan time, other breaks with overnight drive. I still manage to reach office without any discomfort next day morning. I used to do round about trips to Dharmasthala in Spark and Accent during bad days of Shiradi and still complete under 13 hours including darshan at temple. Beat was the worst car I ever drove for long journeys.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:44   #202
BHPian

I've done multiple road trips ranging between 300kms to 2000 kms at one go in different cars .
M800
This was when i was 15 years younger and at that particular time i thought it was the best car to drive . I did multiple trips between Palamaner,A.P( Home ) To Pune ( College ) a distance of around 1000 kms . I never felt tired and i was able to easily manage speeds of unto 120 km/h ,it used to take me about 19 hours at the time .

Hyundai Getz 1.3
This again was in the same route and to this day i feel like it is the best Hyundai to drive. Had a steering with decent feedback and the power out on the open road was just right.With this the driving time came down to around 15 hours for the same distance

Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCi

This one was a true work horse .Drove it all the way to Surat from bangalore on one occasion and then to Junagadh on a different occasion . The best car i have drive on this side of 15lacs .The way it handles just puts a big smile on your face and you forget about the narrow drivers seat

Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDI

The longest trip on this was Bangalore-Goa though i did multiple shorter trips of about 800 kms 2 way in this .The engine is sleepy around town but it wakes up on the highway.Its a decent handler though the under thigh support could have been better .Never felt exhausted but always wished for more.

Honda City A/T

The longest I've done is this is around 800kms 2 way but multiple times .The seats at first glance look wide and comfortable but i personally always end up with a sore back whenever i drive it.Add to that the A/T is so lazy on the highway that a quick maneuver is almost impossible.

BMW 320D SportLine

The quickest car I've driven and the best handler.The extendable front seats are good for under thigh support and the gear box is quick. Ive also travelled in the back seat over long distance in this and its not half bad . Getting in and out can be a small problem because of the low floor though.
Old 5th September 2014, 13:20   #203
Senior - BHPian

I have owned a number of cars till date, and adding cars owned by other family members the number gets larger.
Among cars owned my me I will rate them as below for seating position and posture.
1. Innova. 2. Tata Estate 3. Ford Ikon 4. Manza 5. VW Polo 6. Indica 7. M 800 8. Esteem
adding cars owned by other family members. Wagon R will be first for city, but 4th after Ikon for overall use. Ecosport will come second after Innova, if seats were bigger I would have slotted it ahead of Innova too.

My innova was type 1 2008 model, but current Innovas are not as comfortable as the older type 1 & type 2 ones.

Rahul
Old 5th September 2014, 15:01   #204
Senior - BHPian

Manza, Innova and City 2014. These cars have been extremely comfortable both in city and highways drives. I must say out of all the cars I have sat in till date the back seat comfort of Manza is top notch.
Old 5th September 2014, 15:13   #205
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is that the tight steering in the fiesta classic is a boon in the highways.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 15:50   #206
BHPian

IMO 1) Koleos, 2) Swift Dzire & 3) Wagon R.

Koleos is extremely comfortable and driveabilty is superb. If you are within 80 kms/hr. then Wagon R is not bad and a spoiler probably comes helpful for stability.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:10   #207
Senior - BHPian

Tata safari and SX4. Great driving position in both, terrific GC, punchy engines and very well spaced gear ratios, esp for highways.... In the safari the added bonus is the respect you get from others which makes driving less stressful
Old 5th September 2014, 17:13   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Swift D:

If the roads are good, then this car is great to drive. I used to drive Bangalore to Kottayam (~580 kms) in 10 hours (over night) and still get down comfortably. But if the roads are bad, it can be a pain too. You can get tired by changing the gears and clutch actions, add to that the stiff suspension.

Wagon R:

Did once Bangalore to Kottayam and back! Nothing less than a pain!!! I was freakin tired and decided NOT to touch this car again. The seats are flat and offers NO support. Only saving grace is the seating position. The body roll doesn't help either; a fast moving vehicle by the side can upset the stability of this car.

Pre-facelift i20:

Did distances to the tune of 200 odd kms over a day with ample & more breaks. End of the day, somebody had to pull me out of the driver seat. While the overall drive is nice, I personally didn't like the low seating position.

Edit::

Captiva:

Brilliant vehicle! The potholes doesn't matter; silent cabin, powerful and additional creature comforts. Will be tiresome if you are caught in the traffic - long clutch play + aggressive back action.
Disagree on Captiva- I own one and it's seating comfort is nowhere close to my safari. It's engine is refined but turbo lag is painful.... So if your long drive has hilly sections then it's a royal pain
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 17:15   #209
BHPian

Well I have traveled extensively in many cars,
Tata Safari beats all others hands down. I can never imagine driving for 21 hours/1300 kms and then getting out and not feeling tired. Nor did my co-passenger feel any pain.
The other cars that I can rank in order of comfort are:
Fortuner
Endeavor
The 2nd gen honda city
Swift
Wagon R
Alto
Micra
Maruti 800
Gypsy
Old 5th September 2014, 17:20   #210
BHPian

My vote goes for the tata manza. It's very comfortable to cruise in the 100-120 range all day. Very good ground clearance ensures that even on bad roads you can manage comfortably most of the time. The back seat comfort has been mentioned by many already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks