Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 17:20   #211
BHPian

Re: Which are the most comfortable cars to drive long distances in?

My vote for the Baleno.
+Great ergonomics(Mine has seat height adjustment,too)
+Brilliant Engine and Gearbox
+Brilliant Suspension set-up
-Inadequate illumination from the stock headlamps
-Brakes
-Feels quicker than it actually is
-No armrests
-Hard clutch
-Very low ground clearance
Old 5th September 2014, 17:38   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
My vote for the Baleno.
+Great ergonomics(Mine has seat height adjustment,too)
+Brilliant Engine and Gearbox
+Brilliant Suspension set-up
-Inadequate illumination from the stock headlamps
-Brakes
-Feels quicker than it actually is
-No armrests
-Hard clutch
-Very low ground clearance

No offense bro but your negatives about baleno would mean it's actually not a great long distance cruiser. I too owned a baleno once and loved it immensely for it's driving dynamics
Old 5th September 2014, 17:39   #213
CDM
BHPian

As someone with a herniated (slipped) disc in my back, comfort has always been a priority. My vote, based on personal experience, goes for the Innova. I have done multiple, non-stop, long drives (Delhi-Manali, Leh-Srinagar) without any discomfort.

The seat is like a comfortable armchair and you sit upright, adding to the comfort. I find the Innova more comfortable than my Accord!

CDM
CDM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 17:50   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
No offense bro but your negatives about baleno would mean it's actually not a great long distance cruiser. I too owned a baleno once and loved it immensely for it's driving dynamics
Not great,but good.
It is still better than most(And more fun) but certainly not the 'King Of The Hill'.
It is also very comfortable as the seats,space and suspension set-up are perfect.
It's a subjective opinion(A biased one at that)
If the situations are ideal(Daylight and potential for limited sudden braking) then this car would be 'The most comfortable car'.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:51   #215
BHPian

1. Ford Figo Petrol (Titanium):
Did the maximum trips in last 3.5 years of ownership, ranging from short 100 km bursts to long 800km drives and totally enjoyed.
However, while the Figo is one of the best cars to drive on the highway due to its driving dynamics, it is not one of the most comfortable cars to drive in. I realised this when I had to go to Bangalore from Hyderabad (8 hrs, 600km) on a Saturday morning, drive around a bit in Bangalore (2 hours) same day evening, and return back to Hyderabad (8 hrs) on Sunday evening. About 18 hours of driving over 2 days. My wife drove for about 6-8 hours in that while I drove the majority. By the time we reached home my back was in severe trouble. The lumbar support in the seats is not great, also the acceleration is not the best. So each time you stop at a toll or break for a village bump, you lose a lot of speed and there is movement of gears.
On the way back, we took almost 4-5 breaks when I would just get down, stretch my back and drive again.

Another problem I faced often was that my right leg below the knee would get locked and I could not use it anymore. This happened even when driving for an hour or two in bumper to bumper city traffic.

Lastly, I am not sure how it would happen, but at the end of long trips on highway, the car would be quite dusty from inside. I think its the filters not working maybe? Added to the tiredness.

So while a great car to drive, I would not take a trip longer than 5-6 hours in a Figo.

2. New Honda City (2014) - Petrol CVT:
The first trip we took outside of Hyderabad, was to Goa - 720km, 14 hours of driving on day 1. Nothing happened! I was pretty good, just a bit sleepy when I reached the destination. My back, my legs, everything was in great shape. My wife drove 5-6 hours out of 14.

The seats are super comfortable in the new City, the lumbar support is very very good. Also, because it is automatic, there is no pressing the clutch and no shifting of gears. Also, because it being clutch-less, I could sit with the seat all the way back. A very relaxed driving experience. Also, the 0-100kmph in less than 12 seconds worked really well helping ease the frustration (compared to 16 or so seconds in the Figo)

No dust inside the car at all. Even better!

We drove back again to Hyderabad 2 days later, and it was also pretty effortless!

So my vote goes to the City for the most comfortable car to drive long distances!

I hate traveling in SUVs over long distances, especially as a passenger.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:58   #216

I own Ford Figo and Tata Safari. I have had chance to travel long distances using both. Ford Figo is one of the best hatchback available in India. It's drivability is really good. It's real fun to drive it. But as for comfort goes, it's not the best.

Next comes Tata Safari. I have had long trips with it. From Lucknow to Ranikhet. And not a single sign of tiredness. It's really comfortable and really an excellent vehicle to drive. I am not ssuggesting it because I own it but I am being really neutral. It's really a great car.

I also had Opel Corse if anyone remembers it. And the comfort levels of that car were just amazing. Though it's not sold in India anymore but I thought to mention about it here as well.

Thank you
Old 5th September 2014, 18:56   #217
BHPian

For me it is Palio GTX, you need speed and comfort to travel ultra long distance. I've done a Pune to Chennai 1200kms in single day, 16 hrs and only I was driving.
Old 6th September 2014, 12:37   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
For me it is Palio GTX, you need speed and comfort to travel ultra long distance. I've done a Pune to Chennai 1200kms in single day, 16 hrs and only I was driving.
I second that. Have done 880 km from Blr to Pune alone (home to home) in 11 hours including breaks in the Palio MJD and was able to drive to office the next morning.

Have driven the Punto MJD and Fiesta 1.6 too on the highway for a much shorter distance but, nothing is more comfy that the Palio.

In fact Fiesta was a pain after about 150 km. In the Palio there was just no sign of any fatigue, only body was stiff sitting in the same position.

This trip was done in Aug 2010 and I remember after Kolhapur there was new Figo who started chasing me on the highway and was inviting me for a drag. Was able to keep up pace with but, all of a sudden it started pouring and after that the Figo guy just struggled to keep pace.

Don't know what happened to him, was it the tires or was it lack of confidence in braking or a combination of both? The Palio just didn't have any issues.
Old 6th September 2014, 13:30   #219
Senior - BHPian

Gotten so used to using the cruise control on long boring highways that anything without it seems like a major compromise. That being said I find these cars to be excellent mile munchers:

Ford Fiesta: simply brilliant dynamics and perfect driving position (the latter being the reason there won't be a Fiat in my list). Both petrol and diesel variants are good on the highway though I'd still choose the petrol to keep me entertained.

Ford Mondeo: space, performance, dynamic capabilities, comfort. Poor mileage even out on the highway though

Nissan Teana: sheer sumptuous luxury makes wafting down long highways a piece of cake (sitting inside, you don't even realize when your going over bad roads)

Suzuki Kizashi: The best of both worlds; luxury and driving pleasure. The dynamics are spot on, perfect driving position, its heft makes it feel really planted, seats are extremely well supported and bolstered, whenever you get bored, you can roll the windows down and do a quick nought to hundred at toll booths just to hear that engine note (surprisingly amazing sound from the motor past 4k revs) and it's pretty silent and relaxed at high cruising speeds. However, it doesn't like bad patches of road very much. Unique car and sexy rear means you get people wanting to race all the time

Suzuki Baleno: surprisingly planted feel, low slung, good engine.

Dacia Duster: good highway dynamics and ride. Irons out the road if it gets bad.

Dacia Logan: never driven this car extensively, but I do remember thinking the ride home isn't so bad from the airport, everytime

Renault Fluence: pleasant interiors and fresh design make it a nice car to sit inside over long journeys, great ride quality capable of handling terrible patches of road. Engine feels slightly weak on the highway though.

Hyundai Elantra: relaxed engine with adequate levels of power, one of the few stiffly setup Hyundais, very efficient, planted feel but lack of steering feel renders this car perfect only for those long straight highways.

Mitsubishi Cedia: good gc for awkwardly high speed breakers that you encounter at some towns and aren't prepared for, perfect driving position, good motor, good dynamics

Skoda Octavia vRS: addictive turbo, good space up front, planted feel, cavernous boot

Isuzu DMax: never really understood why some of my friends loved the Gypsy or Thar or Xenon but after driving this, I believe it is the first crude pickup/niche vehicle that I wouldn't mind driving over long periods of time. (mainly due to the incredible engine)

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th September 2014 at 13:51.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 14:34   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
(the latter being the reason there won't be a Fiat in my list).
I presume you are pointing to the Linea & Punto. Coz, I found the seating position to be the best in Palio even when compared to the likes of Fiesta, Verna or even that matter the Honda City.
Old 6th September 2014, 14:40   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I presume you are pointing to the Linea & Punto. Coz, I found the seating position to be the best in Palio even when compared to the likes of Fiesta, Verna or even that matter the Honda City.
Yup. I mean the Punto and Linea. Though I love the Linea T-Jet, I cannot imagine driving long distances in it. Haven't had the chance to drive a Palio ever, though I've lusted after it for a while. Yes I have read about its driving position being good, I guess I just meant modern Fiat offerings, which I admit wasn't very clear considering I put up several old discontinued models. My bad!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th September 2014 at 14:44.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 15:13   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Can anyone tell me how comfortable is the Fortuner to drive over long distances? Parameter's are ergonomics, seat comfort including under thigh support, engine noise, wind noise & tyre noise, illumination from head lights in the dark.
Quoting an old post, but from whatever I have driven, you will find any ladder on frame SUV's with dedicated arm-rest to be a very comfortable & fatigue free driving experience.

Illumination & wind/tire noise are subjective. Say, in a Pajero SFX, you will know that the car starts asking for a 6th/taller gear for highway cruise after 80kmph @ 2,000 rpm, but it stays rock solid (as if on rails, like a pure German) till it maxes out. Fortuner, Scorpio & Safari aren't in the same ball park. (Must say, 4 WD Fortuner/Scorpio & Storme are better than their 2WD & earlier iteration)

I have a Yeti & a Figo, but as far as long drive go, I try to borrow someone's car. The Yeti is to be replaced by a 4WD Fortuner/PS and Figo to the 4WD W105/upcoming Scorpio.

In a high perched SUV, you don't have to keep scanning for road irregularities, you don't have to steer around an obstacle. You are not (as) bothered by high beam from oncoming cars. I can say, that for Indian roads, it makes much sense to drive a SUV, considering it is so unpredictable.

In-fact, this post nails it & the one above it.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th September 2014 at 15:14.
Old 6th September 2014, 15:52   #223
BHPian

Folks!! Let me add a couple of new angles to it. What you need on Indian highways is also:
- A car which is some trucker/ bus driver sees in his rear view, he would comply and give you a side- Fortuner/ Safari/ Scorpio
- Can be driven fast over highways with minor patchwork (Very often seen in India)- The above win again.
- Sort of indestructible suspension and alloys- the above win again. Out go the BMWs and likes.
Where I see this going is Fortuner/ Safari/ Innova (good ride but does not cover the bull in your mirror part)/ Scoprio would fare well.
Depending on creature comforts and your call on that and the cash you have the above should qualify.
Hiteshs77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 16:10   #224
BHPian

Baleno
+ Absolutely best driver, passenger seats i have been in (you can have your legs stretched out & still have complete under thigh support)
+ Low slung, quite engine, planted feel (after tyre upgrade)
+ excellent braking, confident inspiring
+ Awesome A/C
+ smooth clutch & gears
- Worse GC (would struggle on bad roads)

None of the others i have driven like Maruti Zen original, Fort Fiesta, Hyundai Accent, Honda City & Amaze, Innova gave me the comfort Baleno gave.

If you consider only Back seat comfort, nothing comes close to good old Ambassador.
Old 6th September 2014, 16:18   #225
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My Yeti has been wonderful on long distances.
Other cars that I have liked very much for long distance drives have been the Subaru Forester 2011 model which I drove on the motorways in the UK and a the AUDI A4 normal and A4 Wagon, which I drove for long distances in Australia.
The American cars that I have enjoyed on long drives inside of the US were a Chevy Cruze RS5 and a Chrysler300. The American cars tend to cosset you a lot. However, in my limited experience one has to be quite tall to reach out for something from the other side of the Chrysler for example. A friend of mine in Boston owns a Porsche Cayenne and that was incredibly comfortable to sit in.
What I would dearly love to experience one day is a Bentley, an RR and one of those beautiful Mark II Jaguars or one of those old Daimlers with the sweeping lines. Now that would be an experience!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th September 2014 at 16:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks