Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 10:05   #166
Senior - BHPian

are you able to hear faster cars behind you honking and trying to overtake ???

Otherwise you will become a safety hazard, driving deaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
The engine noise, plus the tire noise, plus the wind noise factor in greatly to fatigue. Well, sometimes it may be possible to drown these noises by turning up the volume in the music system. But, the best method I have adopted to date is to plug my ears with simple cotton plugs to cut the noise out. This way, I felt less tired over a non-stop run from Bangalore to Chennai on the GQ in 4 hours and 15 minutes. And that was the shortest I ever took to cover the 360km stretch!!! The less tired you are, the better the concentration and hence the better average speed!!!
Old 31st August 2007, 12:08   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Cotton plugs don't make one completely deaf. They merely cut out the higher frequency noise - which is the tire, engine and wind cutting noise. A honk is usually heard over these noises fairly easily - even with plugs.

But, I agree with you. Unless I keep looking into the RV mirrors frequently, it is not possible for me to judge my situation on the road. This would be the case when a higher speeding vehicle tries to overtake without honking - which I see happening on the GQ these days!!!
Old 31st August 2007, 12:09   #168
BANNED

Quote:

He'll still have the RVMs, won't he? Which, knowing GSHA, he would check very frequently.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:49   #169
Senior - BHPian

Human reactions are usually slower than a fast moving car that too on the GQ or are you suggesting that he has one eye on the RVM and one on the road or both eyes on the RVM

Get practical. Iam not trying to let anyone down here, just discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
He'll still have the RVMs, won't he? Which, knowing GSHA, he would check very frequently.
Old 31st August 2007, 13:44   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Human reactions are usually slower than a fast moving car that too on the GQ or are you suggesting that he has one eye on the RVM and one on the road or both eyes on the RVM

Yes. You are absolutely right. Human reactions are slower... But, on-road experience makes a huge difference!!!

1995: Suzuki MAX100: I was believing that doing a "high speed clip at 70kmph" was the best way to munch miles over several hours. And running at anything beyond 80kmph was too dangerous. [hrag: remember our first run on the Bangalore-Chennai pathway!!]

1999: CBZ: It is OK to run flat at 80kmph. But, to do beyond 100kmph was not wise.

2001: Alto: Well, it was comfortable to run at 90~100kmph. Don't imagine running beyond 120kmph for longer than a few seconds.

2004: Baleno: It is OK to cruise on the GQ at 110kmph. It is possible to run beyond 140kmph. But, why risk it?

2007: Cedia: 100kmph feels lazy. 120kmph is a brisk pace. Overtaking at 130kmph is cool. When you see a clear horizon try the 150kmph mark.

Well, my message is: Driving styles don't change in years. I still need the two side rear view mirrors in motorcycles - plus the center mirror in cars. While I took a quick glance on the mirrors when I pushed to 80kmph on the MAX100, I now take a quick glance while I push my Cedia to 140kmph. Otherwise, I use the mirrors like everyone else - I look in them. It is the capability of the vehicles and the man-machine understanding that improve over the years.

On a lighter note: Why would F1 cars have RVMs if it is dangerous to use them at high speeds?

Keep discussing... I would love to learn from the discussions.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:31   #171

safari from bangalore to kerala for service for the little rallying that i do was loded with spares and all the tools, was really comfortable with 5 guys in the car. I switched on the 4wd in the ghats between mysore and coinbatore just to check the fell and it was too good i would always prefer a safari, on and off road.
Old 31st August 2007, 20:25   #172
BANNED

Quote:

Why would I think you are letting me down? Using cotton ear plugs is just as safe or dangerous as having the windows rolled up and loud music playing.

My point is that drivers in both these cases would still rely on their RVMs to watch out for traffic behind them.
Old 31st August 2007, 20:44   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
This way, I felt less tired over a non-stop run from Bangalore to Chennai on the GQ in 4 hours and 15 minutes. And that was the shortest I ever took to cover the 360km stretch!!!
You did the Chennai-B'lore trip in 4/15mins! How fast where you clipping buddy! I have done it in my Skoda at 4+ hrs but then i was clocking 180kmh and an average of 120kmh. The 4+hrs was just to reach the out skirts of chennai but reaching home in traffic made it almost 5 to 6hrs. So even to touch the outskirts of chennai you need more than 4/30hrs in my opnion, so how do you calculate?
Old 31st August 2007, 23:38   #174
BHPian

The only car i have driven is My Matiz. I usually do two long trips in a month thats approximately 400kms(Bangalore to Palakkad). I do it none stop. No pain very comfortable to drive.
Old 1st September 2007, 12:49   #175
Senior - BHPian

I agree to both your statements but IMO its more dangerous than safe, experience helps but not beyond a certain limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Why would I think you are letting me down? Using cotton ear plugs is just as safe or dangerous as having the windows rolled up and loud music playing.

My point is that drivers in both these cases would still rely on their RVMs to watch out for traffic behind them.
Old 1st September 2007, 21:39   #176
BANNED

Dicor

there is none apart from dicor to have a better ride quality and comfort than a safari dicor.
Old 2nd September 2007, 02:46   #177
Senior - BHPian

Have driven/been driven for long distances in the following (not counting trips outside India) :
Amby, Skoda Octy 2.0, Contessa, Lancer, Qualis, Zen, Scorpio, Bolero, M800

From a driver's perspective, the Lancer and the Octy come out tops followed by the Zen (have driven these 3).

From a passenger's perspective the Skoda and the Conty were the best, followed by the Lancer, Qualis, Amby, Scorpio, Bolero and M800 (in that order).

From a combined perspective, my vote goes to the Skoda.

PS: I have not been on a long dist drive in the CRV, but I have a feeling it'll top the list after I do!
Old 2nd September 2007, 02:56   #178
BHPian

in order
innova
optra 1.8
lancer
corolla
ikon
esteem/m1000
indica
m800
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:14   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
You did the Chennai-B'lore trip in 4/15mins! How fast where you clipping buddy! I have done it in my Skoda at 4+ hrs but then i was clocking 180kmh and an average of 120kmh. The 4+hrs was just to reach the out skirts of chennai but reaching home in traffic made it almost 5 to 6hrs. So even to touch the outskirts of chennai you need more than 4/30hrs in my opnion, so how do you calculate?
It was done on Oct 2nd, 2006, on my Baleno. Running speed was 110~120kmph. Started from home at Chennai (near T Nagar) at 04:45AM. Touched 140kmph occasionally - but did not attempt to hold on to high speeds. Reached M G Road (Hotel Brindavan) at 09:00AM. Distance covered was 348km (point-to-point). Average speed turns out to 82kmph (Divide 348km by 4 and 1/4 hours). Well, the magic was the time and day on which I did this run - on 2nd Oct - which was a holiday. No traffic on the GQ. I was able to run a decent 110kmph up to Silk Board Junction!!!

You are right. Usually, I take about 04:00 hours from Electronic City to Poonamalle Junction - and the rest of run depends on the traffic conditions in Bangalore and Chennai.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:48   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the NHC is the woresssttt car to drive for a long distance. There is something seriously wrong in the drivers seat, there is barely an thigh support and you develop an acute leg pain when you drive for a long time. If you are above 5'8+ your in big trouble.
On the other hand, the backseat in the NHC is excellent so as long as the driver is driving i have no complaints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks