Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 11:09   #46
BHPian

I am considering the versa too as a "growth replacement" to our decade old Maruti 800 and a versa is one of the options. At first mom was hesitant about driving a "van", but once i took her for the test drive she is totally converted.

perhaps maruti could consider plonking the Diesel from their Swift into the versa?
Old 25th May 2009, 11:27   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

My Fair Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
the single best feature of the versa would be the engine+GB. It is an absolute hoot to drive except for the height, and the bumpy suspension. The car suffers from a complete lack of image which i think is one of the primary reasons for its failure.
I have one for five years now and have no intention to sell it because there's simply no car than can replace it.The worst part is its tough suspension which transmits all shocks to the occupants.Ride is better when the car is loaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I loved the Versa ever since it came out
Considering the options it has to offer, I must say there is nothing else that can beat this vehicle on the features and flexibility.
100% in agreement Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I am considering the versa too as a "growth replacement" to our decade old Maruti 800 and a versa is one of the options. At first mom was hesitant about driving a "van", but once i took her for the test drive she is totally converted.
perhaps maruti could consider plonking the Diesel from their Swift into the versa?
The Versa is as long as the Tata Indica Xeta - both measure 3675mm.But the Versa packs in much much more space in the same length.

Maruti should do the following:

1. Plonkthe K12M engine of the Ritz mated to the existing gear box of the Versa,
2.Plonk the 1.3 multijet as above as a diesel option
3.Rework the suspension to match the Qualis ride
4.Just provide sidesteps and full wheelcaps - that itself will change the looks of the car

Points 1,2 will qualify for excise sops(<1.2litre engine and <4m length) and Maruti will have a killer on their hands.

I have made a makeover(interior and exterior) of my Versa and she looks stunning now - cynosure of all eyes wherever she goes.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

1) The real problem with Versa is image and nothing else. The image is due to the poor looks that is nothing short of a van with very very awkward proportions.

2) People have looked at this car as a taxi car or a car that is economical to run. Those with large families are the potential customers for Maruti Versa, but the running cost is main deterrent in making decision.

3) The only way to improve the sales of this are is to plonk a diesel heart, and we know the fantastic diesel Maruti right now makes. This alone could transform the car into successful product and most of the business will come from taxi operators that are currently doing with vehicles cheaper than Tavera, etc. and surviving on Force Motor's products.

4) Suspension needs a thorough overhaul, along with some minor modifications in looks department. This will surely make Versa a good selling product.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:14   #49
BHPian

I love the Versa as it is. Looks or anything. Only downside is no diesel option. I will surely like to see it (or have it) with DDiS.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:32   #50
BANNED

I had heard earlier that Suzuki APV will come to India. Is it the center of talk here?
Attached Thumbnails
Any Maruti Versa lovers on-board?-thumbsuzuki_apv_1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 25th May 2009, 12:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

It will be a more MUV/SUV kind of look rather than the tallest boy design on the now defunct Versa. Engine options will be from the existing ones.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:58   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

V-16 are you there?chip in please
Old 25th May 2009, 13:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Versa needs the DDiS, so does the Gypsy ......
Old 25th May 2009, 13:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) The real problem with Versa is image and nothing else. The image is due to the poor looks that is nothing short of a van with very very awkward proportions.

2) People have looked at this car as a taxi car or a car that is economical to run. Those with large families are the potential customers for Maruti Versa, but the running cost is main deterrent in making decision.

3) The only way to improve the sales of this are is to plonk a diesel heart, and we know the fantastic diesel Maruti right now makes. This alone could transform the car into successful product and most of the business will come from taxi operators that are currently doing with vehicles cheaper than Tavera, etc. and surviving on Force Motor's products.

4) Suspension needs a thorough overhaul, along with some minor modifications in looks department. This will surely make Versa a good selling product.
+1 to that ! I seriously thought about the Versa before having to make do with the Omni.
Old 25th May 2009, 16:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I had heard earlier that Suzuki APV will come to India. Is it the center of talk here?

OT :
It was rumored that APV will come in 2008. The car never made it to India. I doubt if Maruti has real interest in launching this car.
IIRC, internationally this car comes with G16B from Baleno. The engine is quite efficient, but when it is asked to do duty in such a car with relatively poor aerodynamics and hauling luggage, the FE would go down for sure. Hence the car will again face the problem of running cost, and people would go else where for people carrier.

APV would need a diesel that is more powerful than the 1248cc fiat diesel on fixed geometry turbochager.

Rather than bringing in APV, what Maurti must do is make the Versa diesel available and price smartly. This would also attract personal users with large familier who had, till now, only one option in form of Innova. Xylo is the car diesel Versa must watch out for.

On a personal note, if Versa was available in diesel in 2005, we would have opted for that car. If still the diesel versa with medium frills like central locking and power windows is made available at around Rs. 5 lakh OTR, we would be interested as the car is really good as far city driving goes, mostly due to its high seating position.

So before APV, maruti should sort out Versa hassle and then bring in APV ( with 1.6 diesel ) and place it above Versa diesel.
Old 5th June 2009, 09:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Versa With Diesel??

I think Maruti sources the present diesel engines from Fiat, at least the ones used in Swift. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly, putting a diesel into the Versa will hike up its price by a couple of lakhs (the extra price of the diesel engine plus other engineering modifications to the vehicle to accomodate the larger weight/volume and NVH levels). Which to me doesn't make sense.

Right now even the top-end model (DX2) Versa sells for approx 5,50,000 on road in Mumbai. Nothing can beat it for the value and price it has.

The only spoilers I have noticed are the folding seat in the second row which provides access to the rear-most row, is not as firm as I would have preferred it to be. And the co-driver's seat cannot be moved back and forth.

If you are looking at a cheap diesel people mover, why not consider the Tata Ace?
Old 6th June 2009, 01:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Its a load carrying suzuki carry in other markets, sold here as a family van!Maruti wanted to pull a fast one on us... I am glad it failed.
Nothing wrong with being a load carrier. Even the 15 lakh Endeavour is based on a load carrier...Ranger pickup. So is Bolero and Omni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I used to think so but the success of the Innova proves that the van image doesn't matter so much for a personal car, even in the 12 lakh price point.
Old 8th June 2009, 11:42   #58

hey honeybee..

dont know why you say that the co-driver seat cant be moved back and forth. It very much can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I think Maruti sources the present diesel engines from Fiat, at least the ones used in Swift. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly, putting a diesel into the Versa will hike up its price by a couple of lakhs (the extra price of the diesel engine plus other engineering modifications to the vehicle to accomodate the larger weight/volume and NVH levels). Which to me doesn't make sense.

Right now even the top-end model (DX2) Versa sells for approx 5,50,000 on road in Mumbai. Nothing can beat it for the value and price it has.

The only spoilers I have noticed are the folding seat in the second row which provides access to the rear-most row, is not as firm as I would have preferred it to be. And the co-driver's seat cannot be moved back and forth.

If you are looking at a cheap diesel people mover, why not consider the Tata Ace?
Old 28th July 2013, 22:52   #59
BHPian

Re: Any Maruti Versa lovers on-board?

Sorry for jumping in 4 years after you people stopped discussing it. Maybe because of the Eeco launch, or maybe there are not many versas on the road, the heated arguments seem to have frozen off. Some people may have seen my thread on the long term review of my versa but i just could'nt help jumping into the fray here. Having done nearly ten years and 1.29 lac km on the odo my experience has been a mixture of sweet and not so sweet. As far as looks go it does look more like a bread bin on wheels, but what-a-bin, i have managed speeds touching 148+kmph on long stretches-and my best is 105 kms in 50 minutes flat. Thats an average speed of 126kmph for nearly an hour.

@dtgada. honeybee most probably meant about the sliding action of the co driver seat while you seem to be referring to the backrest reclining mechanism.

the storage space behind the 3rd row is tite, in fact too tight-so not much can go in there except a couple of compact cabin baggage.

Head lites are sore. They used to remind me of headlights of the bajaj chetaks and supers of yesteryears. Initially i switched over to halonix+60 bulbs of 100/90wattage with a relay system, but since they seemed to be taking a toll on the battery, have moved over to osram night breaker 60/55W. Result is not as good but i prefer a longer battery life.

Rest more to follow if somebody's listening

atul
ATUL SINGH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 11:25   #60
BHPian

Re: Any Maruti Versa lovers on-board?

That is really nice to hear about the entry level MPV, If I call it correctly
Could you please update on what was the maintenance cost that is involved and as usual the fuel efficiency?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks