Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2004, 23:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hey ya.Well,im exited to know bout this news......and to share it with ya guyz ofcourse.

Alrite,here`s the scoop.Met a source of mine who works for Mitsubishi,Japan.He was telling me that they are planning to launch a new model in India.They were considering a few options and have shortlisted on Evo 4,Evo 5,Galant and Colt.
They will be conducting a survey in the Indian market with the help of HM as to which ONE of these shud be launched.Which is the necessity in the present Indian market.

Evo4 and Evo5 shud be placed in the upper C-segment.
Galant in the D-segment,and
Colt in the B-segment.

Since the reputation of Mitsubishi is under stress worldwide,they do not want to rush up on anything.Even HM will be considering thier options and shud be able to make a firm decision by the end of this year.If everything goes as planned,they shud launch ONE of these variants by the 3rd quarter of 2005.
Never know if HM wud be reading this.It might just help.

I personally wud luuuv to see an Evo launch.Droool.....

gimme ur opinions as to wot do u think???

Ps : If MMC ever comes across this post,they wud seriously kill me......hehe. *
Old 22nd August 2004, 23:09   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

You mean the Lancer Evo IV and V. Though they are good and powerful cars they are still outdated. And i just hope that their Evo does not mean just adding a spoiler here and alloys there etc etc.
Whatever model they lauch i pray that they launch the latest ones and not decade old ones.
Old 22nd August 2004, 23:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even the present Lancer is nearly a decade old.I think all the scrapped out maal is for us Indians.Good disposal place uc.
Old 22nd August 2004, 23:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

maan ,

if MMC is really serious about getting the evo,gallant and the colt in india, they better drop HM as partners like a hot potato.

MMC wud be better off going alone ..we all know how HM has botched up a very capable lancer. the car had the looks , power , handling ...everything going for it ....and look where it is today ??

I think MMC better go for it alone ...wat do ya guys think ??

cheers
Old 22nd August 2004, 23:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

I dont get it... if u see the Indian lancer....its very much similar to the EVO 5 design.. without skirts, spoilers..etc..so why launch the EVO IV??? Galant is ok.. but i m hearing abt its launch since a very long time!!!
Old 23rd August 2004, 00:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (X-Machine @ Aug. 22 2004,21:34)]have shortlisted on Evo 4,Evo 5,
Will they be launched with an automatic gearbox?
Old 23rd August 2004, 02:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

I doubt Mitsubishi will come to India on their own. They're in financial trouble worldwide. If Mitsubishi is to survive, they'll have to launch a fuel efficient and cost efficient microcar. The newer EVOs will be too expensive and demand will be really limited. The EVO IV & V will have good power and can be sold at a lower price.
While their research is zero, I don't think HM has messed up the Lancer. Mitsubishi can't do too much with the losses they are facing. They're pulling out of WRC too.
Old 23rd August 2004, 13:36   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Plus if there are no kits available for the EVO 4 and 5 (being discontinued ages back), it will be cheaper for them to make available the EVO VIII. C'mon HM-Mitsubishi...make us your fans again!

GTO
Old 23rd August 2004, 13:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

I dont believe that MMC could even be thinking of an Evo IV. TO bring back a long defunct vehilce will cost the same if not more than introducing the current model, so maybe the person was mixed up between which Evo they were planning. It makes perfect sense to bring in the Evo 6 kits as they are now relatively inexpensive ( I wont call em cheap!) and the basis for the Evo 6 already exists in India.

Considering their other options though, I feel the Aussie Mitsu's would make a great car for India. Cars like th Diamante and Galant are good lookers and performers, and there's no reason why they shouldnt do well if priced right.

Rt
Old 24th August 2004, 00:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Even i wud luv to see the Evo VIII in action here.But the catch is that if they launch it,it wud be priced in the 14L-15L bracket.How many people will buy it leavin out the Accord,Vectra,Corolla etc....Verrry few.
According to my sorce they are plannin to launch the Evos or the Galant in the 11L-13L range.I think thats pretty affordable.....

Anyways,here are a couple of links regarding the Evo VIII launch and the new HM strategy.check em`.

http://web.mid-day.com/smd/play/2004/august/90596.htm

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/823880.cms
Old 24th August 2004, 00:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Stratos @ Aug. 22 2004,22:26)]I dont get it... if u see the Indian lancer....its very much similar to the EVO 5 design.. without skirts, spoilers..etc..so why launch the EVO IV??? Galant is ok.. but i m hearing abt its launch since a very long time!!!
Its the engine my friend.And to top it all its the name......EVOLUTION!!
People have souped up thier stock Lancers to churn out 200BHP plus.I`ve seen a few too many.
Imagine wot can u do to an engine which is already 200BHP plus.......woooo
Old 25th August 2004, 18:02   #12
gTr
BHPian

Wowee.i`ve been thirsting to see some evoS on indian soil.I guess its going to come true.Even,i`ve heard a few cases from HM.
they should be launching a newer version of the lancer in feb 2005 as to what i have heard.
laterz
Old 28th August 2004, 02:49   #13
BHPian

C'mon guys, get serious... the Lancer is seen as a luxury car for the chauffeur-driven sahab, and I really don't think adding an EVO in the end is gonna change that perception of folks here. The dudes have been reducing prices ever since the Lancer was introduced. Indians don't want performance, they want value for money. Can't be the EVOs, there's practically no market for them here... I agree with Aditya: if it happens, it's gotta be microcar. Or the hottest selling B-segment.

--oversteer--

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks