Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 14:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
I would not have been caught dead getting into a 2017 Venue, when it was launched.

Attachment 2531929

Come 2023, the new Venue is good enough that I went ahead and bought it.

Attachment 2531930
Honestly, except the grille everything else looks the same to me on the venue
Burgman_tales is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 15:13   #32
BHPian

The VW Polo. From a very vanilla boring design at the start to a very sporty but elegant design at the finish line, it was a timeless design with the right amount of facelifts making it look good.

Comparing a 2010 polo with a 2010 I20 and you will get the idea. Mine is a stunner in the Flash Red shade.

The Original
Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-20220222033711_polo1.jpg

The 2nd one
Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-new2014volkswagenpolo1.jpg

The final one
Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-img_6191.jpg

Last edited by Sierra__foxtrot : 17th November 2023 at 15:29.
Sierra__foxtrot is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 15:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Can we also have a post on how facelifts ruined good designs? I have a bone to pick with Hyundai.
We should have this. There are more examples of this, that I can come up with.
Somehow Hyundai always manages to mess up the whole design in their facelifts. The Elite i20 looked good before its facelift similarly the last Gen Verna looked better before its facelift.

There are facelifts and then there is the Toyota Innova, Toyota considers fitting a larger grill a facelift. Those engineers just slap on a new bumper maybe some chrome garnish here and there and call it a day.
Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-img_9938.jpeg

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-img_9939.jpeg

The good ones
Name:  IMG_9940.png
Views: 325
Size:  94.9 KB

The Skoda Rapid. As compared with those round shaped lights, the newer ones looked fresh. Rear end deserved more changes though.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th November 2023 at 06:49. Reason: Spacing
M_Poweredd_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 16:28   #34
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra__foxtrot View Post
The VW Polo. From a very vanilla boring design at the start to a very sporty but elegant design at the finish line, it was a timeless design with the right amount of facelifts making it look good.
While the Polo is a really elegant and timeless design, the so called facelifts were mostly sticker jobs. The car mostly looked the same as it did during initial launch. I'm glad that they finally retired it continuing to flog an almost dead horse.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 18:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
While the Polo is a really elegant and timeless design, the so called facelifts were mostly sticker jobs. The car mostly looked the same as it did during initial launch. I'm glad that they finally retired it continuing to flog an almost dead horse.
Polo would be my number one pick if this thread was to find "Car with most number of face lifts in it's lifetime" category.

Though Polo still looks fresh & classy somehow, I too can't agree that it got proper face lifts (look wise).
Asish_VK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 19:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
On the very first entry - the SCross - I have the exact opposite opinion. I LOVED the original look and never really managed to make peace with the facelift's grille. It just keeps reminding me of various types of fish.
Absolutely agree with you here. I don't like the grill on the facelift one bit and even time didn't heal that wound.

It's correctly summed as "polarising" in the review thread (Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift) as well.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 20:02   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
I think the Venue and the S-cross actually messed up during the facelifts. Both of them in the latest avatar are garish and poorly designed, the Sonet on the other hand is really well done.
Very true. The Venue looked classy in its original avatar. They have now overdone the front and become an eyesore.
A very competent vehicle though for a small family!
Old 17th November 2023, 22:09   #38
BHPian

A Manufacturer hitting it out of the park with a facelift? One can't look past the golden years of Fluidic design language introduced by Hyundai in India. Fluidic Verna in particular. Design of the 2011 Verna still looks fresh and did not look old one bit. Although the latest gen's styling has been debatable i still feel it has been another hit out of the park

I do have a soft spot for Verna as a owner of 2 generations
Attached Thumbnails
Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-verna-11.jpg  

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-verna-22.jpg  

amg5610 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 22:15   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

The prev gen i20 was a very good update compared to the original i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
I think the Venue and the S-cross actually messed up during the facelifts. Both of them in the latest avatar are garish and poorly designed, the Sonet on the other hand is really well done.
Definitely not the S-Cross. When the review of the first S-Cross came here, I remember posting a pic on how they could have done it better. The facelift one is sharp, and I have it on my first cut for a change of car scenario.

Last edited by condor : 17th November 2023 at 22:36.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 23:06   #40
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

How about this one? 👇

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-images-2-2.jpeg

First generation Suzuki Baleno

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-images-2-4.jpeg

Facelift

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-images-2-5.jpeg

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-images-2-6.jpeg
CarNerd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 23:32   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman_tales View Post
Honestly, except the grille everything else looks the same to me on the venue
Mostly skin deep improvements I agree with you, but a grill does make a lot of difference. Also, a much improved rear lighting setup, a lot more futuristic.
I don't know if my mindset changed, but the moment I saw the new Venue, I knew it would be the one.

The grill and also the colour. This red is slightly brighter than the maroon of the pre facelifted Venue.

The third major difference, which was inconsequential for me personally, was the alloy wheel design.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 23:36   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Among the worlds best selling sedans, the Toyota Corolla in its first avatar when launched in India about 20 years ago in 2003 was beautifully designed. The refreshed version was launched about five years later in 2008. This one was again refreshed in 2014 and it was hoped that Corolla Altis' sales would get a boost.

The designs appeared to have been bettered with every refreshed launch. But fate willed otherwise and the Altis production was stopped in 2020 alongwith their Etios and Liva models too.

They had in September 2022 launched a flexifuel version of the latest Corolla Altis, but maybe a handful of buyers will buy such a car.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 23:59   #43
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Ford Fiesta for me, from ugly to an Aston Martin on a budget-
Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-fiesta-ugly.jpg
Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-fordfiestafacelift01.jpg
Amrit@wheels is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 00:45   #44
BHPian

More often than not manufacturers ruin their cars with facelifts than making them better. This is especially true with Hyundai who hasn't got any facelift right after the Santro.

Most of the times these facelifts are about force-fitting the face/grille of a successful model onto one that is struggling to find buyers, where they look grossly out of place.

Contrary to popular opinion, I like the original faces of the S-Cross, Venue, Laura and Scorpio better than their desperate facelifts. A facelift is not about slapping on a fancy grille, its also about giving it a character. That is why subtle facelifts work better than complete overhauls.

PS: Never liked any of the fancy grilles that the Innova adorned during the last 20 years of existence. Front designs were never Toyota's forte, I suppose.
Old 18th November 2023, 03:22   #45
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Toyota-

The Innova was launched back in 2005 and became a hit with the masses. There were concerns initially due to the premium it commanded over the Qualis but Indians embraced the car and it has become a brand now. It is a car which doesn't look out of place when it is being used as a taxi nor when standing outside a 5 star hotel.

The Innova in its first generation, received 3 facelifts. And while the type 4 Innova polarised opinions with its huge grill which looked quite out of place on an MPV, the first 2 facelifts did make the exterior of the car look more palatable while also improving the interior opulence.

Innova type 1 with its bulbous almond shaped headlights and spartan interiors-

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-images-25.jpeg

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-images-30.jpeg

The Innova type 2 with reduced bulk at the front and improved interiors-

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-images-28.jpeg

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-images-29.jpeg

The Innova type 3 with redesigned headlamps elegant and palatable interiors-

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-1l.jpg

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-9l.jpg

Attaching a pic of all the variations of the 1st gen Innova-

Car manufacturers who hit it out of the park with their facelifts!-images-26.jpeg

Last edited by AYP : 18th November 2023 at 03:28.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed