Team-BHP - What's the most disappointing and the most surprisingly fun car you've driven this year?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   What's the most disappointing and the most surprisingly fun car you've driven this year? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/273975-whats-most-disappointing-most-surprisingly-fun-car-youve-driven-year-3.html)

Surprisingly fun cars to drive, My list:

Swift petrol, gen 3. I wanted a boring car for a day's use and rented this from Indusgo. It was Not boring. The tires chirped when accelerating in the 1st and 2nd gears. You didn't even have to dump the clutch. (Thinking back, it was a rainy day.) Same was the case with braking. I found the limits quite soon. But it was so consistent with those limits that I always felt in control. The throttle felt quick, the engine was rev happy while also being quite peppy in the low end. This surprised me as a loyal Honda fanboy since I believed all the fun is to be found after 6k Rpm.
Not a flawless car. Just surprised me.

Nano. It had no power steering, a 2 cylinder engine, and felt like I could tip it over if I wanted it to. I had zero expectations. And i drove it. Instantly promised myself that I'll never judge a car before I drive it. The car had enough grunt to climb every hill we faced. (5 adults on board. 6 at one point. All men of average weight and height.) It was so communicative you knew what it was doing at all times. An A/C that worked well. I didnt give the keys to anyone after the first drive. I remember calling my father after driving the nano for a whole day and telling him how good it felt to drive. Sigh. Mechanical connect seems to be what I'm looking for in my cars. And it is that exact thing that we're slowly doing away with.

There are bikes too. The dominar that I thought was too heavy blew me away the first time I rode it. Then slowly got tiring due to vibes and clutch in traffic. Adv 390 with how surprisingly maneuverable it was despite me not being able to touch the ground even. Cb 300r was supposed to be a flop. But when it stood on its rear wheel during a test ride scenario, I decided to buy one. Still haven't materialised. I pray to God every day to not let it go out of the market by the time I'm able to put my money down. Finally, the interceptor. It literally blew me away. Am still alive because I held on to the rider for dear life. When I rode it after, felt substantial and powerful. I loved it. Never ignoring bikes because of their weight ever again.

Disappointing cars. My list:

In order of increasing disappointment,

XUV 700. The disconnect. No other reason. The power was good. Gearbox was great. But you felt far off the road. It's a personal preference. I'm sure many people love that isolated feeling. Also, the ADAS pulled me back into my lane mid overtake. Which was a little sketchy.

Thar 1.5 2WD. I wanted to see what the hype was about. And since I was hearing words like butch and macho thrown around, I thought it wouldn't hurt to drive the 2WD to get that feel. But boy. I was extremely distracted by the fact that this diesel engine could stall. It stalled on the ramp out of the showroom parkingand while getting out of a pothole in traffic. And I was feeling embarrassed at one point since since I had my friends on board complaining about the bumpy ride. I didn't like the experience as a whole. I'm sure it's a good car. I'm not macho or butch enough to lug it around. I'd rather have a little brio and dart around these behemoths.

i20 N line DCT. I was adamant on testing this "hot-hatch" because in my view there has not been attempts like this since the Baleno RS? The test drive turned out to be a dull affair that made me turn back after 2 kms. The brakes were good. Ride was ok. (Note: I couldn't explore high speed manners). The throttle response tho. SLOWWW. I wonder if it was in some eco mode or something. There was lag before shifting gears, before the engine started revving and overall, the car felt lethargic. The supposedly boring Honda city that we got brand new for a price less than the N line (10.45 otr) is super snappy with the throttle and more engaging.

Urban Cruiser Hyrider 1.5 MT. The most boring car I've ever driven. My 110 cc scooter gives me more confidence while overtaking large lorries. Downshift once, downshift twice, the car doesn't care.

On the bikes list, there is the rc 200. Unrefined and crass was what I thought after riding it. Jawa 42. Same feelings. Unrefined, unpolished. Himalayan too could have been better. Each Himalayan I've used felt like different vehicles entirely. The rtrs. 160 is too gutless. 200 could be more refined after 70. FZs 150, Gutless. Lethargic even.

Honestly, most cars just about met expectations when I drove them. Like the city, bolero, ignis, VAG twins. Manage my expectations to be happy is my takeaway from these experiences.

I drive a 2016 Polo 1.2 MPI. Out of curiosity, I went to the VW showroom and tried the 1 ltr Virtus. As the usual test rides go, it was a rather short 5 km spin on mostly lightly congested roads. I tried to stretch its legs a little but not very successfully, majorly I stayed around and under 2 - 2500 rpm. I must say, I did not come out very impressed. Polo to me is the epitome of car engineering and product design in its segment. Virtus 1 ltr fell short of my expectations. Under 2k rpm performance was not impressive and while the car had all the bells and whistles a modern car deserves, it did not wow me with anything in specific. It felt more like trying to do a lot but mastering none. I'm yet to try the 1.5 ltr one. Perhaps that will blow my socks off.

There are fun cars and then there are "surprisingly" fun cars...

The Polo GT is a very good example of one back from the day. I was pleasantly surprised with the Sonet with the turbo & DCT more recently.