Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy one?
yes 46 24.73%
no 140 75.27%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2007, 15:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes and even if Honda launches the Hybrid Civic - I would not buy it. Instead I would get myself a bicycle and pedal away saving precious road space.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:20   #32
BHPian

Honda to offer India's first hybrid car

link -> Honda to offer India's first hybrid car-India Business-Business-The Times of India

Honda Siel Cars will launch its and India's first hybrid car - the Honda Civic hybrid - on June 18 in Delhi market. The car will run on electricity as well as petrol.

"It will be available at all our 80 dealersips across the country for test drive on the same day," said Masahiro Takedagawa, president and CEO of Honda Siel Cars India Ltd. He said, while the company does not expect to sell more than 300-400 cars in the first year, the idea is to give its Indian customers an experience of the car.

The hybrid car, which will be imported from its Suzuka factory in Japan, will cost over Rs 20 lakh ex-showroom, post an import duty of 104 per cent, said Takedagawa, after inaugurating Pride Honda, the company's second dealership in Hyderabad.
Old 30th May 2008, 02:00   #33
BHPian

Its the duties that make me never even think of buying it.

Civic is not a car worth that price, i am amazed at the attitude honda sells its cars with in India, they are nothing short of snobs.

I must admit that i love their cars minus the new city.

I also hate them for a very good reason.

They have a habit of discontinuing/changing the models i like the most, they did it with OHC and with the Integra coupe.

I wish we had the OHC would have saved me so much trouble searching researching (i have read others on the forum have the same rant)
Old 14th June 2008, 10:18   #34
BHPian

Civic Hybrid - Will this be the next luxury segment best seller?

Guys,Just got the news that Civic HYBRID to be arriving at showroom in NCR on july 1, The car is said to give 30kmpl and is priced at 17lac ex showroom,As the civic is already popular and rising amount of fuel prices,will this be a success in india?Will people buy a civic at the price of the accord?

source:Prime honda

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th June 2008 at 11:43. Reason: HYDRID = HYBRID
Old 14th June 2008, 11:18   #35
BANNED

Great Moment in India

Great Moment in Indian Car History !!

Honda Siel Cars India will launch the Civic hybrid on the 18th of June in Delhi.
The car will be available at all eighty Honda dealerships across the country for a test drive on the very same day.

The car will be imported as a CBU from Honda’s Suzuka factory in Japan, and will cost over Rs 20 lakh ex-showroom, due the 104 percent import duty. The company does not expect to sell more than 400 cars in the first year of its going on sale.

Honda announces Civic hybrid launch date CarWale.com Blog

Quote:
Request to MODS & noidaboy: If noidaboy doesn't have any objection, can the title be changed to,

Last edited by diabloo : 14th June 2008 at 11:25.
Old 14th June 2008, 12:07   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

@over 20L ex showroom, they can forget about it.
It may give 30kmpl but people would rather buy a normal civic and spend the extra 7-8L on gas or get a much better car altogether.
Old 14th June 2008, 12:15   #37
BHPian

Govt. Should do something about the Hybrid cars. They should lower the duties and the excise duty (for the domestic manufactures) so that these cars can become affordable and popular resulting in reducing our oil consupmtion.

They should also lower the excise duties (and abolish the Rs. 15000 hike) on cars giving 25 kmpl mileage like the Verna, Dzire, Logan, Fiesta Diesel etc. This can bring some respite to the Oil import bill.
Old 14th June 2008, 12:20   #38
BHPian

Agreed! But Cars giving 25KMPL Mileage?!?!
Or am I reading this wrong?
Old 14th June 2008, 12:39   #39
BANNED

I won't be surprised if the sales are double the target .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It may give 30kmpl but people would rather buy a normal civic and spend the extra 7-8L on gas or get a much better car altogether.
Old 14th June 2008, 12:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It can be a niche segment, and not sell solely because of the FE figures (30kmpl sounds good but does not justify the extra 7-8 lacs). I believe Honda would be able to sell 400 cars a year... why?

1. It's a new technology, the first in India. There are people who are willing to spend that kind of money for the Honda brand and the technology involved.

2. The Hybrid has much better low-end torque because of it's electric motor and makes it much easier to drive in the City.

3. It's more eco-friendly (general perception), think that can appeal to someone who wants to make a statement (like a celeb) about being eco friendly.
Old 14th June 2008, 12:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

On Monday morning i saw around 2-3 Hybrid Civic driving into Hotel Shanghai, Ashoka Road.

How i recognized them as Hybrid, big stickers on doors were shouting "Hybrid". At that moment i thought, it might be some Honda conference ongoing in the hotel, but now after reading the news of the launch it's confirmed its going to launch !!

Couldn't click pictures, being my driver on half yearly leave, i was driving the car !!
Old 14th June 2008, 13:24   #42
BHPian

A stupid question: What fuels does this car run on?
Old 14th June 2008, 14:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Great Moment in Indian Car History !!
erm.. Why? Did Honda invent an alternative to the IC engine?

I have read that in order to increase the milage, the tyres on the hybrid have lesser tread compared to my bathroom slippers.

Last edited by spadival : 14th June 2008 at 14:25.
Old 14th June 2008, 14:45   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I appreciate your enthusiasm, Diabloo and it indeed is a special moment for a hybrid to be officially launched in India.

However, hybrids are too expensive to become best sellers. Period. Considering that the Civic is not really a luxury car, and that the Accord is right up there in the same price band, I doubt the Civic Hybrid will become a best seller.

Honda is launching the Civic hybrid for marketing purposes; to boost its image as a green / fuel-efficient brand. And the customers that buy it will do for image / similar reasons too. No one is going to save any money running the Civic hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
A stupid question: What fuels does this car run on?
No such thing as a stupid question on Team-BHP. A hybrid car, by definition, means a car that has two or more sources of power. The Civic hybrid has a 1.3 liter petrol engine (up front) alongwith an electric motor / generator (at the back). The combined BHP rating is in the vicinity of 110 horses.

Since you are unfamiliar with hybrids, I highly recommend this read : Linky.
Old 14th June 2008, 14:48   #45
BANNED

Its indeed a great moment - an hybrid graces India soil for the first time in history !!! and that too a Honda. Don't throw spanner man .
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
erm.. Why? Did Honda invent an alternative to the IC engine?
What a lame excuse to put down a hybrid !!! I guess many think alike - so there are no tax benefits for hybrids in India.
Quote:
I have read that in order to increase the milage, the tyres on the hybrid have lesser tread compared to my bathroom slippers.

Last edited by diabloo : 14th June 2008 at 14:49.

Most Viewed