yes 46 24.73%
no 140 75.27%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 12:01   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
23 lacs ? And Honda says the 104% duty is to blame and they have asked the govt. to waive off the import duty !

My question is - if the govt waives off the full import duty, will Honda offer the Hybrid at 10.5 lacs ex-showroom ? If that happens I will believe that Honda is really bothered about the environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
OT: U.S is asking China to remove subsidies on fuel to discourage people from using fossil fuels. I hope they do this to India too.
First the US should remove subsidies in US and request other countries. Its known that the majority of consumption of fossil fuels is in US.

If the govt waives off the full import duty. Be rest assured Honda wont sell the Civic @ 10.5 Lacs ex-showroom. It would be something like 13-15 lacs ex-showroom. They will bet a bigger margin on the hybrid, since the numbers sold will always be less than the regular civic
Old 19th June 2008, 12:10   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

This obviously is nothing more than a PR stunt by Honda. You will soon be seeing full page ads and TV commercials about how all the bugs and bees love Honda cars. Isn't it ironical that all the "green" campaigns are promoted by Oil and Auto companies!

I don't think it is right to expect the government to cut duties on imported hybrids. Benefits are only meant for what is manufactured in India. Government does offer lot of sops to alternate source of energies: you get fabulous depreciation for windmill equipments, you get sops if you use solar water heaters at home, etc.

If Honda genuinely cares about environment then a country such as ours which is crazy about FE can definitely provide enough demand for their Hybrid cars.
Old 19th June 2008, 13:09   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
It came in today's Times of India, Already about 100 'Prominent people and some company people' have booked the Civic Hybrid. It seems "This car is for the rich who feel the need to go green"........ @#$%$!@
So, this denotes that one has to be rich to save the environment !
Old 19th June 2008, 13:09   #109
BHPian

I don't blame Honda for the pricing. The pricing of the car is in US is comparable to that of a mid-trim level Camry, at about $22k. Camry also comes here as CBU and pricing is similar if not more.

However govt can definitely consider lower duty structures (may be a 50% discount) for hybrid technology and this will help Honda to price it in the range of a petrol Accord (Rs 17-19lacs).
Old 19th June 2008, 13:16   #110
Senior - BHPian

This is ridiculous pricing by Honda. I'd rather splurge 16 lacs on the Laura, and use up the rest 3-4 lacs on fuel. Heck, that'll work out even cheaper.

X
Old 19th June 2008, 13:18   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
So, this denotes that one has to be rich to save the environment !
Ofcourse, since the govt taxes anything greener heavily.
Old 19th June 2008, 13:28   #112
BANNED

Thats Made in India. Civic Hydrid is Made in Japan - imported stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
I'd rather splurge 16 lacs on the Laura, and use up the rest 3-4 lacs on fuel. Heck, that'll work out even cheaper.

X
Old 19th June 2008, 14:15   #113
Senior - BHPian

In a way, we encourage companies to build environment friendly cars and Govt discourages us by imposing heavy duty..

BUT still, Honda could have built the Civic here and put it as 13-14L. To me this really seems to be a publicity stunt by Honda rather than a serious concern.. Its a joke to get hybrid which only creamy layer can afford.. And then the so called creamy layer will go to Merc/BMW for snob value instead putting 24-25L on Honda...
Old 19th June 2008, 14:25   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Its time the Indian govt dramatically reduces/abolished import duty for eco-friendly vehicles. BTW - hats off to Honda for being the first manufacturer to launch a hybrid in India
Old 19th June 2008, 14:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Its time the Indian govt dramatically reduces/abolished import duty for eco-friendly vehicles. BTW - hats off to Honda for being the first manufacturer to launch a hybrid in India
And I thought Scorpio is the first vehicle as hybrid in India... hmmm seems Hybrid scorpio is not in production but a conept
Old 19th June 2008, 14:30   #116
Senior - BHPian

300 People buying a civic hybrid will not help the environment in any way. The number should exceed a lakh to make any kind of noticable difference.
Old 19th June 2008, 17:38   #117
Senior - BHPian

Honda in US just launched FCX Clarity and is a fuel cell car. The fuel is : just filling in Hydrogen. So Honda does care about environment. But Honda's attitude about our country is not good. As someone has pointed out, if 104% duty is removed, then also Honda wont sell 10.5lakh Honda Civic.

Here in India they are able to enjoy the image that very few manufacturers are lucky to get. My point that launching a Civic hybrid in India is nothing more than publicity stunt.
Old 19th June 2008, 18:10   #118
BANNED

Setting up factory, building expertise, & training staff in India on hybrids takes time. There is a market for hybrids in India and hence Honda has introduced hybrids here. Due to tax the cost is high - it will come down when locally manufactured here. But that will take time.

Hybrid Civic at 10.5 Lakhs? Why not? In fact it might be priced lower than that !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
But Honda's attitude about our country is not good. As someone has pointed out, if 104% duty is removed, then also Honda wont sell 10.5lakh Honda Civic.
Old 19th June 2008, 18:22   #119
BHPian

The pricing of the Civic Hybrid leaves lot to be desired :(
IMHO, for emerging markets a City sized Hybrid with a regular civic like price would do the trick.... If that happens then even aam admi like me can afford one and that would actually go a long way in saving the planet
Old 19th June 2008, 18:28   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
training staff in India on hybrids takes time.
I think they have already trained staff to service the Hybrid Civic that will be sold. So this is at least not the issue. I think that CR-V is also CBU( if wrong, correct me ) and is it locally manufactured ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks