Team-BHP - Alto LXI
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Alto LXI (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2744-alto-lxi.html)

Any drinving test/experience on Alto LXI. Planning to use only in City. Would like to know mainly on power/AC?

Don't know much.....
I have a 800DX 5 gear (which has same engine as Alto Lxi)
I have a Alto Vxi (which has same ac)

Now if I think of combining the 2...
I don't think 800s engine is powerful enough to comfortably pull the Alto with that bulky a/c and 150kgs heavy alto's body.

Apart from this Alto is a better car than the 800 in all respects.

So I'd suggest to go test drive... the car with family... and drive it.. with a/c and 4 adults in there. Then u'd be a better judge.

the alto 800 is definitely a more better and safer car than the m800.
but still ........y dont u try the base wagon r or the base xing.

Topic moved from Team-BHP reviews. Please maintain only reviews and testdrives in that section. Requests should be put forth here.

GTO

My girl has a silver-gray 2002 (i think) LXi. The first time I drove that, I loved the quick response, quick accel, and hard brakes. The steering is smooth and responsive. The car does feel a little cramped up when compared to the Zen, but i guess its cheaper for that reason - its placed in a segment earlier than the Zen. The suspension was a bit hard, but that didn't really cause as much discomfort as it may sound.

The AC is powerful enough, but I think the temp goes up very fast after its turned off (and blower kept on). Maybe it had something to do with the actual outside temperature, as I didn't have any means of benchmarking. I think my Zen AC keeps it cool for a little longer. I think.

Overall a very drivable car. Not like I've driven a lot of cars - only my zen, her alto, matiz, indica, city 1.5, astra, qualis, and of course, the lancer..

I like it.

- Aalaap

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I have a 800DX 5 gear (which has same engine as Alto Lxi)
I have a Alto Vxi (which has same ac)

Now if I think of combining the 2...
I don't think 800s engine is powerful enough to comfortably pull the Alto with that bulky a/c and 150kgs heavy alto's body.

Isnt Alto's bhp/torque supposed to be better than 800?

Alto LXi with 800 cc engine, its a good car wrt reliability, build, safety and comfort.

Little sluggish when AC "ON" and 4 people, then again once you get the hang of the power band, you can manage well for city use. AC is definitely GOOD.

Good buy for the money, its selling HOT so chances of getting discounts are limited (at least in bangalore).

I would like to have it as a Second or Third car for commutation in the city. And make mine black

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Isnt Alto's bhp/torque supposed to be better than 800?

Correct. Initially after the mpfi days Maruti had launched the 800 with a 12 valver and 5 speed gearbox. But to keep costs lower and for product differentiation, the Alto is the only one to sport the 12V/5 speed config.

The 800 is back to the 4 speed gearbox with 2 valves per cylinder.

GTO

yup
the 800 lost its 5 speeder engine...
when i sold off my 800 i went to have a look at it but it was no longer there so i decided to chuck havin another car which would be used by me as i had wanted to use the palio only on weekends...

the Alto Lxi has the 12 Valve F8D engine....thats the one that came on the 5 speed 800 .....

the car is a good buy if u need a small hassle free car....and with maruti's after sales support generally(there ARE some MASS's that are real Cons!) really good...nothing can go wrong

engine wise it's kinda sluggish as compared to the M800 5 speed...this probably has to do with the heavier weight and the talller final drive ratio (i am not sure abt this one...i think so...correct me if i am wrong)...but i think it holds on to it's own in the city....it's nimble and a point and shoot kinda car...so driving it isnt much of an hassle

....the AC is chilling cool...an probably the best one in the segment...as far as living space goes...there's a small issue as the boot is bigger and the dashboard deeper...so it's kinda a tight fit for 4 adults....if u generally drive alone or with one person...i dont think there's much of a problem as u can always push the seats behind.

As far as a city car...it's really a nice little car....IMHO does it's job well...i might even say better than the M800..... and well it's a much more *modern* car...than the zen and of course the M800 ....

...well people may argue that the zen is a better car....but seriously...this is the year 2004 ..... ;-) it's too old and outdated....and well in anycase....the alto is a safer car in case of a crash! well i am ALSO a BIG zen fan....but i guess it's not a wise decisions to buy a *new* zen when u can get a safer, and modern car for less especailly if u need a car which u "drive to travel" and not the other way round ;)