Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2004, 17:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

does anyone know if the uno came with this specs when it was introduced in india...

1372cc (80.5x67.4mm) turbocharged four cylinder with 118bhp @ 6,000rpm
top speed 206 kmph and 0-100kmph in 8.3seconds
source :- www.carsfromitaly.com

cos uno was available with this engine in other parts of the world....
and if it was its surely a jhatka for vtec owners...
Old 2nd September 2004, 19:11   #17
BHPian

what crap

earlier uno's infact were even more sluggish, thats why they had an updated carb later on

the Uno GT/Turbo made abroad, was the same engine 1.0 turbocharged 100bhp 2 door only, very popular in countries like south africa

but all claims of it being sold here all crap
Old 2nd September 2004, 20:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Godspeed @ Sep. 02 2004,17:41)]the Uno GT/Turbo made abroad, was the same engine 1.0 turbocharged 100bhp 2 door only, very popular in countries like south africa
the uno varient 70ie and turbo sold after 1989 had 1372cc engines .
Old 3rd September 2004, 15:34   #19
BHPian

opps..yeah ur right 1.3
Old 5th September 2004, 04:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey ported head , ask tr friend to give his car number and we will trace it.
end all mystries here.

Old 8th September 2004, 02:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]ask tr friend to give his car number and we will trace it.
Done. MH-03-S-8909. Should be somewhere in Thane. Let the search begin.
Old 6th July 2005, 01:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
Somedays back in college a friend and i were talking about his previously owned cars, when we came upon his Fiat UNO. Both fans of the UNO, we got talking to the point where he told me that his UNO would do '120 kmph in 2nd gear' At which point i stopped talking. That's right, you may want to read that again, because i sure as hell didn't believe it. And confirmed about 57 more times, before i let him go home. Apparently, his car was number 400 of 400 cars imported right from Italy, no indiginisation whatsoever. His car ran Weber carbs and was full of Lancia badging under the hood. I can't seem to find much on the web, but am still looking. The UNO shifted to Mikuni carbs in 1999, this was around 1996. So if somebody can confirm or cn shed any sort of light i'd be more than grateful. Bloody Unbelievable. This guy usually knows what he's talking about, so i took his word this time.
I own a Uno though a 1242 CC Petrol and not a weber one...but the weber had a terrible flat spot and the car used to take a long time to pick up speed..thats why they shifted to mikuni....of course later they also tinkered with the AC mounting as it was initially mounted on the cylinder head and used to whine like a spoilt child....
Owing a uno for 5 years.. I have done reasonable amount of research on teh web anc can confirm that Fiat NEVER imported any Turbo Uno in India...even in diesel only siena had thisluxury while uno had to make do with natural aspiration.
Old 6th July 2005, 13:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

I doubt a Weber carb Uno can do such speeds. But rest assured the car is smooth as ever. I recently met a friend with a 1,35,000 kms run Fiat Uno with Weber carb and he just placed a glass of water on the dash after cranking up the engine and I did not see ripples on water @ idling speed. The flat spot of these cars can be overcome just by replacing a diaphragm in the carb..(Not sure which)... All Uno's sold in India have Lancia badges.. (Check the emboss on the blocks for details) ... all major components are Italian with the electricals manufactured by Magnetti Marelli.. The Uno 1.2 came with SPFI (single injector) and is faster than the Palio 1.2 in acceleration.. I appreciate the boot space the car offers and the visibility which helps in better manoeuverability though the car is boxy it came with a 5 year anti-corrosion warranty from Fiat and is sturdier than many hatchbacks even today...When I overhauled the Weber carb it just took me 15 minutes to dismantle and reassemble the carb ... its that simple!!! There is a Fiat Uno Turbo Diesel lying at the Kurla plant which offers 86bhp!
Old 16th August 2008, 17:33   #24
BHPian

Hi guys,

i own a 1997 model fiat Uno 1.0 ltr FIRE.

My car too comes with a Weber 32 TLF carb. this is probably the most famous of the weber carbs. but i honestly doubt that his car did 120 in 2nd gear.

Fiat launched 3 engines for the uno in india.

the 1.0 ltr FIRE
the 1.7ltr Diesel
and the 1.2 Ltr (mpfi) unit.

none of these 3 engines would do 120 in second gear.

but even my car has a lot of the original parts on it. I dont believe it came per se from Lancia. this is because fiat shared parts across its companies.
lot of the fiat parts suppliers were owned by fiat itself. all the electricals on my car are made by magnetti marelli (like what u see on Ferrari F1), also all my meters are made by veglia.

but the engine its a throughbred FIAT engine. the FIRE which is what your friend most likely has stand for Fully Integrated Robotised Engine. this was made only by fiat. the engine design everything was done by fiat. great engine it is. even today this will kick a santro or a spark or 800 or estillos butt.

cheers

Sharan
Old 16th August 2008, 18:43   #25
BHPian

maybe it had a 1.6 turbocharged palio motor
Old 17th August 2008, 00:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

I don't even remember how many years back this was. A wild goose chase none the less. Better sense has prevailed since, and I call it a hoax.

Thank you gentlemen. This thread is now closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks