Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 14:34   #61
BHPian

Great Write-up Sid.

I think it was mentioned as "ideal" requirements, which i think translates to "general" requirements for majority of women folk. I did (we should) read the whole essay in that context, it makes a superb - what to buy guide !!

Cheers
Old 1st August 2010, 15:00   #62
BHPian

Very nice write and to the point. Hope many guys and girls would benefit from this.
However, I would like to mention that most of the girls I've seen driving in Delhi prefer, big cars mostly sedans or premium B+ segments hatchbacks, Punto, Ritz, i10, swift seems to be famous among girls. And in sedans it seems to be Honda city followed by Linea and few others.
But, I agree that this article holds true to each word when we take into account driving pattern of women drivers.
Old 1st August 2010, 15:16   #63
BHPian

Budget is sometimes a factor, if not, many women seem to prefer the automatic. Well at least that seems to be the trend these days. My guess is that some prefer smaller versions because they are easy to park and handle.
Old 1st August 2010, 16:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up Sid.
I have to teach a lady to drive sooner or later - and I guess my i10 AT would have been the perfect car to start with.
But I believe everyone should learn driving on a MT car ( I realize this as now I am less than confident driving a MT car, as I have learnt driving in AT and have always driven AT cars) - and on a budget, the new alto K10 should be a nice one.

But in US, I have seen more women driving suv/ x over / minivans than men. Men prefer sedans / coupes / roadsters / even hatchbacks!
I queried on this to a few of my colleagues, and they stated that women actually feel safe inside those big cars.
But urban India is a different ballgame, and compact hatch is the solution - men or women alike.
Old 1st August 2010, 17:52   #65
Team-BHP Support

Black Asta,
I think you and me got our i10s almost at the same time and both were ATs.
I still remember some of the posts which mentioned: Its raining ATs here!

As you mentioned Sid, I10 AT is the best available today as an option "for her".
Again as you said if one can afford, one should take the Sportz compared to Magna. I did just that.

My wife from being a frightened starter, now is an OK driver who takes errands around the locality.
The first signs of maturing: When she said, "I notice that when I press the gas it does not go as fast as you expect it to"

Then I realized, she has come of age !

But yes I10 Sportz AT is best option without need for any additions, if you want one for your wife, and one which would
be driven in the city.
Old 1st August 2010, 19:19   #66
BHPian

Excellent write up sidindica. I agree, the i10 auto seems to be the best buy for womenfolk!
Old 1st August 2010, 19:55   #67
Team-BHP Support

Need to watch out for the A-Star AT also. When is the release planned?
(Or its already released?, If yes any TD reports?)
Old 1st August 2010, 19:59   #68
BHPian

Stop stereotyping Automatics as something for women or old people guys.I too got the i10 AT in the hopes that my dad would find it less challenging.In the end I ended up loving it a lot and find manual shifting too primitive save for the better mileage.
Whats more funny is that my dad doesn't even find the AT easy to drive and we have a driver for him! Point being if some doesn't seem to like driving,it wouldn't matter in most cases whether it is an AT or MT.
Old 1st August 2010, 21:09   #69
BHPian

Sidindica,

while i appreciate your write up, my wifes first reaction was - "does he expect women to only want to drive small cars??"

And id like to second her on this one! While it is true that most cars sold in India are the small ones, it doesn't necessarily mean that women only want small cars. I can tell you that some of the most desired ones by women are

1. Mercedes C Class
2. Honda CRV
3. Volkswagen Beetle
4. Honda City/Civic
5. Many big SUV's like The Audi Q5, Landcruiser, Pajero etc

Just a thought here. Pl feel free to object!
Old 1st August 2010, 21:46   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Seems like you've assumed that women would not enjoy driving anything bigger than a Figo? Why? I see them driving just about everything under the sun so I'm not sure what exactly constitutes the concept of "all round"?

I see women driving Scorpios & Safaris too & some of them enjoy it simply because visibility is better & people don't mess around.
1. Visibility is better
2. Mostly people don't mess around

These are two very important parameters for every driver including ladies

Moreover, I fail to understand the "Light Vehicle" concept with P.S in most vehicle what is the connection of light/heavy, please i know i am missing something

Help me
cheers
Old 1st August 2010, 21:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

This was just a start. Typical average Indian working woman with a budget of max 5.5 lakh was my criteria. I mentioned in the disclaimer-exceptions are always there.
Old 1st August 2010, 22:00   #72
Team-BHP Support

Another car that I would love to see in this section would be the i20 AT and if Honda does it, Jazz AT!
(But yes these are for the next segment).
Old 1st August 2010, 22:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

My ex had a mother who refused to drive anything but an SUV. Always chose the Safari over the other cars in the house.
Old 1st August 2010, 22:41   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Very true! Its not rare to see ladies driving around in their SUVs!
Very True, My Sis just picked up a Xylo today. at 8 Lac she had many options but Xylo is what she wanted and all I got was to choose the colour and the first drive.
Old 1st August 2010, 23:01   #75
BHPian

ladies love the beetle. my colleague went to test drive a Polo and fell in love with the beetle :P

Most Viewed