Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 15:45   #61
BHPian

I called Honda dealer to book a Vtec. I was told there is very limited choice of colours available since Honda has shut down production of Vtec for 1.5 months. Reason - to meet high demand for Civic.

May be true since I see too many Civic's on road these days. Or are they

1) trying to correct skidding issue, provided it is genuinely a problem. I personally found Vtec braking to be very effective

2) Planning to add features like ABS?

Anyway disappointing. Looks like 'll have to settle for GXi now
Old 17th August 2007, 16:16   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
Anyway disappointing. Looks like 'll have to settle for GXi now
Looks like you only choose between Hondas.
Old 17th August 2007, 16:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

Well if you can afford the vtec, why not look at the Cedia select... way better car for same money.
Old 17th August 2007, 21:19   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh99 View Post
NHC has the most accurate Odo and Speedo in it's class.
Didn't you read Autocar mag where they mentioned speedo errors in NHC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh99 View Post
Agree the SX4 ZXi has "balloons" ( Airbags ) and " Microchip brakes" ( ABS ) but it took MUL 3.5 years , solely out of desperation to come up a competitor and it will take few months for NHC with balloons and microchip brakes with smoke the SX4.
"NHC coming up soon with ABS & Airbag" is just gossip - show me a link where it is mentioned .

Even this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-vtec-gxi.html) started with saying ABS & Airbags will be available by June, but then moved to Diwali and now no news if it will be available even by Diwali.

Even if they are planning to come up with safety features now, why did they wait all these days? Being segment leader, they should have come up with it already (Remember! Even before SX4 was introduced, Verna had ABS and still Honda kept quiet)

Alright, lets get back to context of this thread.

Are we all agreeing that skidding & wheel lock up at nominal speed (60 kmph) is not common across all cars with no-ABS?

Then there is serious issue with NHC VTEC. Even if this particular case is considered to be a rare one, still Honda service engineers checked Amit's car and they declared there is no issue with braking system - which means wheel lock up is so called 'standard feature' (not optional ) in NHC VTEC???

Last edited by sathya_nars : 17th August 2007 at 21:21.
Old 18th August 2007, 12:25   #65
BHPian

Whatever happened to brake modulation, and engine braking ! When required to brake hard you dont just step on it ,...you pump it , and down shift real quick.

Instead of slamming Suzuki or Honda, lets look at all that could be going wrong here.

a) These cars get thouroughly tested in all driving conditions (irrespective of Suzuki or Honda) , a genuine design defect of this magnitude would definitely show up, cos laws of physics manifests itself consistantly.

b) Any car, is only as good as the person behind the wheel. (I am not trying to be-little the problem by the thread starter). As it take a while for one to get used to the entire driving dynamics of a new car. I took over 6 months to get comfy with my Honda.

c) Panic situations demand utmost composure and skill while handling a car. Reccomend you find a secluded spot to try braking hard and steering at the same time to get a feel of what it takes to react, and do the right thing. keep in mind you can lock your wheel even as low as 20 kmph.

Easy does it some times,..force not always !!!

Last edited by Torque-ative : 18th August 2007 at 12:32.
Old 18th August 2007, 12:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Even if they are planning to come up with safety features now, why did they wait all these days? Being segment leader, they should have come up with it already (Remember! Even before SX4 was introduced, Verna had ABS and still Honda kept quiet)
Thats because Verna despite having the diesel advantage never challenged NHC sales. And if the SX4 sales taper off to an average of about 1500-2000 units per month, I am sure Honda will abandon ABS and Airbags for NHC. They are taking ruthless advantage of the Indians reverance of their badge.
Old 19th August 2007, 15:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
They are taking ruthless advantage of the Indians reverance of their badge.
Exactly this is my point too.
Old 19th August 2007, 17:37   #68
BHPian

On this count, (ABS and / or Airbags ) every manufacturer is guilty for not offering these as an option. Ford with their Fiesta / Fusion, Hyundai with their Verna, Honda with the NHC (both IDSI and VTec).

But for me, the worst offender on this count is TATA. Because they do offer it on the Indicas in the South African market. Which means, the technology, know-how and the infrastructure is there, but they choose not to provide the option to the Indian customers.

With the other manufacturers, I assume and accept that these are foreign automobile majors and will, by default, take Indian consumers for granted. But coming from TATA, its inexcusable.

w.r.t. NHC, I don't think Honda is going to introduce ABS / Airbags on the NHC until they realise lack of these features is hurting sales. This may be in the next three months, or one year down the road. Existing brand value will continue to bring in sales, irrespective.

As for the point about the puny tyres aiding F.E., another fact is the thickness of the sheet metal used. I had the thickness values for sheet metal in the Fiesta / Ikon as compared to the NHC (just can't find it now. will try to hunt up and post.). No wonder we have so many people commenting on the NHC feeling very tinny and unsubstantial.

And to think, people believe that marvelous Honda technology is at work to bring in those great F.E. figures. Its hilarious. At least Honda is laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited by hell_rider : 19th August 2007 at 17:39.
Old 19th August 2007, 17:58   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hell_rider, Fiesta sxi comes with ABS (not optional any longer), though there are no airbags---so please take note of this. Even Verna offers ABS on its petrol cars as an option.
Old 19th August 2007, 19:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hell_rider, Fiesta sxi comes with ABS (not optional any longer), though there are no airbags---so please take note of this. Even Verna offers ABS on its petrol cars as an option.
Even Verna CRDi has ABS as a option though it should be standard on the SX
Old 20th August 2007, 01:18   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yes. I am aware. Request you to re-read my statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
On this count, (ABS and / or Airbags ) every manufacturer is guilty for not offering these as an option. Ford with their Fiesta / Fusion, Hyundai with their Verna, Honda with the NHC (both IDSI and VTec).
(ABS and / or Airbags)

Quote:
Originally Posted by busa
Even Verna CRDi has ABS as a option though it should be standard on the SX
same as above pal.
Old 20th August 2007, 10:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Looks like you only choose between Hondas.
Not Really!

I test drove Cedia finally and have decided to go in for it. It is an amazing car. I was mislead a bit by "poor rear seat leg space" comments in reviews. But the leg space is very fine.

Car is absolutely high on safety features, amazing power and handling. Mitsubishi has atleast not compromised in safety features across variants, only cosmetic differences exist between models.

Many thanks guys! If not for Team BHP, I would have made a choice that I may have regretted for next many years.
Old 20th August 2007, 10:29   #73
BHPian

"Are we all agreeing that skidding & wheel lock up at nominal speed (60 kmph) is not common across all cars with no-ABS?" Sathya_Nars

I don't think it can be concluded so simply. As per Honda Site - "ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) It prevents locking of wheels during braking, avoids skidding and lets you maintain control over the steering."

Read Wiki too - Anti-lock braking system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Very interesting info and also highlights drawbacks of ABS.
A typical anti-lock system can apply and release braking pressure up to 20 times a second.

I suspect wheels can lock up if you break too hard even at speeds below or around 60.

If Honda feels ABS and airbags are not required for Indian roads, why are they offered in Civic?
Old 20th October 2007, 06:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Autocar magazine mentioned an issue with NHC VTEC.

I brought up this issue to create awareness among those who are buying cars just based on Honda image .

When a customer buys a car that costs ~9.5L, primary need is safety - now the customer is not at all happy with his purchase.

Does Honda want to wait till Govt regulations make basic safety features as mandatory?
sathya man , very well done to autocar too : missed that mail :

its disgusting always hated the flying honda s in india

disgusting

Old 20th October 2007, 06:17   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Wonder why Honda would shoot a letter like that. They seem to have outsourced their call-center job!!

To me, it looks like a one-off case (remember the guy was driving at 60kph). Improper brake-bias setting done by someone who doesn't know about disc brakes.
white knight this is not a one off - this is called standard !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks