Team-BHP - Honda discusses skidding issue with NHC VTEC
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Honda discusses skidding issue with NHC VTEC (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/27524-honda-discusses-skidding-issue-nhc-vtec.html)

Autocar magazine mentioned an issue with NHC VTEC.

Quote:

ASK Autocar anything Motoring advice

Problem:
NHC VTEC skids when braking even at moderate speeds

Lucknow-based Amit Soti bought his brand-new Honda City VTEC in April this year. However, his enthusiasm for the car disappeared soon after taking delivery when he realized it had a serious flaw. While driving at 60kph, he applied the brakes and the tyres suddenly locked up, resulting in Amit losing steering control and the car skidding some distance before coming to a stop.

After a few more close shaves, he actually had a minor accident when he rammed into the rear of another car. Extremely upset at these events, Amit approached local dealer Fortune Honda which inspected the car and said that they could find nothing wrong with it. Not prepared to let the matter slide, Amit wrote into Helpline (of Autocar) and we (Autocar) immediately took up his case with Honda.

The company sent its engineer to the dealership for a thorough inspection and a test drive. Their conclusion: in some cases while braking the tyres could lock up and as a result the car would slide forward due to sheer momentum. They acknowledged this problem is more likely in cars like the City VTEC which do not have ABS. However, they insisted there was no abnormality in the braking system of this car. Amit is still unhappy with this explanation and the performance of his VTEC while braking. He is currently considering fitting larger tyres to improve road grip and hence prevent the car from skidding.

AUTOCAR says:

Larger tyres would certainly help in this case and may even eliminate the problem altogether. However, Honda needs to fit an ABS and offer bigger tyres on the more powerful VTEC version of its City to prevent such incidents from occurring.

I brought up this issue to create awareness among those who are buying cars just based on Honda image :Frustrati .

When a customer buys a car that costs ~9.5L, primary need is safety - now the customer is not at all happy with his purchase.

Does Honda want to wait till Govt regulations make basic safety features as mandatory?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sathya_nars (Post 531443)
AUTOCAR says:

Larger tyres would certainly help in this case and may even eliminate the problem altogether.

Larger tyres (I'm assuming more width rather than diameter) also bring with them the higher risk of aquaplaning on wet roads. They do offer a better contact surface on dry roads.

Lucknow doesn't seem to be as water-prone as Bangalore, so shouldn't cause Amit a problem.

Well do we call this a flaw or a known thing with cars that isn't equipped with ABS ?

The whole idea to equip cars with ABS is to prevent what has been discussed on the article.

Why flame honda for it? Its with every car manufacturer who-ever supplies cars without ABS .

Quote:

When a customer buys a car that costs ~9.5L, primary need is safety - now the customer is not at all happy with his purchase.
9.5Lacs ?? :eek: Buy a Cedia

Is there any other car available with discs all round but no ABS. I think the NHC vtec is teh only one.

That could be the reason for the rear locking as well as the front. Scary to say the least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 531453)
Well do we call this a flaw or a known thing with cars that isn't equipped with ABS ?

The whole idea to equip cars with ABS is to prevent what has been discussed on the article.

Why flame honda for it? Its with every car manufacturer who-ever supplies cars without ABS .

My intention was to insist on ABS even for city drives. While I was searching for car to purchase, I kept safety as top priority and looking for models that have ABS. My colleagues who already own cars said "Why do you need ABS? How many times do you drive in corners in rainy season?" - as if ABS is needed ONLY during cornering in rainy season :Shockked: !!

Many people whoever I spoke to, thought ABS is not needed for city drives. This article must be good eye-opener for such folks.

Also, many people buy Honda just for its brand name, even though there are highly competitive options available for each car model of Honda.

BTW, Honda should be blamed for not giving basic safety features (ABS, sufficient sized tyres, etc) in upper segment cars in Indian market.

Honda gives up most under equipted cars in C segment mainly the city at most overpriced valuations ,even thoug city did very nice volumes but for Honda respect comes for the ultra rich where they do not fail in anything look at accord it is so much car in 15 lacs where as city it is so less car at so much price cedia is so much better car than city but still because of HM its ruined i hope SX4 could give some serious blow to Honda so they can realize that they cost of life of a person traveling in city is as important to his family and friends as some body who travels in accord or CRV so he should also at least get ABS and AIR BAGS i can realize that its tough to give these options to some one who is buying Santro at 3.5 lacks but some one who pays 8 lacks or above should be given these features without question

Quote:

BTW, Honda should be blamed for not giving basic safety features (ABS, sufficient sized tyres, etc) in upper segment cars in Indian market.
I think in that case many manufactures needs to be added to the list. I recommend Suzuki also be added to the list for providing those puny tyres on the Baleno.

Initially even the baleno was too pricey.

rubin please add some punctuation's to your post.
Makes me eye go sore and hold my breath reading everything in one shot :).

Hehehe you'll have to add hyundai to the list as well. The verna VGT tyres and lack of ABS and the getz with amazing 155 profile tyres.

About NHC when its launched there was no cencessity or at least no one thought of ABS/AirBag in its class. We can't beat/blast NHC by telling it lacks safety feature.
Every car without ABS/AirBag is unsafe considerring today's speed people drive :)
I have heard by 2010 all cars including M800 should be equiped with safety features like AirBag and ABS which is good move by governement.

Lets wish Honda brings new variant very soon.

Regards,

Ravi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubin2006 (Post 531471)
Honda gives up most under equipted cars in C segment mainly the city at most overpriced valuations ,even thoug city did very nice volumes but for Honda respect comes for the ultra rich where they do not fail in anything look at accord it is so much car in 15 lacs where as city it is so less car at so much price cedia is so much better car than city but still because of HM its ruined i hope SX4 could give some serious blow to Honda so they can realize that they cost of life of a person traveling in city is as important to his family and friends as some body who travels in accord or CRV so he should also at least get ABS and AIR BAGS i can realize that its tough to give these options to some one who is buying Santro at 3.5 lacks but some one who pays 8 lacks or above should be given these features without question

bhai please use some puncutations including full stops. its really hard to understand what you want to say please: ;)

Seat belts were made mandatory. Lets hope ABS and features follow suit

Quote:

Originally Posted by sathya_nars (Post 531443)

Does Honda want to wait till Govt regulations make basic safety features as mandatory?

Unfortunately and frustratingly, yes.

yes ,the vtec should have abs as standard or atleast optional considering even the zen estilo and santro have it atleast as an option.though im really not in favour of airbags,have some experiences which i wouldn't share.

Thats one huge problem with the NHC as a whole rather than just the VTEC. For VTEC it comes to the forefront as they are driven a bit faster. But what actually gets scary is the fact that there is hardly any steering feedback as well. The whole steering feels disconnected, which under wheel lock and subsequent brake modulation becomes difficult to judge.

Even entering a corner one gets very little feedback ragarding the grip available at the tyres. The steering does not weigh up. People who have used OHC VTEC will know what I mean.