Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2004, 00:07   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I agree X-Machine. Modded cars attract too much attention and stand out of a crowd. They would do much better with a regular car. Easier to dispose off too.

GTO
Old 9th September 2004, 01:49   #62
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The reason is,as the car is attractive and also has the loud exhaust sound.It would be really attention grabbing.And the thieves require less attention when they wanna drive away.
LOL Dude...if you have loud exhaust then its difficult for you to drive in the city ! Ask NC about this..last sat when we all met I was driving his car & any moment I saw a pandu I'd to just lift my foot off the throttle. Sometimes I wonder if the whole exercise is really worth it if you can't enjoy it.
Old 9th September 2004, 14:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

yeah,

but rj after i dropped u and on the way back had a very interesting race with a wagon-R. the guy seemed pretty keen in chasing my car all the way to the amar mahal flyover ....he simply loved the exhaust note at full blast !!

cheers
Old 9th September 2004, 20:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

Cool.But are`nt exhaust legal???
And if it is,then what is the permitted decibel level???///

I have driven my car with loud exhaust for around 3mths,b4 i sold it.Never had any problems with it.

Also talking on exhausts,i had recently seen a 2inch metal sheet which has sound tuning.You will just have to fix this above the exhaust and adjust the required sound accordingly.It can allow heavy bass,low bass,race sound,sissy sound.Basically a total of around 8 different sounds.
Cool huh!!!!1
Old 10th September 2004, 02:54   #65
BANNED

after my nokia 6600 and pioneer 3550 mp3 palyer stolen. i put a 5650 mp3 in it 6 days back, i come back to the car and the mp3 deck is gone the face and remote with me. im so annoyed. last time only the faceplate went and this time the stereo. i need a new car by now. ne1 want a 5650 faceplate with remote. up for sale.
Old 10th September 2004, 13:17   #66
Team-BHP Support

ref: defacing.
we got 3 cars recently ( 1 accord and 2 NHC/CVTs). They were recd about 1 month apart. the 1st morning after each car was recd. there was a key/knife mark from headlight to tail light. all 3 cars were parked within the bldg premises. the accord is locked in a closed garage at night. The watchmen claim they dont know who did this.
now the interesting part....
one afternoon i was walking to work in NYC. I saw a beautiful TransAm custom paint job etc parked along the opposite sidewalk. In front of me was a black man. He crossed the road. Flicked open a switch blade and marked the car from headlight to tail light. I wanted to cry (it was not my car nor did i know the owner). But I did not have the balls to accost a man with a swtich blade who for no apparent reason was quite happy to deface a car. Thank god for Rudy G this is not as common. Koch/Dinkins were disasters.
Old 10th September 2004, 16:03   #67
BHPian

Maybe it's time for some of the better security systems to come to India. I forget the name of the one I used in the US.

Some features:
Change frequency everytime you lock. Car sends next frequency code to remote. This is to defeat thief's device which records the remote's frequency when you lock/unlock and then playback to unlock car.
Lock's out car and triggers alarm when more than x frequencies have been tried within a time period. This is to defeat thief playing back all possible frequencies.
Locks out car and triggers alarm when battery voltage drops certain amount in certain time period. This is so that thief does not drain battery.
Backup battery/siren in case of thief shorting battery with high voltage spike.
Microwave dual zone (inside/outside) adjustable movement detection system connected to alarm.
All security electronics protected by separate lock for trunk/engine compartment, also connected to alarm.
Customizable alarm to identity your car's alarm.
Adjustable dual stage shock sensors (Less sensitive when parked in street, more sensitive when in Garage/night etc).
You can even lock car in "silent" mode but will page you if it detects an intruder. Useful for catching the scum red-handed.

Gears,
RedOne
Old 10th September 2004, 19:38   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I think the wobbling is due to the extremely weak stock wheels which would get easily bent after a brush with potholes or highway irregularities
GTO, I think it's more complicated than that -- I had the problem since day one. Since your post has no link in it, I'm presuming this hasn't been discussed full length before? (Forgive the laziness, but I've got even less bandwidth than BHP ) I'd like everyone to know about how MUL literally "took me for a ride"... more on that later.

Anyway, I agree with y'all -- a modded car draws more attention, and I haven't heard of one with freeflow being stolen. Infact, I've know a lot of ppl with freeflow'd cars driving around in Delhi for many years, and besides not ever getting stolen, they're never even pulled over by the cops. I guess that's because they think whoever's driving a fancy car like that probably has a rich/influential dad/uncle, so they don't wanna mess with 'em (atleast in Delhi, it's chock full o ministers).
And when everytime you drive into your society/colony/vihar/whatever, you draw the guards' attention, too... so they'll be curious when they see someone else driving out. (I further recommend a wheelspin for starting and a handbrake turn for stopping so that if it doesn't happen, security will immmediately know something's amiss LOL)
Another advantage: folks just *GET THE HELL OUTTA YOUR WAY* 'cuz they think someone drivin a car like that has to be a maniac!! *

Hey, jessal, sorry to hear about the switchblade fiasco, man...
Old 10th September 2004, 19:43   #69
BHPian

Ooops..... sorry, switchblade fiasco --> navin. Boss was lookin over shoulder, didn't have time to double check ;-)
Old 10th September 2004, 22:14   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Oversteer,

It was just a guess that the wheel wobbling would be related to bent rims. Autocarindia and Overdrive have reported innumerable times about the Zen wheels being poorly constructed.

GTO
Old 10th September 2004, 23:16   #71
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well... I think the bent rim problem was till the days.. zen came with 145/70 R13.... Now with those 145/80s.... R12... the problem has reduced.
Since I have an Alto with the same 145/80 R12 .. I know it also has a tendency to have slight vibrations at 110+.... no matter how much wheel balancing u do.
I somehow blame it on the high profile tyres. Though my WagonR feels better with its standard 145/70 R13.
Now since zen has a softer suspension, at high speeds tyres get a chance to jump around a bit.

Still waiting for Oversteer's version...
Old 16th December 2004, 15:28   #72
BHPian

Hi All ,

Saw a really effective anti theft & anti tow devicein a friends car.

He's got one of those clutch + steering wheel locks modified to have the brakes pressed all the while & this contraption also locks the clutch too.

How it works is once he places the bar into steering wheel & then it passes down to the brake pedal which needs to be depressed, so while the brake is depressed it also goes behind the clutch pedal. while the bar is locked it will not let the brake come up neither allow the clutch pedal be depressed.

This however prevents the car from being towed as well since the tow away people need to have the rear wheels free. This wont allow the car to be towed as well. He's got a couple of challans inside his car to prove that.

I had my stereo stolen a pioneer 7650 the old one with the remote & the face plate - my fault. Wife didnt know how to remove the face plate - didnt care to remove. I guess it does not make a fashion statement to carry around a face plate cover.

The new gear locks are freon proof, they cannot be frozen and smashed.

Would prefer that. Else leave your car with a few dings and dents.

Else get a lockable garage.

Which area in Mumbai has the highest car/car audio thefts. I have often heard that Matunga area is a favourite for car theives along with Colaba.

Hope this helps

Ciaos
Old 16th December 2004, 22:22   #73
Senior - BHPian

hey mm..,
ur friends car will never get stolen at all.as due to the brake pedal being pushed full time ,his battery is gonna drain very soon.so the car chor will have to get a new battery with him if he cumes to steal after a few days.

heehe,
satya
Old 18th December 2004, 12:20   #74
BHPian

oh. this sounds serious. Is it true? Even I have the auto cop installed. I dont mind adding the steering to clutch lock or whatever but it looks a litttle bad. right? I should think on it now.....
Hey, can someone list out the security systems other than autocop, available in india here? wud be of immense help to all.
Old 22nd March 2005, 11:02   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good news. This car has been sourced and is back with my friend. The Police got the car from Bangalore! The only things missing his delicious set of alloy wheels and the custom stereo setup.

The car has run 10,000 kms since the theft (significantly more than my Esteem was) but she runs as smooth as ever. No sign of abuse.

Needless to say, he is one happy chap.

GTO

P.S. Vishal is a Team-BHPian too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks