Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2005, 13:36   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Can you pls let me know how does it work?
Gear locks restrict the movement of floor-mounted gear levers...gearlock is mounted alongside the gear lever, and suits manual , using a padlock style shackle which locks the lever holding the vehicle in gear.... if this device is fitted, it would be impossible to move the vehicle..

(copied off my previous posts ...)

gear locks have been discussed earlier ...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...ght=gear+locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
What brand of gear-lock do you have right now?
My gear lock by AutoCop XS..

i am aware of the Dead locking system in the Opel cars ...

further the terminator alarm system comes with engine immobiliser , anti hijacking codes , door open indicators ,silent mode , auto door lock /unlock when the key is inserted or removed , emergency lights on reverse (along with caution alarm which u can turn off ) ... now i am not sure if all that is standard in all terminator alarm systems ...
Old 21st June 2005, 14:11   #92
BANNED

for old vehicles

Guys..just need some info...

I would like to fix only shock sensors to my old fiat since I its not possible to fix central lock in old cars with old locking system.

Is it possible to fix only the shock sensor alone?
Old 21st June 2005, 14:13   #93
BHPian

Could someone throw light in two queries I had :

1. Some cars some like the Corolla, Octavia etc come with engine immobilisers. Are car thieves still able to drive away with such cars ?

2. Do any of the systems trigger alarms if the door mirror is broken off. (The Skoda door mirror costs Rs. 10,000 !!)

Thanks.

Viky
Old 21st June 2005, 14:24   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine
I was just thinking,what is the safest security mode for the car.And after a lot of thinking this is what struck my mind frequently.

If u have a well modified car with the kitting and stuff and also the exhaust,there is a lesser chance of the thieves touching it.The reason is,as the car is attractive and also has the loud exhaust sound.It would be really attention grabbing.And the thieves require less attention when they wanna drive away.
Another advantage being that it`ll be easier for the cops to locate it,even without the number.

On the other hand,its easy to drive away in a stock car as they are quite a few stock cars around.It`ll not be easy for the cops to locate it just with the number,as it can be changed.

Its better to have some sort of uniqueness on the car.Well this is what i think.What r ur views on this.Correct me if im wrong.
hey x machine
i dont agree with you the more the attractive the car is the more it grabs the attention of thiefs why havent all the other cars also stolen like the lancer has been coz the lancer is a attractive car and the more attractive it gets the more the stealing will happen
Old 21st June 2005, 15:34   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
hey x machine
i dont agree with you the more the attractive the car is the more it grabs the attention of thiefs why havent all the other cars also stolen like the lancer has been coz the lancer is a attractive car and the more attractive it gets the more the stealing will happen
not true !!
the car theives in india ...generally sell of the cars in other regions ... unlike abroad where they steal modded cars drive them down a few blocks and totally strip it off all the modds ....

here the car stealers steal cars which are in high demand and are easy to dispose (cheap )..like the Maruti 800 ...i am sure everyone will agree the 800 is the most stolen 4 wheeler in india ...
Old 21st June 2005, 15:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_s
Could someone throw light in two queries I had :

1. Some cars some like the Corolla, Octavia etc come with engine immobilisers. Are car thieves still able to drive away with such cars ?

2. Do any of the systems trigger alarms if the door mirror is broken off. (The Skoda door mirror costs Rs. 10,000 !!)

Thanks.

Viky
they cannot drive away ..thats where the immobiliser kicks in ... if the car is breeched and someone tries to drive it away ..the engine will shut down ...

if the system has a shock sensor then the alarm might go off once the door mirror are impacted ...
Old 21st June 2005, 19:03   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

nothing is impossible with theives
Old 21st June 2005, 19:08   #98
Senior - BHPian

Was watching a documentary on India TV the other day on car stealing.
They were talking to a car-robber and he just showed one of the few tricks they use to rob cars. One of them was that they use a master-key to open locks, the siren rings, they open the bonnet and disconnect the autocop/siren wire. Another was that some cheap security locking systems are soo bad that with one wireless control you can open several locks, so they sometimes carry multiple wireless controls to open up cars easily. These cars are then sent to another state and are re-registered under a different number and new papers are made and the car is sold.
Old 21st June 2005, 19:19   #99
BANNED

Hey Buddy,

I somewhat disagree with you. What you said holds true for brands like Autocop, Silicon. Piranha etc where the fitting is so shabby and they use a single wire connected to the battery to power the alarm.

There are far better systems available such as Viper. Hornet. Xenos etc which have immobilizers and true shock sensors which makes robbing the car "virtually impossible".

@Vikram- theives cannot drive away a car with a correctly installed immobilizer unless they have access to the remote/key.

the products mentioned by me would help to a large extent in preventing mirror theft but not mirror glass.

Viper
Old 21st June 2005, 19:31   #100
sAP
BHPian

Quote:
Some cars some like the Corolla, Octavia etc come with engine immobilisers. Are car thieves still able to drive away with such cars ?
Viky, this response may not be a direct answer to your question, but I have some inputs in this area:

Before installing an immobilizer for the Piranha Car Alarm, a Tata Safari user happened to share his experience with me. His vehicle had a factory fitted engine immobilizer. At an occassion or two, his vehicle would not start due to some reason owing to the immobilizer. However, since Tata provided telephonic support and he was lucky enough to be in one of those coverage areas, they provided him the right sequence to get his car working again.

I also came across a user who used a DI-make car alarm but had issues where he was unable to start his car legitimately due to the immobilizer. There was no pattern, it would just happen randomly.

I am no immobilizer technician, but from customer experiences I infer that if one has telephonic support (*that provides troubleshooting*) when their immobilizer misbehaves, installing one is a good idea. Else it might be an inconvenient situation at an odd location or at an odd time.

Quote:
With car alarms that come with a shock sensor, you can hike up the sensitivity so that it'd give an alert beep if someone made impact with your door mirror. At best, such an alert may warn the intruder.

If you want to know in real-time when a breach occurs, you can check out the Silicon "FM Pearl" alarm system. The system will indicate on your remote control unit's LCD display (within a 1 km radius) when a breach of security occurs. I think this system costs 3 times than that of a standard car alarm.

sap
Old 22nd June 2005, 03:58   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
the best thing to have is a gear lock ..

i have it in all my cars along with the terminator alarms system ..i have more faith in the gear lock than the alarm system ..
Dont we just think alike!!!!
But i have a steering lock and trust it more than the damn autocop.

X
Old 22nd June 2005, 04:09   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
hey x machine
True.It grabs more attention and thats the reason it cant be stolen.The thieves steal cars which are common and can be lost in traffic,not ones which can be easily identified.Also,if the car is taken to some other state,it can be traced if you have the recent pics of the car.The FACT is.....it stands out,because its modified.
Think about it,how many imported cars are stolen in comparison to indian cars??? Very few or maybe none.

X
Old 22nd June 2005, 13:41   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine
Dont we just think alike!!!!
But i have a steering lock and trust it more than the damn autocop.
X
ahah ..dude ..i have a gear lock ,steering lock and the alarm system in my car !!family has been a victim of car thefts and attempted car thefts .. we even have car cover locks ...
Old 4th January 2006, 21:55   #104
BHPian

Guys, a mechanic once told me that those theives are the best of mechanics do they know how to crack any security system. The tip he gave me was that it is very hard and time consuming to go under the chassis and remove security devices there. So what you need to do is......atleast for the place where u park your car. Dig up a thick metal rod and tie a chain to the rear axle. The thief can no ways beat that all he'll try to do is race the car from the parking spot thinking there is a bump or something......that would max bend the rear axle. A friend or mine caught a thieft like that!!
Old 5th January 2006, 18:08   #105
BHPian

what to say guys christmas week on 24 morning i saw my car parked below the building at 9.00 am and by the time i came back to see at 10.00 am. My babes been missing. A good natured Arab found my car headlights on all night, windows open and informed the cops. 25th evening i find my car all intact only a dead battery. jumped start.

ever since bought a steering lock which has a set of 5 keys. Its a star angled key and the notches are different on all sides and has to be inserted in the key lock as directed. Its almost impossible for a guy to duplicate the key. The laternative left is to cut the steering wheel at 3 places to get the locking mechanism out.
Cost approx Irs 3850/= Main factor is that its a Visual deterrent and in most cases divert a thief to an easier target.

changed door locks to GM 9 lever - cost Rs 1000 approx.

also installed a cut out switch thereby the igntion wont start. the switch is toggle type and can be hidden to which ever place u would like it to be installed. bought the switch and installed it myself.
now my babe is secure but this word "impossible" does not exist for a car thief.

this is something best what u can think of.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks