Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2007, 13:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Did I hear correctly? Honda CRV a SUV? Are you joking? Honda CRV is not a SUV. It cannot off road, and has problems negotiating pot-holed roads. The ground clearance too doesn't conform to basic SUV standards.

Now coming back to getting stalled in 1-1/2 foot of water, if your friend had known how to, then even a M800 would have negotiated that stretch. The engine stalled coz he probably did not know how to; or else he wouldn't have tried restrarting the engine in waterlogged conditions.

Trying to restart made the cold water rush inside the very hot engine compartment due to vaccum and thus ruined it totally.

Sad that this happened and sympathies with your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
A friend of mine recently bought the new CRV and in the recent rains of bangalore, he was travelling on 80ft road in Indiranagar when the engine stopped. It was around one a half foot of water - max.. He tried restarting the car, but to no avail. What pissed him off was a Tata Indica drove past in the same conditions without a problem! Got it towed to the workshop and discovered that the engine has to be dismantled and his bill rang up 2L. Insurance is not paying for it and the repair centre guys say that the manual states that you are not supposed to restart the car in water logged situations as the water will be sucked into the engine through the exhaust. So the company is not taking any responsibility. The car was in the workshop for a month and no replacement offered. So much for Honda as a SUV and its service commitment for a 20L+ vehicle! This note was intended to be a warning to you CRV owners about this problem.. Watch out for those rainy days and your macho dreams of driving through the water logged roads with your new SUV may not work.
Old 16th August 2007, 13:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

CRV is a crossover. Actually it is a wagon failing to crossover.
Old 16th August 2007, 16:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Now coming back to getting stalled in 1-1/2 foot of water, if your friend had known how to, then even a M800 would have negotiated that stretch. The engine stalled coz he probably did not know how to; or else he wouldn't have tried restrarting the engine in waterlogged conditions.
Trying to restart made the cold water rush inside the very hot engine compartment due to vaccum and thus ruined it totally.
Many years ago I was driving with my uncle in his 800. Near the end of Magrath Road (in front of current Garuda Mall - no mall then), there was 2 feet deep water. People hesitated to cross the stretch. My uncle said we can go through water provided I don't stop the car in the middle. So I slot the gear into 1st and went over the stretch, which over 40ft. Water level was just below the bonnet. Car didn't stop and we made it.

I didn't know that we should not start the car in water. I wonder how many such essential bits of information I don't know.
Old 16th August 2007, 16:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Question to experts, can diesel engine be started in water logged situation?
Although I not an expert but answer is "Yes and No", since it depends on the level of water compared to the level of the vehicles built (electrical/exhaust/intake pipe) and provided that water does not get into the air intake or fuel tank, a diesel engine will operate under most watery conditions.

When a petrol engine is subjected to similar conditions, it might fail due to the electricals shorting out. Typically the sparkplug leads will short out, or the distributor will fail.

However, while a petrol engine will stall before any damage is done, a diesel will suffer major internal damage if water gets into the air intake. With its 20:1 compression ratio, only a very small amount of water will cause failure of a diesel engine. A petrol is not so prone to this as it does not draw in as much air (hence less water) and only has a 9:1 compression. Therefore any water that is drawn in isn't subjected to as high a compression.

In practice, a diesel engine comes through most water crossings easily where a petrol engine will splutter its way through with intermittent shorting of the electrics.
Old 16th August 2007, 16:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I wonder how any SUV gets issues in water logged roads inspite of the extra ground clearance, huge wheels and powerful engine.
Even I was wondering the same!
CRV does have higher ground clearance compared to Cars, so it should have waded through half-foot of water with ease, but this was not the case, something went wrong somewhere!
Old 16th August 2007, 16:42   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Question to experts, can diesel engine be started in water logged situation?
No they cannot be. same problem as petrol. Even more problem if it's turbo engine. case example: my uncle's fiesta in less than a foot of water.
Old 16th August 2007, 16:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

OT:I wonder how this one got through

Cant even see a snorkel for air intake, unless hidden at the back!!!
Old 16th August 2007, 17:08   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
No they cannot be. same problem as petrol. Even more problem if it's turbo engine. case example: my uncle's fiesta in less than a foot of water.
What about vehicles whose air intake is above the ceiling, as in tractors or Trax Gurkha? The latter is known to wade in 3 feet water. The exhaust might be under water, but can they start as long as air intake is above water?

scn0004_gif.jpg @ Fotopic.Net
Old 16th August 2007, 17:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

er....dadu the pic shows the jeep in the middle of a stream.
that's no guarantee that it got through...
or are you going to surprise me with a sequel...lol!
Old 16th August 2007, 17:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Chubb is an Insurance co??
yup. hdfc chubb general ins co ltd
Old 16th August 2007, 18:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Typically the sparkplug leads will short out, or the distributor will fail.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge...
What's a distributor?
Old 16th August 2007, 18:36   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
that's no guarantee that it got through...
or are you going to surprise me with a sequel...lol!
Remember the good old TATA Safari ad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What's a distributor?
As the name suggests, it distributes the charge to various sparks as per the firing order of the engine. (Right?)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th August 2007 at 18:39.
Old 16th August 2007, 19:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

That's a Jeep Grand Cherokee if I am not mistaken, the finest SUV I have driven. drool
Old 16th August 2007, 19:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

that amount of water is nothing for the Grand cherokee.Its not a wannabe.
Old 16th August 2007, 19:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thats a cherokee not a grand cherokee.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks