Chubb Group of Insurance Companies
and
HDFC Chubb - Home
Old 16th August 2007, 21:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Remember the good old TATA Safari ad?

As the name suggests, it distributes the charge to various sparks as per the firing order of the engine. (Right?)

OK. Thanks.
So the reason behind higher chances of failure of a petrol engine in flood (compared to diesel engine) is the higher involvement (compared to diesel engine) of electricals in the running of the engine, is it?

In that case, come future and we will have cam-less engines (with solenoid valves)...or in even nearer future, gas-electric hybrids...

NO WATERLOGGING ALLOWED!!
Old 16th August 2007, 21:49   #33
Team-BHP Support

unless you have proper water wading equipment like snorkel intake et all, dont even try starting stalled engine, let alone wading. you never know where that liter of water will get in and cause havoc to the vehicle.
Old 16th August 2007, 22:00   #34
BHPian

back to school

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Did I hear correctly? Honda CRV a SUV? Are you joking? Honda CRV is not a SUV. It cannot off road, and has problems negotiating pot-holed roads. The ground clearance too doesn't conform to basic SUV standards.

Now coming back to getting stalled in 1-1/2 foot of water, if your friend had known how to, then even a M800 would have negotiated that stretch. The engine stalled coz he probably did not know how to; or else he wouldn't have tried restrarting the engine in waterlogged conditions.

Trying to restart made the cold water rush inside the very hot engine compartment due to vaccum and thus ruined it totally.

Sad that this happened and sympathies with your friend.
Uses a driver, so has to send him to driving school once again
Old 16th August 2007, 22:03   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

This resource should help abt general DOs and DONTs of driving thru water for reference
Old 16th August 2007, 23:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
lol they are huge, take a look
Chubb Group of Insurance Companies
and
HDFC Chubb - Home

Sam, i did not know about that too & was too lazy to google it either. But i did look it up after you said it was an insurance company.

looks like there are a lot of options for insurance these days.
cheers
Old 17th August 2007, 00:43   #37
BHPian

This is the most insane thing i have ever heard. Water got sucked into the Exhaust!! Now how on earth water gets sucked in a pipe thats gushing smoke out of the engine and Lol how did it climb the exaust manifold and then go into the Engine!!!

Nothing sounds right here, i suspect the poster does not have the full details. Water cant go trough the exhaust up into the cylinders! Is this possible? Water only goes through the air intake in the corroborator or create a short in the spark plug. Unless some one is going to tell i am wrong.

Anyways i say check with another dealer and threaten them to take action in the consumer court. Because a SUV cant stall at 2 feet of water Lol, thats not what SUVs are marketed for in the first place.
Old 17th August 2007, 01:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Water only goes through the air intake in the corroborator or create a short in the spark plug. Unless some one is going to tell i am wrong.

Anyways i say check with another dealer and threaten them to take action in the consumer court. Because a SUV cant stall at 2 feet of water Lol, thats not what SUVs are marketed for in the first place.
Valve overlap between the exhaust and intake stroke can cause some amount of water to be sucked in if the exhaust is completely submerged. But whether that much amount of water will be enough to cause the Hydrolock is something to be questioned.

Even during the Intake of water, the main problem is caused by incompressibility of water as the pistons try to compress the water present in the cylinder causing conrods to break.

ot: What did CRV say to the Civic? Look sis, me SUV.

Last edited by 1100D : 17th August 2007 at 01:34.
Old 17th August 2007, 04:22   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think its justified to blame this on the car. Infact, it is the drivers fault for not driving through water properly.One must always keep the accelerator pressed at all times when going thru water because the second you leave it the water rushes in through the tailpipe.
Old 17th August 2007, 08:55   #40
Team-BHP Support

I have actually floated on water in a Chevy Cavalier. I was driving in a foot deep water on a highway (Rt.17 NJ). A big truck drove next to me at a much faster pace thereby making the water level rise by few inches. The car was lifted up and I was floating for a good 10-15 feet. I frankly didn't expect the rental car to survive that road flood, but we came out of it unscathed and continued to drive towards our destination.
Old 17th August 2007, 09:10   #41
BHPian

I am surprised that Chubb is being difficult. They are a high end insurance company in the US and offer unparalleled service. When our 530xi went through the same situation as your friend's CRV, the BMW estimate repair estimate was $20K +. Chubb stepped in and said no point repairing it - we'll just replace the car and won't account for depreciation. So basically they gave us a check for the cars purchase price and said buy what you want. Tell your friend to talk to Chubb directly. They might be more accomodating than the Honda dealer.

Last edited by vcash : 17th August 2007 at 09:12.
Old 17th August 2007, 10:04   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

vcash that is fantastic!

Here, it's HDFC insurance, in association with Chubb. Secondly, I'm just assuming, but chubb in the USA have a different set of norms, compared to insurance companies in India.
Old 17th August 2007, 19:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
vcash that is fantastic!
chubb in the USA have a different set of norms, compared to insurance companies in India.
Sam - That's true. But I think it's a company specific thing and not so much laws and norms. I have geico on one of my car's and if it gets damaged, according to their policy, they will send someone to assess and depending on their report Geico will repair or reimburse a market depreciated value at the time of the claim.

Chubb on the other hand will asses your car's value at the begining of the year and if anything were to go wrong and a replacement was warranted - they would pay you that agreed upon price. for the first year it is the car's purchase price (including tax and title). For the second year it is PP less a % (Based on the make and model) and so forth. So in theory if your car is damaged beyond reasonable repair after 11 months and 30 days of ownership - you get a check in the mail for the puchase price!
Old 18th August 2007, 08:21   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
... Water level was just below the bonnet.
What level is the air intake at ? From what you have said in your post, the air intake would have been submerged too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
CRV is a crossover. Actually it is a wagon failing to crossover.
Good one, Sri
Old 21st August 2007, 07:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
vcash that is fantastic!

Here, it's HDFC insurance, in association with Chubb. Secondly, I'm just assuming, but chubb in the USA have a different set of norms, compared to insurance companies in India.
btw it was HDFC Chubb, because Chubb has left HDFC. It has exited the Joint Venture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks