Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2007, 07:45   #1
BHPian

Honda CRV - Waterlogging dont go together

A friend of mine recently bought the new CRV and in the recent rains of bangalore, he was travelling on 80ft road in Indiranagar when the engine stopped. It was around one a half foot of water - max.. He tried restarting the car, but to no avail. What pissed him off was a Tata Indica drove past in the same conditions without a problem! Got it towed to the workshop and discovered that the engine has to be dismantled and his bill rang up 2L. Insurance is not paying for it and the repair centre guys say that the manual states that you are not supposed to restart the car in water logged situations as the water will be sucked into the engine through the exhaust. So the company is not taking any responsibility. The car was in the workshop for a month and no replacement offered. So much for Honda as a SUV and its service commitment for a 20L+ vehicle! This note was intended to be a warning to you CRV owners about this problem.. Watch out for those rainy days and your macho dreams of driving through the water logged roads with your new SUV may not work.
Old 16th August 2007, 08:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

I thought CRV's Tail pipe is at a higher level than Indica's . 2lacs for the repair is a bit too much . Why dont you approach another dealer who can help you claim the insurance. It wont be a bad idea gong to a Honda dealer at another city if they are willing to help you out.
Old 16th August 2007, 08:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
I thought CRV's Tail pipe is at a higher level than Indica's . 2lacs for the repair is a bit too much . Why dont you approach another dealer who can help you claim the insurance. It wont be a bad idea gong to a Honda dealer at another city if they are willing to help you out.
The damage is done.. He is fighting with chubb to get them to pay.. Clause of course says "floods"... he is claiming that rains with one and half foot water is not to be considered a flood.. ;-)
Old 16th August 2007, 10:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

This can happen to any SUV. All SUV's are vehicles with engines too. They are also prone to failures if not handled properly. It all depends on the driving skills and luck.

The only reason why the Indica drove away in that water was probably the driver knew how to handle the watery situation better.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

The road has been flooded with water, does he want many people to be stranded & to die for it to be a flood ? which is this insurance ?
Old 16th August 2007, 10:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

E_L, I think he said Chubb.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Chubb is an Insurance co??
Old 16th August 2007, 10:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
I thought CRV's Tail pipe is at a higher level than Indica's .
I dont think his car stopped because his tail pipe went under the water.With such a powerful engine that would not be an issue.Even tiny scooters manage to navigate a waterlogged road with engine on full blast.

I think something electrical in the CRV is placed quite low in the engine bay and it might have been short circuited.causing the engine to stall and on restart the engine might have sucked water through the tail pipe.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

, a Honda misbehaving like this? In fact behaving like a Ford ......this is definitely not acceptable lol!

On a more serious note, this again highlights the fact that once it stops in water, one should NOT try to re-start it! We can probably get away (to a certain extent) with Fiats & Ambassadors but definitely not with the new generation cars.

Last edited by suman : 16th August 2007 at 10:55.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
I think something electrical in the CRV is placed quite low in the engine bay and it might have been short circuited.causing the engine to stall and on restart the engine might have sucked water through the tail pipe.

This could be the closest explanation OR even something as silly as nervousness on the driver's part let the engine stall and stop.

Even an auto driver knows that in water-logged situations, one must not let the engine shut-down. (Ask the Mumbai folks about this)

Anyway the Honda CRV was meant for Richie-Rich's sister to satisfy her egoful dreams of driving a SUV. Was it meant to be an "SUV" in any other way?

But this is really sad.

Last edited by gbpscars : 16th August 2007 at 10:49.
Old 16th August 2007, 11:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This can happen to any SUV. All SUV's are vehicles with engines too.
..."No attempt should be made to start the IC engine which has been stalled due to watery environment"....basic theory of IC engines ...we already have threads running on do's and dont's along with LIVE examples where in insurance claims have been rejected over such incidents
Old 16th August 2007, 11:52   #12
Team-BHP Support

Oh, so this can happen to a Honda? And to a SUV pretender, no less?
If this were a Ford we would have had posts saying why a Ford cant ford through water, and what not.

Rangaraj, your friend shouldnt have dared to start the vehicle after it stalled in water. Big mistake there.
Old 16th August 2007, 12:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how any SUV gets issues in water logged roads inspite of the extra ground clearance, huge wheels and powerful engine. I managed to push my wagon R through water logged roads (defenitely above 1 feet) in the previous heavy raining weeks. Only reason I can assume is hesitating and stopping middle of nowhere and thereby causing the engine to stall. Once the engine is stopped, then its a totaly different ball game regardless of the type of vehicle you have. Even an auto goes through water logged roads provided the engine is kept running without a pause.

2 Lak is a huge damage even for an SUV owner. Imagine the driver takes it to water logged roads later with the same order of events !! The owner would defenitely start hating Honda for ever.
Old 16th August 2007, 13:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This can happen to any SUV. All SUV's are vehicles with engines too. They are also prone to failures if not handled properly. It all depends on the driving skills and luck.
No, it won't happen to any SUV. Here we are assuming CR-V is a SUV, wrong assumption to start with.

This reminds me of the Subaru Forester commerical that was shown in US long back. A bunch of friends with various different mini-SUVs (Forester/CR-V/RAV4 etc) try to reach an off-road destination. The CR-V gets stuck in the mud and the driver's GF says "It's OK, it happens to most guys!".

Question to experts, can diesel engine be started in water logged situation?
Old 16th August 2007, 13:14   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
can diesel engine be started in water logged situation?

Not - going by this owner's experience.

Most Viewed