Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:09   #406
Senior - BHPian

thanks to Sid my signature has changed again
And ya Sid i agree with you, judging by Linea's pricing and response Fiat has got(which am sure is more than they expected) we can expect Punto to be launched at reasonable price as well.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:19   #407
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for some interior pics of GP with specs.
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:16   #408
BHPian

Oxygen is the most common element in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Eagerly waiting for some interior pics of GP with specs.
Luky your signature is voefully wrong. Its Iron thats the most common element on this planet. If you consider the earths crust then its Oxygen that has all other elements beaten by a long margin. Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe but not for long. Its not to offend you only to let you know.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 23rd February 2009 at 23:17.
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:33   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
I do not think so as per the track record of FIAT it has not introduced any vehicle exclusive for Indian condition that is the reason it fails e.g. FE. here people will buy only those which are FE unlike FIAT cars (so far FIAT has not thought on this issue)

The reason why Palio was flop was because
1. Somebody managed to create an impression that Palios are fuel guzzlers (I dont know how true it is)
2. It could not expand its network out of major towns

Nobody cared that it was one of the safest cars of its time compared to M800 or Zen
Old 24th February 2009, 11:49   #410
Senior - BHPian

If it is the VGT, even at about 5l, it is a good deal. Let us hope that Fiat will pull it off with Punto.

The fact that someone at tbhp has seen the new Palio being tested indicates the possibility that Palio can go down market and cater to WagonR, i10 segment. Over there, if priced well, it can make some inroads.

All the plans on paper sound good, but I only hope that Fiat India has the wherewithals to do something better this time around.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:01   #411
BHPian

Well you know Imo the winds of change have started blowing,for eg. the Yamaha's and Fiat's of the world have started regaining lost territory(read market share) and it would'nt be long enough for our established 'Khiladi's' to notice that and pull up their socks and offer us quality and reliabilty at par.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:14   #412
BHPian

Also on fiat website I see only bravo..
Old 25th February 2009, 10:39   #413
Senior - BHPian

I dont see Grandepunto launched with better engines. They will be the same Linea engines without much work. I still see the car as good value.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:47   #414
BHPian

maximizing product value is th eonly way Fiat can win back customers. They lost the ground with the Palio and the likes and the Linea is a good direction forward. Even with similar specs as the Linea (read engine etc - get the options pack going) - the GP is absolute value in the 4.75-6 lakh segmnet. The driving characteristics are spot-on and with a good engine to boot the GP can leave behind the i20 biting the dust and even the Swift D lugging behind.

The only problem is whether Fiat can set a right prics for the GP. IMHO they do a much better job usually - much better than the Hyundai.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:57   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpn View Post
The reason why Palio was flop was because
1. Somebody managed to create an impression that Palios are fuel guzzlers (I dont know how true it is)
2. It could not expand its network out of major towns

Nobody cared that it was one of the safest cars of its time compared to M800 or Zen
My 03 Palio 1.2 racked up an economy figure of around 8-9kmpl - city driving with A/C on 90% of the time. So they were fuel guzzlers. I think thats the reason Fiat later came out with the current 1.1 litre engine which is a de-tuned version of the 1.2. But Fiat had already dug its own grave by then. The A.S.S made matters worse.
But that thing is built like a tank. Recently we met with an accident near pune. My car skidded off the road at around 70 kmph, flew off a mound and landed in a ditch. We were wearing seat belts. Everybody walked out without a scratch. I will upload the pictures in a day or two in the Accidents forum.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:09   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
My 03 Palio 1.2 racked up an economy figure of around 8-9kmpl - city driving with A/C on 90% of the time. So they were fuel guzzlers. I think thats the reason Fiat later came out with the current 1.1 litre engine which is a de-tuned version of the 1.2. But Fiat had already dug its own grave by then. The A.S.S made matters worse.
But that thing is built like a tank. Recently we met with an accident near pune. My car skidded off the road at around 70 kmph, flew off a mound and landed in a ditch. We were wearing seat belts. Everybody walked out without a scratch. I will upload the pictures in a day or two in the Accidents forum.
How did it skid off the road at a speed of only 70, did you take a very sharp turn at that speed?
Check your tyres if there is too much of wear and get tyres of good grip.
Build quality or no build quality please dont take such dangerous risks.
Happy Motoring!

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 25th February 2009, 11:31   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
How did it skid off the road at a speed of only 70, did you take a very sharp turn at that speed?
Check your tyres if there is too much of wear and get tyres of good grip.
Build quality or no build quality please dont take such dangerous risks.
Happy Motoring!

Cheers,
Nitin
Entirely my mistake actually. This happened on the road to Lavasa, a new township coming up about 50Kms from Pune. The road has a lots of twists and turns. I missed a sharp turn and went off.
Thanks for your concern though. I would say I have learnt my lessons.
Old 25th February 2009, 17:00   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
Entirely my mistake actually. This happened on the road to Lavasa, a new township coming up about 50Kms from Pune. The road has a lots of twists and turns. I missed a sharp turn and went off.
Thanks for your concern though. I would say I have learnt my lessons.
Its quite heartening to know that all of you escaped without a scratch. Fiat's build quality gives you that confidence isn't it?

How did your car fare? Did it have any major dents or something after landing in the ditch?
Old 25th February 2009, 18:21   #419
BHPian

I've been preparing a comparison sheet which might come into play for my next car purchase. Suddenly, the G.Punto has raised the stakes and made it very interesting. Please find attached the comparison sheet for cars in the 4-5 lakhs (ex-show Delhi) range. Some figures are missing (any assistance in filling those will be appreciated) and if anything is incorrect, please let me know.

Please note that i've made the comparison as per my personal criteria, likings and expectations. There is no right or wrong - e.g. I prefer hydraulic power steering as compared to an electric one, because of feedback, which is purely a personal liking. Also, I've made some suppositions regarding the G.Punto. Think this will result in some more interesting discussion.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Car comp.xls (29.5 KB, 717 views)
Old 25th February 2009, 18:50   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
I've been preparing a comparison sheet which might come into play for my next car purchase. Suddenly, the G.Punto has raised the stakes and made it very interesting. Please find attached the comparison sheet for cars in the 4-5 lakhs (ex-show Delhi) range. Some figures are missing (any assistance in filling those will be appreciated) and if anything is incorrect, please let me know.
Nice effort there. Hope they launch GP with the 1.4 DOHC option.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks