Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 20:58   #751
BHPian

I love the Swift D.
Fabulous car to drive. wait till 2000rpm get the kick. Its intoxicating.

I think GP makes way more sense than Fabia. If you have fabia its a noisy , 3cylinder diesel with 68HP( correct me if i am wrong).

This engine makes way more sense. You spend 30,000rs get a petes. Push it to 90HP. Then maybe get a Greens Airfilter. Just think that your paying that extra bit of premium for VGT and get the petes and Green airfilter.

I know that if we got VGT its better but then when a company is rebuilding itself its better for them to wait and move ahead.

VGT or No VGT i am thinking about GP. If the car drives good. ( It should as SID told) I am getting it.
Old 14th May 2009, 21:01   #752

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Well, no more hopes or anticipation. This is a mail I have received from Rajeev Kapoor, CEO of Fiat. In desperation I had sent him a mail yesterday night to confirm if they have indeed put in 75 BHP engine, he answers in affirmative! Here is my mail exchange with him -
Rajeev Kapoor says three weeks.That means June first week and not June 17th as Sid confirmed.If Rajeev Kapoor is right(He should and better be!),atleast the launch date will feel like a summer rain for the people here:-)
Old 14th May 2009, 21:22   #753
Senior - BHPian

To choose among the Swift,Vista and the GP will be a tough one! If the specs on all the three cars are the same,the Gp with its Maserati-esque front end is sure to steal the show.The Swift's a bit old now,the GP's going to be refreshing.Tata though can only bet on its pricing.(but the Vista's a graet car too)..This maybe the toughest small car test we've had in years!
Old 14th May 2009, 22:11   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
To choose among the Swift,Vista and the GP will be a tough one! If the specs on all the three cars are the same,the Gp with its Maserati-esque front end is sure to steal the show.The Swift's a bit old now,the GP's going to be refreshing.Tata though can only bet on its pricing.(but the Vista's a graet car too)..This maybe the toughest small car test we've had in years!

As you said this will be the toughest comparison test.
Most magazines will cover it
Old 14th May 2009, 23:18   #755
Senior - BHPian

Add RITZ to that list.
Old 14th May 2009, 23:42   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Well, no more hopes or anticipation. This is a mail I have received from Rajeev Kapoor, CEO of Fiat. In desperation I had sent him a mail yesterday night to confirm if they have indeed put in 75 BHP engine, he answers in affirmative! Here is my mail exchange with him -
How come you were able to mail Rajeev Kapoor? I tried many times through their website but it gives data error. Have you mailed him on his official email ID? Can you share it?
Old 15th May 2009, 00:37   #757
BHPian

My dreams are shattered.

Sorry to say this but both FIAT and Yamaha have to learn that in India atleast, both these companies have in the past brought in their latest engines and chassis which were big solid and powerful compared to the run of the mill that we got here. This picture has stuck in our minds and we do not expect them to get out anything less.

Yamaha are now doing well only because they have gone back to their past manthra of performance oriented bikes. I wonder when Fiat will wake up to this realization. Their service may be forgivable but not if their cars are run of the mill automobiles.

Looks like I will have to live with my GTX for another 2 to 3 years before they put in the 1.6vgt in the Punto. By then this combo (Grande Punto with the 1.6VGT) too might get stale. I was praying for this engine alone and nothing bigger or more powerful like the 1.9VGT. The Grande Punto chassis and the 1.6 vgt are like a marriage made in heaven by the GODs but the think tank at FIAT India think otherwise. Why oh why!!!!!

If there were smilies for tears I would insert countless numbers of them here and get a reprimand from the moderator of this site. Thats how disappointed I am.
Old 15th May 2009, 03:19   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidgo7 View Post
prices of grande punto confirmed atleast as of today
PETROL-4.5-6.0 EX SHOWROOM
DIESEL-5.25-6.5 EX SHOWROOM

TRIMS
*ACTIVE1.2L PETROL/1.3MULTIJET
Power steering
-Front power windows
- Black door handles /ext
mirrors
- Immobilizer
Standard contents:
- Manual A/C
- Power steering
-Front power windows
- Black door handles /ext
mirrors
- Immobilizer
*DYNAMIC1.4 PETROL/MULTIJET DIESEL
Central door lock
- Front power windows
- Rear power windows
- Front fog lamps pre-kit
- Coloured central console/door
handles/gearbox frame
Standard contents:
- Central door lock
- Front power windows
- Rear power windows
- Front fog lamps pre-kit
- Coloured central console/door
handles/gearbox frame
*EMOTION1.4PETROL/MULTIJET DIESEL
Remote door lock
- Front fog lights
- ABS
- Radio CD + MP3
- Front grill painted
- Height adjust. Steering wheel
- Height adjust driver seat
- Split rear seat
- Body colour door handles / ext
mirrors
- Rear defogger / window wiper
- Height adj. safety belt
- Bicolour dashboard
- electric adjust mirrors
Standard contents:
- Remote door lock
- Front fog lights
- ABS
- Radio CD + MP3
- Front grill painted
- Height adjust. Steering wheel
- Height adjust driver seat
- Split rear seat
- Body colour door handles / ext
mirrors
- Rear defogger / window wiper
- Height adj. safety belt
- Bicolour dashboard
- electric adjust mirrors
*EMOTION PACK1.4 PETROL/MULTIJET
Automatic A/C
- Blue & Me with steering
controls
- Alloy wheels
- Front Airbags
- Leather steering wheel
Just noticed, is there no 'Dynamic Pack' as is in the Linea?
Old 15th May 2009, 08:51   #759
BHPian

I dunno what's the big fuss about the three letter 'BHP'. It would have been wonderful if the GP was with VGT and made it class leader for sure in every aspect. But lets just be a bit soft on them guys. As mentioned in the previous post, the so called National Engine is retuned. So there should be some difference from the Swift or Palio or Vista. Just wait for the launch, do a test drive and then comment. FIAT is understandably playing safe at the launch of a car. With the Linea sales nicely settling down at 1100-1200 mark, I hope FIAT brings the 1.6 VGT in Linea and hopefully 1.3 VGT (atleast) to GP just to satisfy the power freaks (including me). But honestly, 1.3 FGT will never be an underpowered car.
Old 15th May 2009, 11:34   #760
BHPian

Fiat going down??

Man I'm already irritated by Fiat's third rate service back up for Palio and Linea.. And now no VGT in GP, not even on the top model? Fiat is going to dogs.. Time so sell my GTX and move on.
Old 15th May 2009, 11:46   #761
Senior - BHPian

^^ Can you elaborate on the third rate service by Fiat?

Fiat or any other company have the right to determine the products they would like to sell in the market!
In the past they burnt their hands by making performance oriented hatches like 1.6 GTX etc, can you tell me how many people bought 1.6 GTX / Sports?
Only a handful, Fiat wouldn't care for them now & instead cater to large FE conscious public in our country!
Old 15th May 2009, 12:04   #762
BHPian

I wonder why no one's talking about the 1.4 petrol - with 90 PS (89 bhp)@6000 rpm and 115 Nm@4500 rpm for a 1 ton car, doesn't that equate to a 0-100 of less than 12.5 seconds? The mileage is not bad too! Of course thats not ground breaking but it seems it'll be faster and more refined than the Swift ZXI which is similar in weight and power. (1 ton, 87 bhp@6000 rpm, 113 Nm@4500rpm)

EDIT: Forgot to add that the GP would also have 195/60 R15 tires - won't that aid better performance (and good ride) too?

Last edited by reppy : 15th May 2009 at 12:07.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:26   #763
Senior - BHPian

@Comrade,

Fiat Turkey is not a good base to compare any Fiat India products. If I remember correctly, Linea MJD is at least around 70kg more in India as compared to Turkey.

For some reason, I believe Fiat India over engineers its cars to the extent of being paranoid of Indian conditions, hence that increase in weight.

I would assume at least 25-30 kg more for Indian Punto, as Indian Punto will be within the 4m mark.

EDIT: Linea MJD in Turkey is 1185 kg in weight, whereas in India, it is around 1290 kg.

Last edited by deepakhon : 15th May 2009 at 12:30. Reason: More precise info
Old 15th May 2009, 12:26   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
^^ Can you elaborate on the third rate service by Fiat?
Ya the service center treats you like a indica cab driver.. they make you wait a minimum of 1 hour to take your car and another one hour to deliver. They also make sure they dont attend to some of the complaints!! I'm used to ford and Toyota service so this is a big surprise for me. Palio customers might tolerate this just imagine the plight of New Linea owners.. they are in for a big surprise once they buy the car!!
Old 15th May 2009, 12:29   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
How come you were able to mail Rajeev Kapoor? I tried many times through their website but it gives data error. Have you mailed him on his official email ID? Can you share it?
Ya even I get the same error, looks like their website is a fad. Manish can you PM Rajeev Kapoor's mail id. Have to let him know in detail all the service issues..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed