Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 00:28   #781
BHPian

I guess such strong reaction for every move of Fiat is because of sheer love we all have for their cars. See here how ppl are writing like they are heartbroken because this thing is fixed (FGT) and not variable (VGT). And that too, when sid has driven the car and clearly said that it drives good! In comparison when i read Ritz thread most of us are happy to see whatever quality thing MUL offered. C'mon guys, lets wait the car to come before judging it. its open ground in June when all cars are available for test drive with the price tags! Let it be a fair game. (anyway, I am game for GP irrespective of VGt/FGT)

Last edited by kanwal : 16th May 2009 at 00:30.
Old 16th May 2009, 02:15   #782
BHPian

guys dont forget that maruti rattles whereas i am confident that fiat wont so no point comparing swift and gp
Old 16th May 2009, 06:49   #783
BHPian

very true. Its the love for the brand thats given such strong reactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwal View Post
I guess such strong reaction for every move of Fiat is because of sheer love we all have for their cars. See here how ppl are writing like they are heartbroken because this thing is fixed (FGT) and not variable (VGT). And that too, when sid has driven the car and clearly said that it drives good! In comparison when i read Ritz thread most of us are happy to see whatever quality thing MUL offered.
You have hit the nail on the head except for the last statement here about comparing the Punto with the RITZ. I am sure no one here is remotely comparing the Punto with the RITZ or any other car even if they happen to share the same engine. I for one am crest fallen only because I have no options to upgrade too from the GTX I own now in a price bracket of 8 to 12 lakhs. It's been 6 years with the GTX and I saved up for 2 years when I got a whiff of the possibility of the Punto being launched here in India. I wanted something better than what I have now but now would anyone here in this site recommend the Punto to me over the GTX. It might ride better than the GTX but would it better the sheer grunt I have now with me. FIAT owners have such expectations from the cars from this stable that anything less than perfect is a big let down. Please note I am not talking about expectations from the service centers here which has improved no doubt but not yet in the league of Toyota. Well it's not a perfect world anyway. I still have hope for the Punto to be released with the 1.6vgt engine in 2 years time and till then its the GTX for personnal use.
Old 16th May 2009, 10:50   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
..... I have no options to upgrade too from the GTX I own now in a price bracket of 8 to 12 lakhs.
...... I wanted something better than what I have now but now would anyone here in this site recommend the Punto to me over the GTX. ....

......I still have hope for the Punto to be released with the 1.6vgt engine in 2 years time and till then its the GTX for personnal use.

. Same here. As you said, the GP may be better feeling/ride etc but from a sheer fun/pleasure driving and BHP factor, the GP is nowhere close to 1.6 GTX/S10

So for us 1.6 GTX owners, it is an even more wait to a better hatchback than the current 100 horses that we have
Old 16th May 2009, 11:10   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I still have hope for the Punto to be released with the 1.6vgt engine in 2 years time and till then its the GTX for personnal use.
I am also in the same dilemma. I was actively considering selling off the S10 for Punto 1.3L VGT. Plan was to pete it to 105bhp.

BUT, we can still buy the 1.3 FGT 75bhp version. Pete it, add some nice performace filters and I am sure you can have a 90-95bhp Punto MJD. I believe Pete's stage 2 remap can get the bhp to over 100 even with the stock 75bhp engine. Is that correct?
Old 16th May 2009, 12:37   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuja365 View Post
guys dont forget that maruti rattles whereas i am confident that fiat wont so no point comparing swift and gp
I'm not sure I agree with that . Seems like several Linea owners (including me) are complaining of rattling!
Old 16th May 2009, 13:43   #787
Senior - BHPian

My SX4 has stopped rattling off late. There was a irritating rattle from the front right side of the dash but that was taken care of at the 30,000kms service. After that it's been shhhhh.....
Old 16th May 2009, 14:38   #788
Senior - BHPian

I contacted Pete's for the tuning box and performance filters. Brief was that I wanted about 100bhp and about 220Nm of torque.

This is the response I got:

Quote:
Hi Amit,

The Pete's Tuning Box is for Turbo Diesel cars ONLY,

We cannot do anything like you want on the Punto but a good filter and
exhaust should get you around 10% power increase. Once the car is out we
will have options for the filter. Don't expect anything more than that.

Rgds,

Reshmi
Pete's Support
Huh? But the Fiat Multijet is a turbo diesel!

The reponse has me

Last edited by amit : 16th May 2009 at 14:44.
Old 16th May 2009, 14:50   #789
BHPian

That is bit of a surprise response from the Petes'. When did Multijet be considered as a non-turbo.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:05   #790
BHPian

Thats Surprising. As per pete's web site both palio & linea can be peted. Palio peted figures are 90 HP & 215NM. Whereas Linea has a figure of 102 HP & 220 Nm torque.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:06   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I contacted Pete's for the tuning box and performance filters. Brief was that I wanted about 100bhp and about 220Nm of torque.

This is the response I got:

Huh? But the Fiat Multijet is a turbo diesel!

The reponse has me
Should be a case of misunderstanding. I was not able to stop laughing for a few minutes when I read the response.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:11   #792
Senior - BHPian

The question I asked was:

Quote:
I am considering buying the Fiat Grande Punto which is
believed to be coming with the 1.3L FGT 75bhp engine.

Having a Palio S10, I would like Punto 75bhp's performance at least on par with the Palio S10. I feel 100bhp and about 225nm torque should be good enough to give me fun on the move.

Is it possible to tune the 75bhp motor to 100bhp with about 220nm torque with the Pete's tuning box? I am willing to consider performace air filter's along with the tuning box to achieve the above figures.
The response is really surprising since I don't see any ambiguity or confusion i the question asked....

Any suggestions on who else in Pete's to approach?
Old 16th May 2009, 15:20   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The question I asked was:

The response is really surprising since I don't see any ambiguity or confusion i the question asked....

Any suggestions on who else in Pete's to approach?
Amit,

I guess, the word Diesel is missing in your post! And you were comparing the GP with the S10 and it may be obvious for them to assume its a petrol GP
Old 16th May 2009, 16:04   #794
Senior - BHPian

Its just a case of misunderstanding.Anyways multijet can be peted and i believe rippergeo nowadays stays at the pete shop,lolz.He wont mind getting some more details if asked ,amit.
ram
Old 16th May 2009, 16:32   #795
BHPian

I hope that the Punto helps FIAT cement its place in the Indian Car Market. I feel its time for them to set up their own independent dealers in the country now. If they do that successfully, then there's no stopping them from capturing the Indian Market.

And I read about a 1.4L Turbo version of the Grande Punto engine which churns out 120 bhp with a top speed of 195 kmph. If that is introduced in India, then the 1.6 GTX owners needn't worry!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks