Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 00:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

Hmm... pricewise it sounds ok. However the fact still remains that it is a 7-8 years old car with a close to 1 lac on the odo. Be very sure of what you are getting into. Honda is anyhow costly when it comes to spares and a car this old will definitely need much more care than normal. It could be costly. Also, how much does the insurance costs now? Check out the last years premium and you will get an idea. On top of that add the costs of tires. If the battery or the clutch gives up within a year that cost will also add up to it. So within a year we could be looking at an expense of say 3.8 lacs as acquisition cost for this car, if not more. And even then there won't be a guarantee that another part won't fail soon.

Now I do not know how the OHCs are priced in your region. Just check if you can get hold of a similar model but at least a couple of years younger (AFAIR, new OHCs were available in 2002-03). A 5-6 years old car with relatively lesser mileage (say around 55-60k) at around 4-4.25lacs may prove to be a far better deal for you.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th August 2007 at 00:56.
Old 17th August 2007, 01:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

2.25 - 2.5L seems to be the right price. (Didn't you say it was a 2nd owner car ?)
Old 17th August 2007, 11:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
2.25 - 2.5L seems to be the right price. (Didn't you say it was a 2nd owner car ?)
It's single owner.
@Zappo.
The insurance was something around 12 or 13K last year, So that accounts to 13K for myself to renew the insurance(cough up the NCB to the first owner).
2 tyres will cost me around 6K..
Apart from this I don't think I have to spend anything on this car.. May be a minor service.
Can someone guide me about the maintainence of OHC.
regards
Old 17th August 2007, 13:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

Uh! I think you are mistaken about the insurance part of it.

You are NOT required to cough out any NCB to anyone. Who gave you this idea in the first place? NCB is not transferrable. What that means is even if you and the current owner agree to it the insurance company will not transfer the NCB to you. NCB belongs to the driver. And it stays with him period.

Only the insurance is transferred to the new owner. What that means is that the insurance company will not take the NCB into account when they charge you the premium.

Oh! its only the two tyres is it? The rest three are ok? Well, in that case the hitch is that it is generally recommended that you should change all your tyres together when they wear out. The fact that only two tyres need replacement means that the tyre rotation was not done. Shows carelessness of the owner. Look at those tyres very very closely. The wear out should be very verrrry even all over it. If the tread pattern shows any sign of more wear on any side than the rest of the tyre there could be major problem. Easiest will be if its only a alignment and balancing issue. However with a car this old it may also be a far bigger problem (and costlier as well).

Are you sure things like battery, clutch, brakes, suspensions everything are in top notch condition and will last at least another 2 years for you (say 22000 kms)? If not it will have to be added to the cost of acquisition. In fact any other cost that you may have to bear before the expiry of 2 years from the date of purchase will be a part of the cost of acquisition. So check everything including the underbody very carefully and take your call pal.

However if you have made your decision and your heart is set on this car then best of luck. And do post the pics once you have purchased the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
It's single owner.
@Zappo.
The insurance was something around 12 or 13K last year, So that accounts to 13K for myself to renew the insurance(cough up the NCB to the first owner).
2 tyres will cost me around 6K..
Apart from this I don't think I have to spend anything on this car.. May be a minor service.
Can someone guide me about the maintainence of OHC.
regards
Old 17th August 2007, 14:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hmm .. I have very less knowledge on the insurance part. So I thought I have to pay the same premium which the first owner was paying.
Everything looks good, Coz I have enquired about the car from where it was regularly serviced.
Yep I'm planning to change all 5 tyres..
Well my usage is 15,000 kms / year.
How much mileage can I expect from the car , both in city, highway. It's 1.3 Exi
Usually i'm a light footed driver :-)
Old 17th August 2007, 15:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Zappo, mate you just need to read some long term reviews of the Ohc.
I posted mine a couple of weeks ago, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-80-000km.html

Susrutha, to answer a few of your questions:

The quote you have got is quite reasonable when compared to the skyward prices i have heard on the used cars down south, in mumbai the same car would fetch around 2.5L

At 85,000 kms, you will surely need a clutch change anytime soon if the previous owner has not changed the same in the past.
New clucth plate and bearing should cost you in the range of 3,500 and to that you could add labour charges.

Honda authorised service centers are expensive when it comes to major repairs, such as radiator change, clutch change, e.t.c and you could save yourself some serious money by finding a competent individual garage.
Ideally you could send your car to the service centre for a regular service, at the end of the service the concerned person would give you a service summary which would include all the work the car needs.
I would take this list to the friendly neighbourhood garage, and get work done for peanuts when compared to an authorised service centre.

The 1.3 Ohc would be good for 10-12 kmpl, depending on driving style, a member ZENX from bangalore has recently redone his 1.3 Ohc, you should check with him for his ownership experience.

Another consumable you will in most probability need is a set of brake pads, which should set you back by around 2k, and just get the engine mounts checked too. There is a good chance you could have one or two broken ones at 85,000.

Honda engines are built to last, and expecting one to not go down on you for a long time, is certainly not expecting too much

manson.
Old 17th August 2007, 17:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks manson,
It's really helpful. I have read your review sometime back.
will finalise the car in a couple of days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks